Ford In Talks With Google To Build Self-Driving Cars

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to rumblings from the rumor mill, Google and Ford are in talks to build self-driving cars. Apparently the companies will be making some sort of announcement at CES.

Google is said to be in talks with automaker Ford Motor Co (F.N) to help build the Internet search company's autonomous cars, Automotive News reported, citing a person with knowledge of the project. The contract manufacturing deal, if finalized, is expected to come during the annual International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas during the first week of January, Automotive News said.

They want to make a self driving car but they can't make a car that tells you when your brakes lights are out.

Great, one more car that'll totally be spying on the driver and everything going on around it at all times for the purposes of mining data to better sell you a tube of booty rash cream.

Wahoo another reason for anything that has a blue oval on it to cost 5k more for no reason at all.

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

While not that bad, the only American branded and manufactured car I've ever bought new was a Ford, and it had more problems over the 10 years I owned it than the other 6 new cars I've bought, combined. Luckily I bought the extended warranty which covered most the repairs. Best investment I ever made.

Wife also had a Ford when we married, and I spent more on repairs over the next few years than I had on the previous 5 cars I owned.

Needless to say, I doubt I'll ever buy another Ford.

So they're be running Windows 10 then. :D

Heh, you know Microsoft would do it if they could. Though, can't you get Microsoft stuff in cars already? Maybe they already are going after where you go and how you drive with the intention of mining for delicious behavioral gold. They might be pretty far ahead of Google in that respect.

While not that bad, the only American branded and manufactured car I've ever bought new was a Ford, and it had more problems over the 10 years I owned it than the other 6 new cars I've bought, combined. Luckily I bought the extended warranty which covered most the repairs. Best investment I ever made.

Wife also had a Ford when we married, and I spent more on repairs over the next few years than I had on the previous 5 cars I owned.

Needless to say, I doubt I'll ever buy another Ford.

Interesting. I've owned nothing but Fords my entire life and not had much of any problems. In-fact, my old truck just refuses to die even after the previous owner did absolutely zero maintenance on it for close to 12 years(They did some oil changes and put gas in it tho).

Interesting. I've owned nothing but Fords my entire life and not had much of any problems. In-fact, my old truck just refuses to die even after the previous owner did absolutely zero maintenance on it for close to 12 years(They did some oil changes and put gas in it tho).

It was a Ford Explorer. Initially it was in the shop 2x for an lighting problem with the dash (never really fixed), then engine was replace at 7K, the transmission at 28k and again at 59k, along with several other problems with the sunroof, and main computer. All maintenance was done on schedule, I never went off road, and I never towed anything, in fact it was usually just me in the car. At least I got a free set of new tires when the Firestones where recalled :)

My next car (Toyota) was 11 years old when I sold it, and it was never in the shop except for normal maintenance like oil and tire changes. The few minor problems I had (like a bad relay) where simple fixes I could do myself. The wife's car (also a Toyota but made in America) is now 9 years old and other than a minor recall issue has never been in the shop either.

Back