BlackBerry To Buy Rival For $425M

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is strange, I didn't even know BlackBerry had any money, let alone $425 million to be buying out its rivals.

The cash deal may help BlackBerry, a one-time smartphone pioneer, win new customers for its services business, a priority as it shifts focus to device management software for enterprise customers. More than half the devices running on Good's systems are Apple Inc (AAPL.O) products such as the iPhone.

The Good iOS app is barely functional. I think it's a crap shoot if merging with Blackberry brings them up or sinks both their ships.

Blackberry had a massive amount of cash a little over a year ago. I don't know what kind of state that would be in right now, but I guess it's $425 million lighter.

Blackberry is a one-trick pony. They make phones and there's no money in Android phones.

It's dead, Jim.

Blackberry had a massive amount of cash a little over a year ago. I don't know what kind of state that would be in right now, but I guess it's $425 million lighter.

Blackberry is a one-trick pony. They make phones and there's no money in Android phones.

It's dead, Jim.

I don't know what they were thinking with Blackberry Passport. It's just awkward with the dimension.

blackberry has the number one mdm suite around. They do not sell well in the united states because most folks do not know what security really is but overseas they sell very well. Our media is just wanting to push apple and google but as usual they aren't telling the whole story.

Our corporate Exchange server only allows iPhones that use the Good iOS app. And, I always laugh at them.

what are they rivals at? failing to do anything useful? BB has been dead for years now I don't understand why they have not disappeared

blackberry has the number one mdm suite around. They do not sell well in the united states because most folks do not know what security really is but overseas they sell very well. Our media is just wanting to push apple and google but as usual they aren't telling the whole story.

Were going to start blaming the media now for Blackberry's failure to adapt as a company?

If they really had the Number One MDM suite I am sure they could complete, but they can't.

If they really had the Number One MDM suite I am sure they could complete, but they can't.
Well, they just bought one of their major competitors in Good who were failing, while another Mobile Irons is trading at 1/3rd of their IPO share price.

What - the AMD of smartphones here? Always pulling out $$$ from thin air? Sounds about right ;)

It's dead, Jim.

They are more than a one trick pony if you are including phones. They bought QNX a few years ago(the latest Black berry os was based off it). QNX has a pretty big market share(ford ditched MS for it last year so companies are still going to it).

Not surprised this is an American site half of you really don't know anything about BB.

I want a 3rd player in the smartphone market and hope they can continue with their turn around plan.

I want a real communications device as a business user not an iphone which is just a me too device for children and andriod still not secure enough. Not to mention the email management on a Iphone pales in comparison to the same functionality on a BB10 phone.

I have 4 years of experience using BB10 phones on a BES10 server and Iphones on a Mobile Iron!

I miss my BB tbh. It really is more prevalent outside of the US and lol @ iphone security. I hope BB does pull their head out of their ass and make a comeback.

LOL! So many people have NO idea what they're talking about when it comes to BlackBerry. The Passport, hands down, is the most innovative phone to come out in years. Name one other phone that has a touch sensitive physical keyboard...but let me guess...that doesn't matter, huh?

Now that they're making Android phones as well (using the Passport Silver and Venice slider) they're bound to get bigger. BB10 though is already the best mobile OS on the market, but of course very few haters would know this considering they've never used it (hence the hate and bullshit coming out of all of your mouths).

Just saying. I guess enjoy your same ole' shit year after year Android and iOS devices...oOoOoh...so different! But yet...BlackBerry are just one trick ponies, yeah? Uneducated hypocrites all around!

LOL! So many people have NO idea what they're talking about when it comes to BlackBerry. The Passport, hands down, is the most innovative phone to come out in years. Name one other phone that has a touch sensitive physical keyboard...but let me guess...that doesn't matter, huh?

Now that they're making Android phones as well (using the Passport Silver and Venice slider) they're bound to get bigger. BB10 though is already the best mobile OS on the market, but of course very few haters would know this considering they've never used it (hence the hate and bullshit coming out of all of your mouths).

Just saying. I guess enjoy your same ole' shit year after year Android and iOS devices...oOoOoh...so different! But yet...BlackBerry are just one trick ponies, yeah? Uneducated hypocrites all around!

Still hoping for your shares to go up, eh? Ironic considering Blackberry was the one who made the same phone every year and didn't change their formula when everyone else did. Nobody cares about a touch sensitive keyboard because this crazy thing called a touchscreen that has a keyboard but doesn't waste space when you don't use it.

BB OS might be the "best" for 10 people, but the rest of us are content with iOS or Android.

Just wondering, what can Blackberry offer me in terms of integrating my phone with other aspects of my life? Can it syncronize with other services and devices in my life? Surely it's not "just" a cellphone and email reader.

Maybe many people use iOS and Android for other reasons outside of it being a phone.

Still hoping for your shares to go up, eh? Ironic considering Blackberry was the one who made the same phone every year and didn't change their formula when everyone else did. Nobody cares about a touch sensitive keyboard because this crazy thing called a touchscreen that has a keyboard but doesn't waste space when you don't use it.

BB OS might be the "best" for 10 people, but the rest of us are content with iOS or Android.

I don't have any shares in BB...I just actually know what I'm talking about because I have experience and hands on use with their newer devices, something most here don't. If the people here that are putting BB down actually used one they wouldn't be talking trash.

Nobody cares about a touch sensitive keyboard? Do you even know what it does? Thanks for confirming what I've been saying.

Just wondering, what can Blackberry offer me in terms of integrating my phone with other aspects of my life? Can it syncronize with other services and devices in my life? Surely it's not "just" a cellphone and email reader.

Maybe many people use iOS and Android for other reasons outside of it being a phone.

That's not what this is about. No one here is saying "I don't use BB because it can't sync with some device that I have". It's all "BB is still alive?" or "BB is useless" etc. What you're saying doesn't have any relevance to the comments that are happening here. Regardless, BB can still sync and do plenty. It can run Android apps and with a few minutes worth of work can run full Google services and full Play store.

My comment is more towards those that think Android and iOS are somehow the magical OS's/devices that are sooo much better and...I don't know...different? Or something?

I don't have any shares in BB...I just actually know what I'm talking about because I have experience and hands on use with their newer devices, something most here don't. If the people here that are putting BB down actually used one they wouldn't be talking trash.

Nobody cares about a touch sensitive keyboard? Do you even know what it does? Thanks for confirming what I've been saying.

You know what you're talking about, eh? I guess everyone else an idiot then because blackberry sales continue to decline. The one thing you keep forgetting is the question, why the hell would I want to buy a blackberry when my current iOS/Android phone does everything I want? With Blackberry you are going to have to go find your apps again, and side loading will never be as great as native.

Touch sensitive keyboard...it's basically a keyboard with a touch screen. Wow, instead of having just a touch screen, I can now waste space the entire time with a keyboard! You can do those gestures on a phone without a keyboard too. But please, enlighten me, how is this going to be any more useful than just having a bigger screen?

You know what you're talking about, eh? I guess everyone else an idiot then because blackberry sales continue to decline.

Because no one is giving it a try, like yourself. I decided to give it a whirl and love it. That's the only reason they're not doing as well as they should be. Has NOTHING to do with the quality of their hardware or software (might have something to do with the quality of the marketing department though).

The one thing you keep forgetting is the question, why the hell would I want to buy a blackberry when my current iOS/Android phone does everything I want?

Well if they do everything you want then stay with them. I couldn't give up the Hub now and real time multitasking now that I have them.

With Blackberry you are going to have to go find your apps again, and side loading will never be as great as native.

BB10 has Android built in so the apps are native. You can install Snap, which is a native Google Play store, or just install the APK's right on your phone.

Touch sensitive keyboard...it's basically a keyboard with a touch screen. Wow, instead of having just a touch screen, I can now waste space the entire time with a keyboard! You can do those gestures on a phone without a keyboard too. But please, enlighten me, how is this going to be any more useful than just having a bigger screen?

Again, you haven't used one so I don't understand why you're judging so harshly? Having it on the keyboard means you don't have to reach for the touch screen. Don't have to get it all dirty. Other features like swiping up when typing for predictive text or swiping the the left to delete words or using it to highlight text make it far above and beyond any touchscreen keyboard and increase things like productivity by 10 fold.

See, the big difference between you and I is that I've used Android, iOS, and BlackBerry 10 extensively. I know what I'm talking about. Can you say the same? If not then why are you talking about that which you don't know?

What is your experience with BB10 or phones like the Passport or Classic?

Back