IBM Gave Chinese Government Access To Its Product Code

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This seems a little worrisome because other U.S. tech companies may feel compelled to follow IBM’s lead.

Officials from China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology reportedly reviewed IBM’s source code in a secure space where they couldn’t remove the data; the decision was reportedly made to calm Chinese fears that IBM software would present a security risk.

I wouldn't be surprised if similar things happen in other countries, including the U.S. Honestly, since 9/11, it seems like we've become a lot more like those places we hate. We're still a free country, but the spying/monitoring, never mind the efforts to circumvent due process in the name of fighting terrorism sounds like a page out of the old Soviet Union.

whenever i read "secure space" or something similar, i imagine someone easily downloading everything with a simple usb stick because it was setup by the IT intern in 20 minutes.

I don't blame them. Our country has the worst track record when it comes to spying and injecting code with intentional security holes.

We have done nothing to foster the good will of other nations.

I don't blame them. Our country has the worst track record when it comes to spying and injecting code with intentional security holes.
We have done nothing to foster the good will of other nations.

Which over the last 15 years has stripped us of the moral authority we once had. I remember when It hought it was crazy to let other countries have a say in icann, but these days I feel were better than many (most?), but at some point we gave up on striving for the American Ideal.

Back