Twins Can't Fool Windows 10's Facial Recognition

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently Windows 10's facial recognition works so good that it can actually tell identical twins apart.

Windows 10 cannot, by itself, identify faces. You must have a computer equipped with Intel's RealSense 3D camera technology, which is actually three image technologies: a conventional camera, an infrared camera, and an infrared laser projector. The combination of the three, Intel claims, lets the computer see the world more like humans do. As for how well it can identify faces, earlier this year Microsoft claimed a 1-in-100,000 false accept rate.

So is this the work of Intel or Microsoft? Memorizing a password is just so much easier and affordable than having some always on spycam attached to my PC.

1-in-100,000 false accept rate? That's less than 17-bit password strength.

So is this the work of Intel or Microsoft? Memorizing a password is just so much easier and affordable than having some always on spycam attached to my PC.

They make black tape for those worried about the "always on" spycam. :confused:

1-in-100,000 false accept rate? That's less than 17-bit password strength.

I see this as being a great boon in productivity for logging onto a laptop-phone-computer.
I would easily accept the 16.9728-bit password strength so I would not have to remember passwords.
I don't have a twin brother so does my password strength go up to 17.19-bit. ;)

So what happens if you get a cut or bruise on your face? Can you no longer log into your computer?

So what happens if you get a cut or bruise on your face? Can you no longer log into your computer?

Or, God forbid, you've suffered burns on your face and, to add insult to injury, find yourself locked out of your own laptop during your long stay in the hospital?

They have thought of this, you send the laptop into the manufacturer along with your twin. After 100,000 attempts, your twin is finally able to unlock your laptop and then they send it back to you.

Now if your twin has recently had his face cut, burned or been in a horrible face disfiguring accident, I don't know what would happen next.

It would be good to have multiple acceptable methods for recognition, and when the primary goes down, accept one or multiple backups

It would be good to have multiple acceptable methods for recognition, and when the primary goes down, accept one or multiple backups

What if you and your twin share the same account. hmmmm.
Then what.
Does your twin need to have a mask that looks like you.

What about identical triplets, the odds are 60,000 to one in 200 million pregnancies.
Would that increase the password strength to 17.78-bit.

These are all very important questions.
I DEMAND Intel and Microsoft look into this!

Or, God forbid, you've suffered burns on your face and, to add insult to injury, find yourself locked out of your own laptop during your long stay in the hospital?
I've had facial burns, and although they healed up almost unnoticeably, I have other facial scars from other injuries, so I can relate to this concern. I also wonder what affect this will have on the cosmetic surgery business. A little nip & tuck and you're locked out of you PC.

They also say that there are other people who look like you out there, so there's that small chance. I've been told of ~6 people who look like me. Old friends of mine knew one...in my area, and even though they knew both of us well, they mistook the other person for me until they started talking. Kinda scary when you think about it.

What if your face gets vaporized in a nuclear explosion? Will this still work?

What about all the meth heads as their addiction wears down their bodies???

Won't someone think of the meth heads?????

What if your face gets vaporized in a nuclear explosion? Will this still work?

What about all the meth heads as their addiction wears down their bodies???

Won't someone think of the meth heads?????

Actually the meth heads sold their computers to buy ... METH :p

However, I am worried about the Pod People ... how will the body snatchers fully assimilate into our society if they can't log onto Facebook and Netflix :cool:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049366/?ref_=nv_sr_3

I see this as being a great boon in productivity for logging onto a laptop-phone-computer.
Um... they have had face unlock for Android phones for ~4 years. Does crapple not have this?

However, it works a little too easily - you can trick it with a photo.

Um... they have had face unlock for Android phones for ~4 years. Does crapple not have this?

However, it works a little too easily - you can trick it with a photo.

If I remember correctly, no you cannot, not with the 3d camera anyway. This was demonstrated already that you can't "trick it".

Apparently Windows 10's facial recognition works so good that it can actually tell identical twins apart.

Windows 10 cannot, by itself, identify faces. You must have a computer equipped with Intel's RealSense 3D camera technology, which is actually three image technologies: a conventional camera, an infrared camera, and an infrared laser projector. The combination of the three, Intel claims, lets the computer see the world more like humans do. As for how well it can identify faces, earlier this year Microsoft claimed a 1-in-100,000 false accept rate.

If the girls are representative samples, then I can believe it. Even I could tell those 2 apart. The Olsen twins looked more alike at that age,and they aren't identical twins.

Do you have the ability to install stuff on the company laptop? cause if you do, this is pretty smart

and just to put this in perspective, i've worked at places that if they can't get a laptop without the webcam they will literally carve it out before they issue it

The developer version was $100 the last time I checked. That's normal for a good webcam. I've heard stories back and forth on if they actually are going to do retail cameras however.

Not exactly as it far easier to try multiple passwords than multiple faces.

A password is a string of numbers to a computer. After a bunch of processing a face is just bunch of numbers to a computer.

I could probably dig out a camera and access the wires on most laptops with a mini pocket knife. After that, I can make it see anything I want. Including a feed from a partner with the appropriate hardware aimed at the person in real time (or a slight time delay). Give people time to see if they can fake the camera out non-destructively. 3D printed head with some makeup and special reflective paints.

Step to bypass face recognition:
1) Take a picture of the user
2) Put it in front of the user's PC

I could probably dig out a camera and access the wires on most laptops with a mini pocket knife. After that, I can make it see anything I want. Including a feed from a partner with the appropriate hardware aimed at the person in real time (or a slight time delay). Give people time to see if they can fake the camera out non-destructively. 3D printed head with some makeup and special reflective paints.

Anything can be hacked. But I don't see how this would be easier than simply cramming through text password.

Back