New York City's Taxi Industry Made An Uber App

HardOCP News

[H] News
If only the taxi drivers had done this before Uber was invented. It's a little too late now, am I right?

It works just like Uber, but allows users to hail a cab without the $2 fee charged by the Uber-T service. Cabs also allow users to avoid surge pricing, which can double or triple fares during peak hours in Manhattan.

Flywheel is the same thing out here in San Francisco; the cab company that made it actually rebranded their whole fleet.

We in Vancouver have had taxi company apps for a long time now. There's even an app called. Zoro that works with a multitude of Metro Vancouver cab companies.

Who gives a shit about a retarded application? The issue isn't the convenience, it's the price. Period.

Who gives a shit about a retarded application? The issue isn't the convenience, it's the price. Period.

Disagree. If anything during peak periods, the taxi will be cheaper than an Uber.

At least for me, it was always the convenience and reliability factor; I could hail an Uber, see where it was and how long it would take to get there via an app.

For a cab, I had to call dispatch (45 min wait on a weekend evening), wait 45 minutes, and half the time the cab wouldn't even show up. At that point, would have been happy to pay double just to get the hell home.

While it might not be the most innovative idea, it's good to see cab companies are at least minimally evolving instead of just whining.

When you're not in an area where it's possible to just flag down one of the 50 cabs on the street within eyesight, and you're stuck waiting an hour, yeah convenience is an issue.

When you're not in an area where it's possible to just flag down one of the 50 cabs on the street within eyesight, and you're stuck waiting an hour, yeah convenience is an issue.
LMAO, you can be in Midtown Manhattan and watch a hundred cabs go by without being able to catch one! Transportation is a bitch out here and I can see how Uber could be disruptive. Uber seems to certainly help with the transportation problem, but what is it about Uber that tons of people are putting their trust into this service? Are there any safe assumptions that could be made about the drivers or the service? Folks don't seem to mind trading a bit of safety for convenience. This is interesting to watch.

LMAO, you can be in Midtown Manhattan and watch a hundred cabs go by without being able to catch one! Transportation is a bitch out here and I can see how Uber could be disruptive. Uber seems to certainly help with the transportation problem, but what is it about Uber that tons of people are putting their trust into this service? Are there any safe assumptions that could be made about the drivers or the service? Folks don't seem to mind trading a bit of safety for convenience. This is interesting to watch.

Convenience and visibility to the person you "connected" with for a service are extremely important. I'm assuming the cab company apps are addressing that. What they likely aren't addressing is the pure fact that cabs are fucking gross usually. I haven't been in an uber that was anything older than 2012 and extremely well maintained. This alone is a huge plus for me.

Back