New Pluto Images Detail Dwarf Planet's Complex Surface

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I never imagined we would get such crisp photos of something nearly 5 billion miles away. The images reveal a “diversity of landforms and complexity of processes that rival anything we’ve seen in the solar system.”

They reveal new features as diverse as possible dunes, nitrogen ice flows that apparently oozed out of mountainous regions onto plains, and even networks of valleys that may have been carved by material flowing over Pluto’s surface. They also show large regions that display chaotically jumbled mountains reminiscent of disrupted terrains on Jupiter’s icy moon Europa.

This is a "fuck yeah, science!" moment...hopefully the badass stuff we've seen coming out of NASA, the ESA, and other scientific agencies as of late will inspire the current generation to aim for the moon again, and take serious aim at Mars.

Really cool photo! I don't know how we haven't found evidence of another culture or creature out there in the galaxy, but I guess there is a ton of stuff to pour over. Still waiting =(

Super fucking awesome, I've been telling my students for years "What you see Pluto look like in most pictures, probably isn't what Pluto looks like, with the Hubble telescope it's about 8 pixels wide, not a whole lot of detail you can get in that"

Really cool photo! I don't know how we haven't found evidence of another culture or creature out there in the galaxy, but I guess there is a ton of stuff to pour over. Still waiting =(

You answered you're own question in the same sentence! ;) to make it sink in... go and study up on just how big space really is combined with how rare it is for not just life, but intelligent life on top of that. And you have what we in the not-NASA-smart world call... fucking no chance just forget it! :D

It is awesome to see such images! they do good work!

Back