Microsoft's Female Workforce Shrank 2% Last Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Men are to blame for this. I don't know how or why, but men are to blame.

The decline was due to layoffs from the restructuring of the phone businesses Microsoft acquired from Nokia last year, Gwen Houston, Microsoft's general manager of global diversity and inclusion, wrote in the report. As part of the restructuring, the company eliminated many manufacturing jobs at factories outside the US. Those jobs were held by a high percentage of women, she said.

maxresdefault.jpg

I know what you meant, but the first thought that came to me was... So they lost weight? :p

general manager of global diversity and inclusion

Ok we gonna higher some white people here, black people here, some mexicans there, sprinkle some asians on top and maybe some native americans on the side? I'd love to have that job...

well good for them, does the article indicate how they did it; cutting carbs, exercise?

It almost sounds like they fired a bunch of Asian ladies....the one working in the factories.

Ok we gonna higher some white people here, black people here, some mexicans there, sprinkle some asians on top and maybe some native americans on the side? I'd love to have that job...
Yeah, it couldn't be a job where someone is responsible for reviewing policies and practices to make sure that qualified people aren't being discriminated against based on their sex, ethnicity, religion, etc. :rolleyes:

This is some straight up orwellian shit. Companies have a "global manager of diveristy and inclusion" now. Just let that sink in folks. We really have crossed the point of no return, I don't know there's any coming back from the PC insanity at this point.

Oh no, what ever will the misogynists do? with so few women around, there will be a shortage of asses to grab!

"The company also said that 30.6 percent of hires from universities are women, up from 27.7 percent the previous year."

What percentage of the applicants are women?

"The company also said that 30.6 percent of hires from universities are women, up from 27.7 percent the previous year."

Irrelevant if I'm trying to torture the data to say what I want it to say.

Numbers 101 man. I'm being paid to provide a result, not honest ethical research! That's just silly.

;)

Irrelevant if I'm trying to torture the data to say what I want it to say.

Numbers 101 man. I'm being paid to provide a result, not honest ethical research! That's just silly.

;)

Sounds more like investment banking to me. :p

In my experience - a smaller number (roughly 20-30% in my most recent set of interviews). I was impressed by most of the women who came in, a far higher percentage than the guys. I don't know if it is because of the feeling of "something to prove" or some other reason, but I do know that a higher percentage of the women I interviewed recently were "flyback" quality than guys. I haven't yet seen the results of their team interviews, but that percentage applying is a huge jump from eight years ago when I graduated... I think there were fewer women in total in the computer science/computer engineering field than I interviewed this last trip.

On the flip side, there were a couple guys who blew me away in the interview room (in those interviews, I was certainly the more dumb of the two of us), but no gals had the same level of sheer expression of genius. Whether that's due to cultural or situational limitations on expression, or if the thing about "men and women have the same average intelligence, but guys have a wider deviation" is true, it was very refreshing to see applications from much stronger candidates in both genders than we were getting 2-4 years ago.

Get your employees to identify as gender fluid and then you can choose which sex benefits you most.

I dream of a day were we all can piss and shit in the same facilities free of segregation and partitions between the sexes. Just think of how we can continue our meetings with unisex open bathrooms.

Too-Public-Restroom.jpg

As more women are finally moving into math and engineering, this disparity will shift in 5-10 years. But to expect a company like Microsoft to be able to hire a workforce that doesn't exist is just moronic. As for as the equality manager, for a company the size of Microsoft it makes sense. I have seen some pretty crazy racism and sexism in large companies. There are often old managers and even you guys who come in with some pretty fixed beliefs that will impede the mobility and progress of people.

The way many men in tech treat women is unbelievable. I don't encourage my daughter to join that.

you might want to change that some. The way that many men treat women in general is unbelievable. There is nothing really special about the tech field.

Back