MSI Introduces GTX 950 Graphics Cards

HardOCP News

[H] News
MSI is pleased to announce the latest additions to its next generation GAMING graphics cards lineup. The new MSI GTX 950 graphics cards are powered by NVIDIA's latest GM206 Maxwell GPU, which fully supports the new DirectX 12 that comes with Windows 10.

The MSI GTX 950 GAMING 2G features the famous Twin Frozr V cooler, delivering a supremely silent gaming experience with Zero Frozr technology and Torx Fan design. The MSI GTX 950 GAMING 2G is the perfect card for 1080p and MOBA games such as DOTA2 and League of Legends.

Besides the revered GAMING series, MSI also provides factory overclocked Armor2X models featuring the striking Black & White cooler to match the design of MSI’s Krait series motherboards. MSI also ads in system integrator OC Edition models with higher clock speeds and reference exhaust fans, catering to the needs of a wide audience.

For a limited time, buying a GTX 950 GAMING 2G graphics card will include a voucher for the new Final Fantasy Type-0 game. Step into the fray as Class Zero, a group of students from an elite military academy whose country is attacked by an aggressive neighboring Empire. In the brutal and harrowing struggle that follows, defeat the Empire and uncover the secrets behind the war using a range of powerful magical and combat abilities and an exciting new battle system. This promotion runs till September 30th 2015 or while supplies last.

These actually don't seem bad at all for entry level cards. They're outperforming the GTX-660 by a decent margin from what I'm seeing, which is kinda my standard for acceptable performance at 1080.

Wonder if we will get a low profile version. My HTPC wouldn't mind some HEVC loving.

As all maxwells this thing overclocks like a beast.

But even then you won't be able to play the latest games without sacrificing IQ.

I don't see the need for a 4gb version. If the GTX960 4g is any indication, there's barely any benefit at 1080p. And it doesn't have the horsepower to do 1440p anyway.

Yeah, it's still squarely in budget range, but it raises the bar for that I think.

The GTX 950 is slightly faster than I was expecting it to be, and slightly more expensive. No biggie :D

Performance/dollar is competitive with the GTX 960, and it's priced in the same neighborhood as the R9 270x.

This is a pretty impressive GPU as it fills in the gap with the 750 Ti very well, only 40 bucks more for those extra ROPs and HEVC decode. Only downside: increased power consumption. I don't think they'll be able to make a bus-powered version of this card, as they would have to drop the performance too much. But sub-100w has potential for passive coolers :D

Do games have PhysX anymore?

Quite a few. Not by the metric ton or anything, but they definitely do. A few off the top of my head:

Borderlands 2 and up.
Pretty sure the Metro games use it.
Batman games use it.
Mirror's Edge used it, so maybe the new one will too?
I thought I read Star Citizen does somewhere.
Project Cars
The Witcher 3
Various CoD and Tom Clancy games, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these. I only personally play the Borderlands games, Metro games, and I'm sure I have a few others. Don't play Batman, don't have TW3 yet, etc. I'm sure there must be a list somewhere.

I just let my single GPU handle it though. I don't use a dedicated device.

The GTX 950 is slightly faster than I was expecting it to be, and slightly more expensive. No biggie :D

Performance/dollar is competitive with the GTX 960, and it's priced in the same neighborhood as the R9 270x.

This is a pretty impressive GPU as it fills in the gap with the 750 Ti very well, only 40 bucks more for those extra ROPs and HEVC decode. Only downside: increased power consumption. I don't think they'll be able to make a bus-powered version of this card, as they would have to drop the performance too much. But sub-100w has potential for passive coolers :D

This only arguably the case for the MSI GTX 960 Gaming though since it will bundle Final Fantasy Type-O (depending on its actual street value).

Otherwise since it doesn't appear GTX 950s get Nvidia's Phantom Pain bundle other 950 variants are sometimes even priced higher effectively than their 960 counterparts once you factor in Phantom Pain (see the breakdown in the Asus Strix 950/960 as an example).

Back