Android Pay May Be Launching At The End Of The Month

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Internal memos being sent out at a certain fast-food restaurant chain are suggesting that Google’s tap-to-pay feature will be debuting at the end of August. Android Pay is essentially an evolution of Google Wallet; its core purpose is the same but operates far more simplistically. It’s built into the Android OS so you won’t need the app—unlock your phone, place it against the pay terminal, and you’re done.

…should we take stock in this August 26th date? On the one hand, McDonald's is going to be a huge partner for Android Pay here in America if only because of their size. There's no doubt Google would inform them ahead of time of Pay's approximate launch window, if only to prepare employees.

I love how they're billing this like it's a new idea (Apple is guilty of this too). You've been able to do this in Japan for years and years. In Europe and Canada credit cards have had similar functionality for at least 5 years.

Because Apple pay has been so successful... oh wait..

The idea is as stupid and insecure as when Apple announced it and will forever remain off my phone.

Maybe serves as a backup but I don't see myself pulling out a pricey phone and risk dropping it or getting it snatched by someone for something as mundane as payments. There's no security benefit either as credit cards are being replaced with chip based and with CC you don't have to worry about battery dying making it useless. It's more for the hipsters who like to think they're special. Now, if Google had incentives like credit towards Google Play Store apps and devices then I might consider using it.

How quickly people forget something that has already failed. The technology was bought from the conglomerate that did softcard (IE Isis mobile wallet, no terrorist relation.) If you have an Android phone on Verizon or at&t you probably have the app. Back in the day American express would give at least 10% of your purchase price back when you payed with your phone. Made for a good Christmas that year.

I'm using Samsung's app here in New Zealand, its nice, but I'd certainly look at using Googles one instead

I've been using G Wallet for years. I like that it adds a PIN layer of security on top of card, which doesn't currently use a PIN by itself.

There's no security benefit either as credit cards are being replaced with chip based and with CC you don't have to worry about battery dying making it useless. It's more for the hipsters who like to think they're special. Now, if Google had incentives like credit towards Google Play Store apps and devices then I might consider using it.

That is not true at all. Both Apple and Google uses tokenization to transfer while EMV is basically only useful to secure a physical terminal, not a mobile or online transaction. And even then some of that is still a little questionable since the October requirement is for Chip and Sign support, not chip and pin. Tokenization will come to chipped cards eventually but it still is years off from becoming a requirement.

That is not true at all. Both Apple and Google uses tokenization to transfer while EMV is basically only useful to secure a physical terminal, not a mobile or online transaction. And even then some of that is still a little questionable since the October requirement is for Chip and Sign support, not chip and pin. Tokenization will come to chipped cards eventually but it still is years off from becoming a requirement.

And if your phone dies, gets lost or broken... guess who's up shit creek? That's right... you.

Number of times I've lost my wallet or the hidden backup card I keep in my car? 0

Number of times my phones been dead or on strike in only the past couple years? Lost damn count.

No way in Hell I'm ever putting valuable information on my phone.

No way in Hell I'm ever putting valuable information on my phone.

But I'm sure you have purchased something with it, or checked your balance or whatever. Same thing. It's more secure but it has drawbacks. Just like having a physical card has drawbacks.

Back