Conficker Worm Discovered In Police Body Cameras

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have a brilliant idea! Let's pre-install a worm on police body cameras, that way we'll have video proof of the cops kicking our ass when they catch us. :D

During testing and evaluation of the Martel Electronics product, Jarrett Pavao and Charles Auchinleck, discovered that multiple body cameras had been shipped to iPower preloaded with the Win32/Conficker.B!inf worm virus. When the camera was connected to a computer, iPower's antivirus software immediately caught the virus and quarantined it. However, if the computer did not have antivirus actively protecting the computer it would automatically run and start propagating itself through the network and internet.

Me thinks that the computer used to program/test these before they received them was infected.

Are they required to wear it all the time or only when they're about to respond to a call? If it's the former then I can just imagine the amount of lawsuit that'll come out when toilet break vds start showing up.

Are they required to wear it all the time or only when they're about to respond to a call? If it's the former then I can just imagine the amount of lawsuit that'll come out when toilet break vds start showing up.

I think they hit record when they exit the car.

If someone is trying to find a way to actively infiltrate police forces across the country, this would be a way to do it.

I think they hit record when they exit the car.

Very convenient then when they forget to hit record and then a suspect (regardless of how guilty he/she is) is beaten.

Some use a wifi connection from the car to automatically record on set triggers. Lights and siren, emergency button, crash detection, and shotgun/rifle rack opening are a few.

Others start recording when the button is pushed.

Lets see... these body cameras are electronic devices... most parts for electronic devices come from or pass through China... Nah I don't have any idea how a virus could be pre-loaded into the firmware of something like a body camera especially when its at a time where the entire US police force is equipping them...

The camera should be recording constantly, there should not be a way to shut it off imo.
Data cannot be deleted either.
Stored somewhere no invested interests in the police force can touch it.

The camera should be recording constantly, there should not be a way to shut it off imo.
Data cannot be deleted either.
Stored somewhere no invested interests in the police force can touch it.

You really want to have, as a matter of public record, seeing a police officer eating lunch, taking a dump, or anything else related to some modicum of personal activity within the scope of their work?

Back