Phone And Laptop Encryption Guide

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
How many of you have your devices fully encrypted? Some? None? It may be a good idea, and this guide could serve as a good starting point for those who are unfamiliar with how to safeguard their data.

Encrypting your local storage makes all of that much more difficult, if not impossible. Anyone trying to access your data will need a key to actually mount the drive or read anything off of it, and if you wipe the drive the leftover data that can be read by that file recovery software will still be encrypted even if the new data on the drive isn’t.

I have my laptop and phone encrypted. I utterly hate my phone being encrypted and if it wasn't so much damn trouble to undo it I would. My desktop I don't bother with, nothing important kept on it.

Just don't use Microsoft's "BitLocker"...it will upload a "backup" to OneDrive for you, and "share" it with the NSA!

a couple 1oz slugs encrypted my hard drive when it died on me a month ago. :)

Personally I:
  • Fully Encrypt my Phone (and power it down while at any border, going through the airport, talking to police, etc.).
  • Encrypt my user folder on my Linux Laptop and Desktop. Inside of that I keep a truecrypt container that contains all of my documents. This makes it portable between windows / linux. I never work on documents outside of the encrypted container.
  • On my windows desktop I use truecrypt containers when I (rarely) access personal files. It's mainly just there for gaming and never handles any confidential data.
I don't do anything "wrong", but out of principle my business is my business. If you want to know what I'm, doing, get a warrant, and even then I'm not talking to you.

Back