What You Say On Twitter Reveals How Much Money You Make

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know how researchers came up with these statistics. Every damn social media post I've ever seen shows nothing but successful, millionaires with beautiful wives, great children and lifestyles that are waaaay better than yours or mine. ;)

The scientists mapped Twitter users to their income based on their use of certain types of language. Users perceived as 'religiously unaffiliated and less anxious' appeared to have higher earnings. These higher income users were found to have "significantly more followers" and get retweeted more often.

Oh the algorithms all these companies must be developing with the Big Data they're collecting must be drool worthy indeed.

... There is so much that can go wrong from even trying to draw conclusions based on this type of study...

I stay well the hell away from Twitter in general though.

So how much do they believe I'm making if I stay very far from Twitter?

I hate twitter and it's ilk for the inane churn that goes on in 99.999995% of the feeds. That .000005% comes in handy during natural disasters makes it worth keeping around.

/get off my lawn
//don't post my signs on Instagram
///water from the hose is cold on purpose

I don't know how researchers came up with these statistics. Every damn social media post I've ever seen shows nothing but successful, millionaires with beautiful wives, great children and lifestyles that are waaaay better than yours or mine. ;)

The scientists mapped Twitter users to their income based on their use of certain types of language. Users perceived as 'religiously unaffiliated and less anxious' appeared to have higher earnings. These higher income users were found to have "significantly more followers" and get retweeted more often.

Translation people with higher wage jobs need to walk on egg shells more to ensure they keep those jobs.

So how much do they believe I'm making if I stay very far from Twitter?

That's the fatal flaw in a study like this.
There's a large portion of the population that doesn't go anywhere near Twitter, so any result is based on people with too much time to waste.

Twitter in general is a great platform to lead others to other, better, mediums (say your company website, a blog, etc.) or to bring about some sort of discussion, ELSEWHERE. Other than that...dumbass tool for dumbasses generally.

nuh uh, ain't none of yall knowin nothin bout me. don be hatin on me cuz i be makin mor stacks than u. #hatethegamenottheplaya

(actually felt neurons exploding in my head, never to be seen again...)

So glad i'm a old fart now and don't give a shit about twitter or any other stupid social look at my face media bullshit.

That's the fatal flaw in a study like this.
There's a large portion of the population that doesn't go anywhere near Twitter, so any result is based on people with too much time to waste.
It's not a flaw because those people aren't part of the data the data takes what content people post on twitter to reveal earning potential. It's specific to twitter users saying it doesn't include twitter users is like saying anything is flawed for not including people that had nothing to do with the data they gathered.

Back