New Chromecast Details Leaked

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The second-generation Chromecast appears to be a substantial upgrade to the first. Aside from better performance, the device seems to have dropped the dongle form factor. Will you be upgrading?

…huge updates to the Chromecast platform are just around the corner. The long-rumored 2nd generation Chromecast hardware is set to debut at Google’s event later this month, packing many new features including feeds for the device’s main screen, improved WiFi, a new feature called “Fast Play,” and more.

Hmmm wonder if I'll be able to simply stream any mp4, mkv, avi, etc files? Or if I will still be limited to services like netflix, youtube, etc. That is always something I've wanted to have, without setting up a full on multimedia PC, as it stands I plug in HDMI to my laptop but that's a bit on the janky side.

Options are good.. but having bought a chromecast I doubt I'd have any interest in their new model. I'm sure it works for some, but having to control it via a phone or tablet just didn't seem to work well for our family. If your single, maybe it isn't a big deal, but the Roku's just seem to work better with a dedicated remote, in my case.

I also really didn't like the requirement of having to be on the same subnet to use the Chromecast. I have my house separated out with wireless devices on a different vlan than my wired devices, but allow inter-vlan communication. I can control the Roku's (physically connected on VLAN 6) with any of my wireless devices (vlan 4) or my desktop (vlan 2) without any issues. My kids will occasionally find things on Youtube on their phones and stream them to the Roku. With the Chromecast, if my device isn't on the exact same subnet (wireless) then communication is out of the question.

I really like the dongle design, it allows me to conceal the chromecast behind my TV which floats on the wall.

I also really didn't like the requirement of having to be on the same subnet to use the Chromecast. I have my house separated out with wireless devices on a different vlan than my wired devices, but allow inter-vlan communication. I can control the Roku's (physically connected on VLAN 6) with any of my wireless devices (vlan 4) or my desktop (vlan 2) without any issues. My kids will occasionally find things on Youtube on their phones and stream them to the Roku. With the Chromecast, if my device isn't on the exact same subnet (wireless) then communication is out of the question.

Why would you do this?

Hmmm wonder if I'll be able to simply stream any mp4, mkv, avi, etc files? Or if I will still be limited to services like netflix, youtube, etc. That is always something I've wanted to have, without setting up a full on multimedia PC, as it stands I plug in HDMI to my laptop but that's a bit on the janky side.

You can do it with the current chromecast. I used the Chrome extension Videostream and it handles just about any file type.

You can do it with the current chromecast. I used the Chrome extension Videostream and it handles just about any file type.

Videostream does have a problem with high definition content. SD is fine, but I always have my 1080P stutter so I don't bother with it.

Why would you do this?

It's very possible to have multiple "lans" for different purposes firewall from each other but both are allowed to have access to another vlan.

eg:
guest internet for people visiting
your own personal vlan for your own computers
a "shared" vlan for stuff such as chrome cast, roku, etc.

However ,with the price of the chrome cast (regularly on sale for $19-$25), it's cheap enough to just pick up one for each vlan i suppose.

Videostream does have a problem with high definition content. SD is fine, but I always have my 1080P stutter so I don't bother with it.

Videostream 1080p works fine here. To ensure you have sufficient WIFI bandwidth to prevent stuttering use a dual radio WIFI router/AP. Dedicate 2.4GHz radio to Chromecast and make sure you use 802.11n and put clients on 802.11ac.

I also really didn't like the requirement of having to be on the same subnet to use the Chromecast.

Tried multicast helper?

with 1080 streaming it all comes down to bitrate, a full 1080 BR rip, not likley going to fly, a re-mux possibly, anything smaller likley have no problems.

I use my Universal Media Server to stream to WDlive boxes and many 1080 rips in the 14-16Gig range stream fine over Wireless N.

Back