Facebook Founder Calls For Universal Internet To Help Cure Global Ills

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
My first thought was that Zuckerberg just wants the entire planet on Facebook.

Calling for efforts to ensure Internet access for everyone globally by 2020, Zuckerberg said Internet connections are a dynamic tool for sharing knowledge, creating opportunities, lifting communities out of poverty and promoting peace. "A 'like' or a post won't stop a tank or a bullet, but when people are connected, we have a chance to build a common global community with a shared understanding," Zuckerberg told at a private luncheon with business leaders at the United Nations.

Well if you go with the UN and certain groups assertion that internet access is a basic human right (which I don't agree with by the way) then this makes sense ... if it is a basic human right then everybody SHOULD have access to it ... however, since the majority of companies that will benefit from people having this right are all for profit enterprises I am not sanguine about the whole idea

Calling for efforts to ensure Internet access for everyone globally by 2020
How about ending poverty, hunger and common diseases first before getting everyone on facebook mr zuckerberg.

How about ending poverty, hunger and common diseases first before getting everyone on facebook mr zuckerberg.

To be fair, you're throwing a mixed bag there. People living in "poverty" still have smart phones and internet access so you can have that without ending poverty. People without food generally are going to put food first, so you'll probably see an end to hunger before everyone gets on Facebook. Ending disease is not something you can really control, you can reduce the impact but never end.

In any case, they all fall into the same bucket of unrealistic ideas so you should not be bitter and just accept the fact that tech company guy is going to say things that promote tech, regardless of whether or not it's realistic.

No, internet access is not a human right. Telephone access is not a human right. Electricity is not a human right. Cable TV is not a human right.

How about we focus on getting clean water to people first? What about sustainable farming techniques? What about trying to eradicate various diseases? There are a lot of other things to add to my list that are much more important than internet access.

I guess he is arguing that internet access could bring jobs and education opportunities, and as a result, the other items would "flow" in over time. If you are concerned about getting water that doesn't infect you with parasites, pretty sure internet access won't be too high on your list. (Again, he might see this as a way to start educating people so they learn about problems and solutions)

No, internet access is not a human right. Telephone access is not a human right. Electricity is not a human right. Cable TV is not a human right.

How about we focus on getting clean water to people first? What about sustainable farming techniques? What about trying to eradicate various diseases? There are a lot of other things to add to my list that are much more important than internet access.

I guess he is arguing that internet access could bring jobs and education opportunities, and as a result, the other items would "flow" in over time. If you are concerned about getting water that doesn't infect you with parasites, pretty sure internet access won't be too high on your list. (Again, he might see this as a way to start educating people so they learn about problems and solutions)
The left deems everything desirable a right.

Back