Intel Core i7-6700K Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a review of Intel's Core i7-6700K processor posted at Neoseeker today for those of you interested. For comparison purposes, you can see our evaluation here.

Intel is focusing on the mainstream enthusiasts and gamers with the release of its first wave of 6th generation Skylake desktop processors which represent a "Tock" in Intel's Tick-Tock product cycle: the Core i7-6700K and the Core i5-6600K. Both CPUs, as the "K" in the name suggests, are fully unlocked SKUs and based on the new Skylake architecture built on the 14nm process technology.

The conclusion sums up what many places have been hitting at fairly squarely:

With a suggested $350 price tag and the great features of the new platform reviewed today, this might be the perfect time for an upgrade if you are still rocking a Sandy Bridge CPU or older. However while the performance improvement over more recent generation processors is there, they are not so spectacular to warrant a full platform upgrade.

Basically, if you were looking for simply a "huge" jump in performance, Skylake is not the droid you are looking for. But for the newer feature set (SFF-8643/U.2 connector and USB 3.1 type A and C, looking at you) in addition to the increased performance, this is what will get some people like myself out from Sandy Bridge systems.

Plus it's a good excuse to get new toys. :D

The conclusion sums up what many places have been hitting at fairly squarely:

Basically, if you were looking for simply a "huge" jump in performance, Skylake is not the droid you are looking for. But for the newer feature set (SFF-8643/U.2 connector and USB 3.1 type A and C, looking at you) in addition to the increased performance, this is what will get some people like myself out from Sandy Bridge systems.

Plus it's a good excuse to get new toys. :D

That's how I look at it (and my CPU is much older than yours), butin fairness, most of those features can be found on Asus's better MBs for the 4790k. I just figure if I'm going to buy new stuff (and I will likely re-purpose my current build), then why not?...nevertheless, I think I'll end up waiting till next month when more MB's are available.

I'm waiting for the Hypothermia review and giveway! :D

How big of a jump would this be from a Q9650 equivalent at 4.6 Ghz?

50% improvement?!

How big of a jump would this be from a Q9650 equivalent at 4.6 Ghz?

50% improvement?!
From a rough estimation based on Cinebench benchmarks, a stock 6700K would be around 50-55% faster than a Q9650 @ 4.6GHz. Even a modest overclock on the 6700K increases the difference of course. Plus a modern platform would have other benefits for storage speed and graphics.

From a rough estimation based on Cinebench benchmarks, a stock 6700K would be around 50-55% faster than a Q9650 @ 4.6GHz. Even a modest overclock on the 6700K increases the difference of course. Plus a modern platform would have other benefits for storage speed and graphics.

Using cinebench r10 single and multi threaded numbers I get 60% improvement for SP and 148% improvement in MT. Also use 78% improvement in x264 HD Bench, 1st pass if I approximate i7 920 numbers for a 4.0 Core2Quad.

Finally, an upgrade I might consider worthy.

Last edited:
My IvyBridge i7 at 4.8ghz is still running strong, but this benchmark shows that clock-for-clock the newest processor is a good 20fps faster (if not more) in GTAV....Hmmmm, when the ram prices come down..maybe...

Did you guys see the Ripjaw V DDR4 3000 CL15 kits for $139? That's only $10 over the price of TridentX DDR3 2400 CL10.

It looks like there are new DDR4 kits launching at the same time as Skylake. Because the prices didn't look like that last week.

My IvyBridge i7 at 4.8ghz is still running strong, but this benchmark shows that clock-for-clock the newest processor is a good 20fps faster (if not more) in GTAV....Hmmmm, when the ram prices come down..maybe...

Where did you see 20fps faster in GTA v?

Well, I'm still not sure about upgrading my 2500k. I know I'm due but I was kind of planning on doing it when M.2 gets us off the SATA bus.
I'll probably do it before the free upgrade to Win 10 is expired.

Not to mention I got a motorcycle I just purchased. They tend to not have as good interest rate on them compared to cars...

I'm waiting for the Hypothermia review and giveway! :D

I forget, when did Steve completely close shop and finally shut the site down?

http://www.****************************/ Just redirects to [H], and has for some ime :D

I'm building 2 diskless LAN center serves with this CPU most likely. Great timing!

Honestly I do not think Skylake is worth the upgrade if you already have a SB or higher, unless you are going from i5 to i7.

Unfortunately skylake is not a big enough improvement over my current cpu, so I must wait for Broadwell-e And hope for 8 cores under $600.

Honestly I do not think Skylake is worth the upgrade if you already have a SB or higher, unless you are going from i5 to i7.
That's what I intend to do, going from a 2500K with HD6950 to 6700K with a Maxwell GPU. Indeed, without jumping to the more expensive line the performance gain would be kinda meh.

Unfortunately skylake is not a big enough improvement over my current cpu, so I must wait for Broadwell-e And hope for 8 cores under $600.

If it does happen, the resultant processor will probably be a neutered edition with at least 1/4 of the L3 disabled...:rolleyes:

That's what I intend to do, going from a 2500K with HD6950 to 6700K with a Maxwell GPU. Indeed, without jumping to the more expensive line the performance gain would be kinda meh.

What GPU you have now?

If it does happen, the resultant processor will probably be a neutered edition with at least 1/4 of the L3 disabled...:rolleyes:

If it's as neutered as the 5820K compared to the 5930K then I can live with that.

Back