Rally Driver Plays DiRT Rally

That's very impressive. I didn't expect him to do that well without accurate road, car, and g-force feedback queues.

That's very impressive. I didn't expect him to do that well without accurate road, car, and g-force feedback queues.

Yeah, just got a G27 wheel yesterday. Just ffb steering leaves a lot to be desired, haha. There was a gamer a while back that went into racing, and they said he was good iirc.

Wish I would have had games to practice with before my first rallys (upside down in a ditch couple of times >.<). All we had though was like Cruisin' USA and NFS: Porsche Unleashed - probably my favorite racing game ever. And haha, yeah no force feedback! The initial D arcade series were really good for their time too.

Yeah, just got a G27 wheel yesterday. Just ffb steering leaves a lot to be desired, haha. There was a gamer a while back that went into racing, and they said he was good iirc.
A lot of the drivers who have come out of GT Academy have had success in one way or another.

Response time and looking ahead a lot to see what is coming i am sure plays a large part of it.

I would think the biggest thing a game couldn't prepare you for is the actual g-forces experienced in racing. I want to see videos of gamers put behind the wheel of actual race cars immediately after doing several laps in their preferred game. That would be hilarious.

I want a setup like that for iRacing.

But look into GT Academy run by Nissan and PlayStation. You'd be surprised.

Response time and looking ahead a lot to see what is coming i am sure plays a large part of it.

Oh ya I understand that but pushing your vehicle to the limit is also a lot about actual feel and force. A game can't pass on the g-force queues those drivers are used to. Also the vibration and feedback is going to feel a lot different than what they know from a real a car. I'm not a racer by any means but I've learned to know exactly what my honda is telling me by feel when I corner to her limits.

Gamer racer turned pro doesn't sound that far fetched to me.

Consider how much time a pilot must put in on a flight simulator before the real thing.

Oh ya I understand that but pushing your vehicle to the limit is also a lot about actual feel and force. A game can't pass on the g-force queues those drivers are used to. Also the vibration and feedback is going to feel a lot different than what they know from a real a car. I'm not a racer by any means but I've learned to know exactly what my honda is telling me by feel when I corner to her limits.

What vehicle does Honda make that's worth driving at the limit, isn't their whole lineup FWD (or part-time awd with fwd bias)?

What vehicle does Honda make that's worth driving at the limit, isn't their whole lineup FWD (or part-time awd with fwd bias)?
In the real world, nearly every car is fun driving at its limits no matter how far from neutral those limits are.

Honda makes the NSX, by the way. The Integra and S2000 were some fun cars that they used to make.

Consider how much time a pilot must put in on a flight simulator before the real thing.

Yeah, and given Just how accurate games can be these days it makes sense.

In the real world, nearly every car is fun driving at its limits no matter how far from neutral those limits are.

This. Give me any car and tell me to have fun until it breaks, and I'll have an absolute blast even in a 1990 Festiva. Unless it's automatic.

This. Give me any car and tell me to have fun until it breaks, and I'll have an absolute blast even in a 1990 Festiva. Unless it's automatic.

Damn no editing, accidentally made my reply inside the first quote.

Also forgot to mention that I'd be interested in actually hearing the guys thoughts on how the game captured the feel of actually doing it.

Mmm, Fundersteer...
Sure, I can have a blast thrashing a rental Honda, but I can't go into a Honda dealership and buy one thinking "Here's a fun car I will enjoy driving at the limit!". Every time I approach the limit and it starts pushing wide, scrubbing speed, and ruining my line I'll be cursing myself for not buying a Subaru.

[strike=]Honda[/s] Acura makes the NSX, by the way. The Acura Integra and S2000 were some fun cars that they used to make.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Those R/C airplane sims are also highly valuable, even though it's not quite exactly the same. I got "sort of good" then flew my first r/c plane. My first flight made me realize in 5 seconds that I was under-prepared. Spent another week on the sim perfecting the controls. You gain enough skill that it transfers to continue learning on the real thing.

Most of those GT academy winners actually did actually compete in cars/karts along with doing simulators. Bryan Heitkotter was a multiple Solo national champion (and MR2 enthusiast) before winning the Academy.

Damn, that looks like fun. I always thought I was pretty decent with car games, but only ever really played with a handheld controller. A real setup would be badass.

I don't really track often in the summer - the closest I get to a track frequently is when it snows hard and I take the back roads to work (twice a week), and basically endanger myself by flying my leased Porsche through the snowy curves like a deranged lunatic (don't hate).

I don't want this to turn into a flame war, but uh... You do know that Honda and Acura are the same company, right? Acura is the luxury division of Honda. A lot of the cars we know in the States as Acuras are Hondas in Japan and elsewhere (The Integra/RSX and NSX are good examples of this).

The same is true for Lexus (Toyota) and Infiniti (Nissan).

I don't want this to turn into a flame war, but uh... You do know that Honda and Acura are the same company, right? Acura is the luxury division of Honda. A lot of the cars we know in the States as Acuras are Hondas in Japan and elsewhere (The Integra/RSX and NSX are good examples of this).

Beat me to it. Further examples could be Chevy Buick and GMC and at one point Oldsmobile. Same or similar vehicles different badge. And we can throw Pontiacs and Saturns in there as well. (Solstice, Sky anyone?)

I actually know many people that turned pro racing drivers after being "good" at simulators. I even raced against someone in LFS about 12-13 years ago, who is driving in WTCC today.

I wanted to ask if this game is an actual simulator? Because I steered clear of it so far because of the name that's in my mind associated with crap arcade game.

I wanted to ask if this game is an actual simulator? Because I steered clear of it so far because of the name that's in my mind associated with crap arcade game.

It's a pretty damn good sim. Definitely not arcade.

Mmm, Fundersteer...
Sure, I can have a blast thrashing a rental Honda, but I can't go into a Honda dealership and buy one thinking "Here's a fun car I will enjoy driving at the limit!". Every time I approach the limit and it starts pushing wide, scrubbing speed, and ruining my line I'll be cursing myself for not buying a Subaru.

First, as others have said Acura is owned by Honda, they are the same company. Second, the S2000 is specifically a Honda, not an Acura and it is RWD. Third, Honda has a very rich racing history.

Just to make you more aware: S2000, NSX, Integra

Honda Indy
Honda F1
Honda Rally

etc. etc.

S2000 was RWD and will always be a blast to drive on a track. One of my favorites though I've never gotten around to one myself.

FWD doesn't automatically mean it's no fun. My '15 Focus ST is an absolute blast on the road and on the track. Ford has worked some magic with their eLSD (brake based "torque vectoring") and suspension tuning. Lift-off oversteer is the name of the game with this baby!

The new Civic Type R looks insane too. I'm willing to bet it will be huge fun no matter where you drive it.

I'd like to see a video gamer go from a video game cbr1000rr to the real thing. Results will be hilarious or fatal or possibly both.

Beat me to it. Further examples could be Chevy Buick and GMC and at one point Oldsmobile. Same or similar vehicles different badge. And we can throw Pontiacs and Saturns in there as well. (Solstice, Sky anyone?)
Yeah, Buicks are awesome because GM makes the Corvette Z06, CTS-v and Camaro SS. Oh wait, Buicks ever since the Turbo-Bricks suck.

If they wanted it to be a Honda, they'd badge it a Honda. But they don't, they badge them Acuras.

First, as others have said Acura is owned by Honda, they are the same company. Second, the S2000 is specifically a Honda, not an Acura and it is RWD. Third, Honda has a very rich racing history.

Just to make you more aware: S2000, NSX, Integra

Honda Indy
Honda F1
Honda Rally

etc. etc.
Yeah, the S2000 was the one RWD car Honda made in the last 20 years. But then they stopped making it...And now they all suck. They don't have to, they just chose to.

S2000 was RWD and will always be a blast to drive on a track. One of my favorites though I've never gotten around to one myself.
Don't make it now = Fail.

FWD doesn't automatically mean it's no fun. My '15 Focus ST is an absolute blast on the road and on the track. Ford has worked some magic with their eLSD (brake based "torque vectoring") and suspension tuning. Lift-off oversteer is the name of the game with this baby!

The new Civic Type R looks insane too. I'm willing to bet it will be huge fun no matter where you drive it.
The Golf-R is insane, the Civic-R is lame.
Focus RS is legit. Focus ST is (was) yawntastic.You can't break the laws of physics like you can traffic laws. When half your wheels are doing all the work, half your potential is doing nothing.

VAG makes the 918, Aventador and R8, all non-VW badges. Only thing that keeps me from ripping VW is that they actually do make the Golf-R, which is as-previously-noted insane.

I would think the biggest thing a game couldn't prepare you for is the actual g-forces experienced in racing. I want to see videos of gamers put behind the wheel of actual race cars immediately after doing several laps in their preferred game. That would be hilarious.

Agree to that! The breaking force of our road race mustang into the chicane at my first race was a real eyeopener. You'd have to play the sim in a sauna too, the heat of the dang driving suits in the car is unreal.

Yeah, the S2000 was the one RWD car Honda made in the last 20 years. But then they stopped making it...And now they all suck. They don't have to, they just chose to.

Don't make it now = Fail.

The only thing that sucks is your knowledge of cars and manufacturers. You fail at your understanding of both. The S2000 ran its course, just like all the special sport models Honda runs for 5 years and then remakes. They are slated for a new model next year. Also most of the sports cars Honda makes are RWD.

The only thing that sucks is your knowledge of cars and manufacturers. You fail at your understanding of both. The S2000 ran its course, just like all the special sport models Honda runs for 5 years and then remakes. They are slated for a new model next year. Also most of the sports cars Honda makes are RWD.

Well admittedly, I don't keep up with Honda's as much as I do other brands that make vehicles worth driving.
Let me go check out the current lineup: http://automobiles.honda.com/all-models.aspx
2015 Accord Hybrid: FWD
2014 Accord Plug-In: FWD
2016 Accord Sedan: FWD
2016 Accord Coupe: FWD
2015 Civic Coupe: FWD
2015 Civic Hybrid: FWD
2015 Civic HF: FWD
2015 Civic Natural Gas: FWD
2015 Civic Sedan: FWD
2015 Civic Si Coupe: FWD
2015 Civic Si Sedan: FWD
2015 Crosstour: FWD/AWD
2016 CR-V: FWD/AWD
2015 CR-Z: FWD
2016 Fit: FWD
2014 Fit EV: FWD
2016 HR-V Crossover: FWD/AWD
2014 Insight Hybrid: FWD
2016 Odyssey: FWD
2016 Pilot: FWD/AWD
FCX Clarity FCEV: FWD

Which ones are the RWD sports cars?
And can you explain how you get a 'most' of nothing?

Well admittedly, I don't keep up with Honda's as much as I do other brands that make vehicles worth driving.
Let me go check out the current lineup: http://automobiles.honda.com/all-models.aspx
2015 Accord Hybrid: FWD
2014 Accord Plug-In: FWD
2016 Accord Sedan: FWD
2016 Accord Coupe: FWD
2015 Civic Coupe: FWD
2015 Civic Hybrid: FWD
2015 Civic HF: FWD
2015 Civic Natural Gas: FWD
2015 Civic Sedan: FWD
2015 Civic Si Coupe: FWD
2015 Civic Si Sedan: FWD
2015 Crosstour: FWD/AWD
2016 CR-V: FWD/AWD
2015 CR-Z: FWD
2016 Fit: FWD
2014 Fit EV: FWD
2016 HR-V Crossover: FWD/AWD
2014 Insight Hybrid: FWD
2016 Odyssey: FWD
2016 Pilot: FWD/AWD
FCX Clarity FCEV: FWD

Which ones are the RWD sports cars?
And can you explain how you get a 'most' of nothing?

Both the NSX and a new S series are marked for production next year. Plus quite a number of their pro cars are FWD. But silly me for actually doing more research than a cursory glance at the current year consumer production line...

Rally Dirt must be a lot different than Dirt 3 Complete Edition. Dirt 3 is really arcade-style, at least on the easy settings. Where as Assetto Corsa, even with no damage / extra abs / tc, is still totally unforgiving if you go into a corner too hot.

Both the NSX and a new S series are marked for production next year. Plus quite a number of their pro cars are FWD. But silly me for actually doing more research than a cursory glance at the current year consumer production line...

Well silly me for not having a time machine to travel to a point in time in the past or the future, but definitely not the present, when Honda has-or-will-be made-or-making a sports car, so you can be right.
Because I think we'll have time travel before you can just admit you are currently, at the time of this discussion, wrong.

Back