US Advised To Examine 'Hack Back' Options Against China

HardOCP News

[H] News
Congress is considering allowing U.S. companies "hack back" Chinese attackers to recover stolen data. Sounds good to me. :D

The United States remains ill-prepared to combat state-backed cyber intrusions from China and lawmakers should look at whether U.S.-based companies be allowed to 'hack back' to recover or wipe stolen data, a congressional advisory body said Tuesday.

Yeah, I am sure they don't air gap any data jackpot they would get.

I am not sure this article makes any sense, but then again, who cares, is not like this big companies could not finance off shore hacking offices if that really helps them.. I mean they could finance it with their off shore billions to boot.

I think any sort of attacking is asking for trouble. Its like trolling and troll on a forum like this. You never win, you just bring yourself down to their level.

Its better to just secure sensitive information and operations better.

What Z3ro said.

But at the same time, the same company that allows themselves to be hacked will then have the sophistication to zero in on the exact target and then "hack back"? Yeah, I see that ending well when companies all start hacking each other in a circle jerk of retaliation and mistaken attribution of attacks.

take your shit off the inner tubes and create your own intranet. Power grid should do the same, among others. Solutions are right there and obvious, but lame ass excuses like "cost" are always brought to the forefront. Well, just how much does losing sensitive data cost you I say? Things like this are never resolved and it really is downright pathetic.

So, some real hacker spoofs a chump's IP address and launches some kind of attack on a small company. IT department at company sees the attack as coming from the chump's spoofed IP and attacks back. Is chump allowed to attack back against the IT department? It would seriously become complete chaos in days with all of the attacks and spoofing going on. :eek:

I can only imagine how few IT departments are capable of doing anything like that. Especially doing it right and to the correct target. Not that I could either...

This shouldnt be news. If they are going.to give the go ahead, it should.be silent. Ffs congress.

I grew up playing Shadowrun and Cyberpunk as some of my RPG staples...seeing a headline like this makes me think: "Welcome to the dark future, chummers."

Private companies attacking back would be a pretty good debate in my mind - if cyber attack attribution was easy. Also, what is an attack? Could two US multinational corporations attack each other's Chinese assets by claiming an attack?

These seems like a horrible idea that would bring us closer to our dystopian cyber punk future.

This is bad.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Once your data compromised, it's out in the open. There is no 'taking it back'.

Back