No Multiplayer In Rise Of The Tomb Raider

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I wish this happened more often in games where the campaign mode is the obvious focus—rather than include a multiplayer mode that feels like a tacked-on afterthought, just scrap it altogether so all of your resources can be allocated for single player.

It seems like Square Enix has learnt the lesson and for Rise of the Tomb Raider decided to cut multiplayer portion completely and put all their resources on the game's story mode. The details posted in the OXM reads: "With multiplayer cut from the experience, Crystal Dynamics needed to make this core campaign as entertaining as possible."

ahmen to that brother. they should use spare resources on fixing bugs before the game goes gold

Tomb Raider never really lent itself to be multiplayer anyway. Make a great SP game first, then, maybe, if you have time, or there is enough demand, add the game type in a DLC, or even better yet, a free expansion sometime after launch.

What I hate is games that have single player and multiplayer, while really. You only want one portion of it. I want the CoD single player portion, but I don't care whatsoever about the multiplayer. Seeing as the single player campaign last about 4 hours, I don't want to be paying $60 for it. It would be nice to see them separate that from the rest of the game and sell it for like $10.

What I hate is games that have single player and multiplayer, while really. You only want one portion of it. I want the CoD single player portion, but I don't care whatsoever about the multiplayer. Seeing as the single player campaign last about 4 hours, I don't want to be paying $60 for it. It would be nice to see them separate that from the rest of the game and sell it for like $10.

Somebody actually plays COD for the single player only? :eek:

Regardless of the game, I will always play through the single player campaign at least once first before even touching the multiplayer. For me, the extra context adds motivation.

I do not even remember there being a multiplayer option in the first one. I did love the reboot single player though. That game really surprised me. I am anxious to play the second.

Somebody actually plays COD for the single player only? :eek:

You're not the only one surprised. CoD and BF are two games where I wish the developers would just abandon the hokey single player campaigns and focus on what most of the buyers actually want, multiplayer. The stories are bland, everything is linear, the campaigns are super short(what, 3-5 hours tops?), and it seems like nothing more than a distraction that wasted development time when multiplayer is just full of bugs at launch. I'm pretty sure the only reason most of the people who bothered with the SP campaign in BF4, was that they did it purely for the MP weapon unlocks.

Tomb Raider never really lent itself to be multiplayer anyway. Make a great SP game first, then, maybe, if you have time, or there is enough demand, add the game type in a DLC, or even better yet, a free expansion sometime after launch.

^^ this...Tomb Raider is a single player game, multiplayer has no business being a part of it

I wish the developers would just abandon the hokey single player campaigns

I think this is the wrong approach. Instead I think we should wish that developers actually put some time and effort into the single player part of the game and make it worth playing. Look at past CoD's and BF's...they put time and money into the single player campaigns. Even if they were crappy. So it's not that they don't need to have them, they just need better writers. I mean that's really all it is. In Advanced Warfare we had Kevin Spacey for Christ's sake! That SP portion could have been GOLD if it wasn't so cookie cutter.

I think this is the wrong approach. Instead I think we should wish that developers actually put some time and effort into the single player part of the game and make it worth playing. Look at past CoD's and BF's...they put time and money into the single player campaigns. Even if they were crappy. So it's not that they don't need to have them, they just need better writers. I mean that's really all it is. In Advanced Warfare we had Kevin Spacey for Christ's sake! That SP portion could have been GOLD if it wasn't so cookie cutter.

Except people seem to be predominantly buying those for the MP, not the SP, and would probably be satisfied if time weren't wasted on the SP campaign to provide a better MP experience at launch. Simply hiring famous actors as evidenced by advanced warfare means pretty much nothing if the development is going to end up half-assed for both SP and MP. It's not as if there aren't FPS games out there where the primary focus is a decent single player campaign that isn't some 3 hour long linear garbage, and those games need to not have a lame MP mode tacked onto them for the hell of it.

Could the writing be better? Sure. But that doesn't change that development time is still spent on something that people aren't buying the product for. Even with better writing, you're still spending resources on a single player campaign when the bulk of the buyers want it for the multiplayer. But if the writing sucks(and it seems we agree on it), then why even buy those games for the single player campaign in the first place? You know it isn't where the focus is. You know it's some tacked on garbage. Why bother?

The first CoD's had great single player. BF started out with well...pretty much no single player. Single player was nothing more than the multiplayer with AI.

For me, I don't care about the multiplayer in any of those games. I play other games for multiplayer like CS:S, CS:GO. Those free kills in CoD were just stupid to me. Here's a helicopter that'll kill ppl for you. Here's a hunter drone that'll kill ppl for you.

Either way, I stopped buying CoD after the first Black Ops and I stopped buying BF after 3. I'm hoping the new Rainbow Six game returns to it's roots, like the first 2 games.

Back