App Release Notes Are Getting Stupid

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I get pretty excited whenever I see an app update, though I have no clue why—most of them are a complete mystery.

Mobile app publishers have begun to play fast and loose with their release notes, which is the area where they’re supposed to communicate the changes shipping with the most recent app update to the end users. This inattention to detail is a disservice to users, who no longer have the benefit of understanding what the updated app will now do — or not do — as the case may be.

Updates in the past meant bug fix/more features now it just means less choice. You have to re train your brain.

Without naming my employer, please update the fine app, so you can continue to use our service.

Updates on all OSs are becoming russian roulette. You update and hope to god nothing breaks, and if something does break you're SOL cause you have no idea which item in the update screwed you over. Now you have no choice but to roll back or reinstall. Depending how bad you got it up the ass :)

Aw man, now I feel like a sucker. I actually list all our feature changes in our update notes.

Hah, I guess this is why Microsoft is fore-going putting out patch notes for Windows 10. ("It's too hard.", they say).

Back