Users Report AMD Crimson Driver Heating And Killing GPUs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Have any of you experienced this? Luckily, there appears to be a temporary fix for those who are affected.

Reddit has a lot of reports from users who are saying that after they had installed the latest Crimson driver, the fan remained locked at 20%. This is usually happening without the knowledge of the user, who usually finds out when the system crashes. If they’re lucky, the system will reboot, but that's not always the case. It’s possible for GPU to die in the process, and that makes things a lot more complicated.

AMD or Advanced Microsoft Developers must have switched to the Microsoft QA philosophy.

I DLed this yesterday. Installed it not knowing about Crimson. I just opened it up and it seemed pretty nice. Then I got a warning "Radeon Settings: Host Application has stopped working". Oh well..never an early adopter be

I haven't noticed any issue but then again my gpu is under water.

So far these drivers have been great on my rig.

Just checked this for my crossfire 280x setup and it was not an issue because I had not accepted the Overdrive terms of service / agreement. If I had clicked accept previously, then the fans would be fixed at 20%....

I haven't noticed any issue but then again my gpu is under water.

So far these drivers have been great on my rig.

Same here. The drivers even fixed a flicker issue I was having on some games (ex, CS:GO, Overwatch) that I could only fix by going to Windowed Fullscreen mode.

I don't see this issue with my MSI R9 390X. It works better than the old CC. Maybe people need to check up the global OC settings, and make sure everything there correct settings.

Using on my R9 280x cards, 7950, APUs and no such bug.

Even if the was an issue the BIOS safety settings would kick in and throttle the the cards to safe temperatures.

/shrug

This hasn't happened to me, with my CrossFire 280xs. I'm going to revert to the previous driver version just to be on the safe side. Crimson drivers have a small issue with part of the UI corrupting in Fallout 4 on my system anyway.

I don't use the AMD software for the GPU fan, so I'm going to hope I won't be affected by this.

Using on my R9 280x cards, 7950, APUs and no such bug.

Even if the was an issue the BIOS safety settings would kick in and throttle the the cards to safe temperatures.

/shrug

Willing to bet the fans failed and they're blaming the drivers instead. In which case you should blame Asus, XFX, or whatever card you bought.

Smells like FUD. The GPU will halt the system if it overheats.

Reminds me of an incident years ago when FUD went around the forums about nVidia drivers somehow killing monitors.

I loaded these up the other day.

I got a little bump in framerate in a couple games.

My cards are watercooled, so no issues. Hehe, R9 290X fans are so damn load I think you'd know if there was an issue......:eek:

The new GUI is pretty, but it's just CCC with lipstick.

At first I thought PRIME1 posted this. Smells like the crap he would post, true or not.

Smells like FUD. The GPU will halt the system if it overheats.

Reminds me of an incident years ago when FUD went around the forums about nVidia drivers somehow killing monitors.
Yup. The overheat protection should be saving the GPU if the fans fail or stay at low rpm. You'll get errors and lockups but your GPU should be fine.

I am truly wondering if it is caused by previous overclocked settings being copied over. Also, I wonder how many of these folks have afterburner or Trixx installed. I know Afterburner causes nothing but issues with my R9 290X and these drivers. The only way to fix it was to use a system restore point to fix the issues.

I installed the crimson driver on my I5-4570 + R9 290 machine & this morning I had graphical corruption when I sat down at my desk after leaving the machine off overnight. WTF?

I installed the crimson driver on my I5-4570 + R9 290 machine & this morning I had graphical corruption when I sat down at my desk after leaving the machine off overnight. WTF?

I forgot to add that I have been using the control panel to overclock and so far, no issues. (Well, other than the cnet.exe crashing on shutdown when I have the card overclocked to far.) In all seriousness, do you have a overclocking utility installed?

Argh, can't edit: FWIW I've always run stock...

I am truly wondering if it is caused by previous overclocked settings being copied over. Also, I wonder how many of these folks have afterburner or Trixx installed. I know Afterburner causes nothing but issues with my R9 290X and these drivers. The only way to fix it was to use a system restore point to fix the issues.

I saw this and was thinking this is probably a registry issue from people with prior OC settings and maybe custom overclocking utilities. I mean it sort of seems weird the fix is to turn fan control to auto, when its supposed to be on auto from the onset of installation.

While I concur that GPU temp protection should be saving the cards, perhaps people are being stubborn and immediately turning the system back on, over and over, thus keeping the chip constantly in the red?

I don't have an ATI card, but I've warned a couple of less(meaning, not at all) technically-savvy friends about this and told them to wait until a fix is out. Better safe then sorry, until this is resolved.

Iv'e always wanted to like AMD. However all the cards that I purchased excpet for the 9700 Pro got returned within 30 days. I always have had issues with drivers in current games that I was playing at the time.

I use the built-in FPS limiter, so my R9 290 rarely hits any highs for heat. Only issue has been with the compass in Fallout 4, which there's a mod that fixes it until AMD releases an update.

Its not possible that this is damaging cards.
The fan doesnt stop, it just runs at a slow speed.
The card will throttle to keep within a safe temperature.

All the will happen is the card runs slower at the throttling temperature.
If this could cause damage, it would have been happening for years.

Its not possible that this is damaging cards.
The fan doesnt stop, it just runs at a slow speed.
The card will throttle to keep within a safe temperature.

All the will happen is the card runs slower at the throttling temperature.
If this could cause damage, it would have been happening for years.

Yet it is obviously big enough of an issue for AMD to put out a hotfix via Twitter.
What happens if the card cannot throttle anymore and temps are high, oh and the driver is bugged and cannot/does not notify the OS to perform an emergency shut down? Far fetched, but possible.

Yet it is obviously big enough of an issue for AMD to put out a hotfix via Twitter.
What happens if the card cannot throttle anymore and temps are high, oh and the driver is bugged and cannot/does not notify the OS to perform an emergency shut down? Far fetched, but possible.

Strange you dont think fans running at 20% would require a quickly released hotfix.

Throttling is not driver based, the card controls it.

I'd wage the hotfix is just for PR, since the cards will indeed throttle themselves and are quite safe.

If you've done coin mining, you've probably experienced this safety throttling at one point or another... no game can match the heat generated when mining...

I'd wage the hotfix is just for PR, since the cards will indeed throttle themselves and are quite safe.

If you've done coin mining, you've probably experienced this safety throttling at one point or another... no game can match the heat generated when mining...

My thoughts exactly.

Who uses stock coolers? One more reason to choose water or a real air cooler.

And I'd wager the kids complaining on Reddit and twitter about dead cards are just angling for a free GPU.

Who uses stock coolers? One more reason to choose water or a real air cooler.

I use a stock cooler. :) I prefer my warranty to be intact and also, VRM cooling on aftermarket air coolers are terrible.

Cards shut down if they get too hot.

Why wouldn't they fix a bug that would cause cards to throttle ASAP?

Well really, a faulty driver could be as insignificant as causing a super-rare 1-in-a-million slowdown in a 15 year old game, but if anti-AMD people make enough noise and press the hell out of the issue, then AMD has to react on it.

Well really, a faulty driver could be as insignificant as causing a super-rare 1-in-a-million slowdown in a 15 year old game, but if anti-AMD people make enough noise and press the hell out of the issue, then AMD has to react on it.

My Sapphire 390X got fans locked "at 20%", which its not only locked is really stuck OFF unable to move, with or without crimson, I normally use afterburner for OSD and custom fan profile, afterburner can't make the fans turn ON, the profile seems to be working because If in the OSD the fan RPM move as like they were working, but the fact is the fans are completely turned off. used Trixx no way to make it work, reverted to catalyst 15.7 and guess what also doesn't work, fans just don't work anymore and it was after the Crimson driver installation.

Both my 7970s show 20% fan all of the time, but because they are underwater and never go above 40c under load, I never knew it was an issue. I guess it still isn't.

After leaving leaving ( exiting) some games that have apps ( like steam and or raptr overlay) gpu tweak fails to return the gobal 'tweak' settings to defaults ( even on restart start up ) .

I have had the fan setting revert to zero percent after exiting '(steam)just cause(1)' but the gpu remains at 975mhz ( r9270 ) ...this could obviously be very problematic on air cooled systems

also.. firefox locked up * w7 entirely* and completely after trying to run outdated flash with the new amd drivers .

innovation always pays for it's experimental nature...though it's no reasons to quit innovating

I should add though that , this driver release seems more than a little semi-adaptive even without internet connectivity; i.e. the driver behavior changes if manual changes to the system are invoked.

I highly suspect that it is the product of neuralnetwork computational analysis' baby of hardware/software integration optimization as seen through machine eyes, and incorporating very limited self correcting instruction sets...a very talented baby with a gun so to speak

Back