Bittorrent Still Dominates Internet’s Upstream Traffic

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
New data suggests that people love sharing Linux ISOs more than ever.

A new report published by broadband management company Sandvine reveals that torrent traffic is now responsible for 29% of all U.S. Internet traffic in North America during peak hours, up from 25% last year. This means that well over a quarter all megabytes uploaded during the busiest time of the day can be traced back to torrents.

So how does Netflix dominate the downstream but it's barely a blip on the upstream?
Shouldn't the most downloaded stuff also translate to that place also being the one that uploads the most? I mean it's not like they're talking about from a home user's perspective only because those people obviously aren't uploading to Netflix.

So how does Netflix dominate the downstream but it's barely a blip on the upstream?
Shouldn't the most downloaded stuff also translate to that place also being the one that uploads the most? I mean it's not like they're talking about from a home user's perspective only because those people obviously aren't uploading to Netflix.

If you mean because Netflix uploads to you, that's counted as your download.
If you mean what's uploaded to Netflix, I assume that's feedback to Netflix about your connection, increase/decrease quality, pause/resume and so on.

considering the other 75% is made up of end users botnet compromised machines its no wonder. lol

If you mean because Netflix uploads to you, that's counted as your download.
If you mean what's uploaded to Netflix, I assume that's feedback to Netflix about your connection, increase/decrease quality, pause/resume and so on.
See I thought about something like that, but there's no way that would be such a huge amount of traffic, 6.78% of all internet upload is pretty substantial and a bit too much for "note: pause, note: quality decrease" type of requests.

Back