System Routes Internet Traffic Around Countries You Don't Trust

HardOCP News

[H] News
Routing internet traffic around countries we don't trust? Wouldn't that be "all of them?" :D

Whenever someone sends a website request or email, Internet data packets crossing the world can run afoul of data censorship or modification in certain countries, such as China. A new system provides a way for Internet users to route their data around specified “forbidden” countries and gives proof of whether or not the routing succeeded, its inventors revealed last week.

"With recent events, such as censorship of Internet traffic, suspicious 'boomerang routing' where data leaves a region only to come back again, and monitoring of users' data, we became increasingly interested in this notion of empowering users to have more control over what happens with their data," said Dave Levin, an assistant research scientist in the Institute for Advanced Computer Studies at the University of Maryland, in a press release.

Which reminds me of the NSA excuse, "We only spy on traffic that goes outside the USA without a warrant. We don't know which is USA traffic or not because it might travel to a server outside the USA and come back"

If I were a tin foil hat person I would say:

"It would be convenient to force all traffic of a suspect outside the USA so they have an excuse to look at it, even if the final destination is the USA. Therefore they have no rights."

What if the country I live in is the one I dont want looking at my traffic? Hehe

Back