Microsoft Holds Annual Shareholder Meeting

HardOCP News

[H] News
Speaking to shareholders at Microsoft Corp.’s annual meeting today, chief executive officer Satya Nadella highlighted the company’s strategic and cultural transformation that position it for new growth opportunities. “For us, everything we do is motivated by our mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more,” Nadella said. “We’re transforming our culture by approaching every day with a growth mindset and desire to delight our customers, so we realize our mission and ultimately drive long-term value for our shareholders.”

Executive vice president and chief financial officer Amy Hood recapped Microsoft’s solid fiscal year 2015 performance and reported a strong start to the current fiscal year. Hood noted that the company remains fiscally disciplined while investing in high-growth opportunities to deliver long-term shareholder value.

I think Nadella needs to go. He is gutting out the company and nothing good is coming from it.

I think Nadella needs to go. He is gutting out the company and nothing good is coming from it.

When their stock is near all time highs that would be a difficult case to make. I think overall Microsoft's track has been good under Nadella but it's yet to be seen how he's going to drive growth.

The big question of phones remains and their was an interesting comment yesterday from Ballmer about Windows Phones needing to run Android apps. Which is something that Microsoft was working on and apparently ran into difficulties even as they pursue working on iOS app porting. So phones are going to continue to be a big problem. However it does look like Microsoft's cloud business is soaring (that's where Nadella came from) and that's pretty much going to be the thing that saves Microsoft bacon in the smartphone era if it can get iOS and Android users onto it's services.

On the more positive side, most facts seem to show good growth for Windows 10 up to this point and enterprises seem to be interested in it. The Surface line has done a 180. Xbox is doing a bit better than at launch though running second place still.

So some had changed, some more bright spots but phones are going to be the albatross which Microsoft will never be big in but needs to find it's niche like it has in tablets where at least it can remain relevant and make some money.

They would have a HUGE selling phone if they had one that could run both Android and iOS apps. That would be a big game changer in the mobile market.

Not sure if that's a serious comment or not. He's definitely made some cuts in the development and testing parts of the org, but that's because the company needed to learn to be more agile. Microsoft has innovated more during Satya's tenure than it ever did with Ballmer.

They would have a HUGE selling phone if they had one that could run both Android and iOS apps. That would be a big game changer in the mobile market.

Unfortunately, it'll never happen with Apple's walled garden.

As has been noted, that's never going to happen with Apple. And secondly it's very redundant. Project Islandwood, the iOS porting framework, would be ideal IF Microsoft can make it easy enough. But Islandwood really looked to be more of a way to get iOS tablet apps over to Windows, which given the growth of Windows devices is something that I believe will get more developers on board. Project Astroria, was assuming that it's canned for now, was just emulating Android apps what would need little effort to port as is over to the Windows Store. That would definitely help but then you'd have a lot of apps out there that would no doubt be problematic and developers wouldn't care because all they were working on was Android and Windows phones were at best a little free gravy.

It does like an Surface Phone is on the way. I'm assuming it's going to be x86 compatible, it would have to be at this point I'd think because it's really the only interesting and unique thing Microsoft can readily do at this point that will be niche but should be able to make money.

Back