BitTorrent CEO: Citizen Privacy Trumps National Security

HardOCP News

[H] News
Would you expect the CEO of BitTorrent to say anything different?

The privacy of individual citizens trumps even national security interests. That was the message this week from BitTorrent Inc. CEO Eric Klinker, who told an audience in southern Chile that the Internet should be both free and private, and no citizen should be afraid to use it.

The problem with using "national security" as an excuse, for violating peoples privacy, is that inevitably this approach is misused in an effort to bypass due process.

exactly what is considered national security now a days? DVD pirating?

I was about to post something similar. Maybe these need well outlined to the public to help better understand why we cant have any feeling of privacy.

The issue is that "privacy" is determined by the government. National Security is also determined by the government. Privacy affects the citizen. Security affects the government.

Which do you think will have precedence in practical operations?

This is like your boss telling you to choose between doing your work or doing his work. Which would you feel obligated to do, and which would you prefer to do?

Bomb

Plane

knife

president

explode

anarchy

Did I just make the NSA top 10 list? Come get me bitches .....

Oh shit!!!

The problem with "National Security" is all the shit they attach to it because of special interest groups that throw money at government officials as "campaign contributions". Want to give a public talk about how people should consider eating less beef to curb obesity and heart disease? Congratulations! Since the Patriot Act passed you're now on a government watch list for "threatening the food supply", an issue of national security!

Personal privacy should absolutely trump national security.

Would you expect the CEO of BitTorrent to say anything different?

The privacy of individual citizens trumps even national security interests. That was the message this week from BitTorrent Inc. CEO Eric Klinker, who told an audience in southern Chile that the Internet should be both free and private, and no citizen should be afraid to use it.

He is right,

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Did I just make the NSA top 10 list? Come get me bitches
Be careful. One of our patients (certified mentally 'challenged') told the cops he was going to 'end the life of' the evil busch (intentionally misspelled), and gave his plan. He spent a couple of years in the clink for his threat, until we had a new potus. Be very, very careful what you write or say. There's always someone listening.

Back