Firefox Mad At Microsoft Over Win 10 Default Browser Settings

HardOCP News

[H] News
Twice the number of mouse clicks has seriously pissed this guy off. :D

We appreciate that it’s still technically possible to preserve people’s previous settings and defaults, but the design of the whole upgrade experience and the default settings APIs have been changed to make this less obvious and more difficult. It now takes more than twice the number of mouse clicks, scrolling through content and some technical sophistication for people to reassert the choices they had previously made in earlier versions of Windows. It’s confusing, hard to navigate and easy to get lost.

All roads in Windows 10 lead back to Microsoft. Designed in dependance.

Are the special settings in windows 10 that bad. That a 3rd party program will be needed to make getting to them easier?

I've got to agree. I found it annoying that you have to scroll through your "default apps" just to set your default browser.

It is a little annoying, but it still took less than 30 seconds for me to change my default browser the first time I opened Chrome.

I found the 2 seconds it took me to change browsers massively inconvenient! I demand restitution!

Every new "upgrade" they tend to hide things for some reason. Hell, just getting into "My Computer" was trickier for some odd reason in Windows 8.

In Chrome I went to settings and clicked the set browser add default button. It took me to the windows setting and I changed it from there. Sounds like bad programming on firefox's part.

If I recall correctly, I told windows not to install Edge during the upgrade process. Didn't have an issue.

Because that's what Microsoft has been doing with Windows the past few versions, making it more difficult to use.

I had no trouble retaining Firefox as my default browser after the upgrade, though I do have issues with Windows 10.

I dislike the number of modern apps that are installed by default and literally cannot currently be removed. I ran the PowerShell scripts that used to work in Windows 8/8.1, and some sites say technically still works in Windows 10, only to find that the modern apps re-installed themselves automatically after I re-started. I personally have no use for the full-screen photos app, the Groove Music app, the XBox One integration features (since I don't even own an XBox One nor do I have any intention of ever purchasing one), the PDF viewer that doesn't work, the tablet integration features, or any of the other modern apps. I know I can just ignore the ones I'm not using, I just shouldn't have to. Previous versions of Windows allowed me to customize things more to my liking and remove some of the OS bloat.

I also find the entire interface to be fuzzy and overall a step backward from even 8.1. Part of that is because my craptop has a low-DPI 1366x768 display, while part of it is that they obviously changed the scaling for UI elements. When I was running Windows 7 and then 8.1 on the same craptop it looked better.

I'm going to give it some more time to mature and suffer through it for now until I feel comfortable enough with Windows 10 to be confident in supporting it. A lot of people at work are already coming to us for assistance with the upgrade on their personal devices so it will be a necessary evil for now.

I dislike the number of modern apps that are installed by default and literally cannot currently be removed. I ran the PowerShell scripts that used to work in Windows 8/8.1, and some sites say technically still works in Windows 10, only to find that the modern apps re-installed themselves automatically after I re-started. I personally have no use for the full-screen photos app, the Groove Music app, the XBox One integration features (since I don't even own an XBox One nor do I have any intention of ever purchasing one), the PDF viewer that doesn't work, the tablet integration features, or any of the other modern apps. I know I can just ignore the ones I'm not using, I just shouldn't have to. Previous versions of Windows allowed me to customize things more to my liking and remove some of the OS bloat.

Not really sure what your issue is with a couple of things here. The Photos app isn't full screen in desktop mode and is actually more useful than the old Windows Photo app. The default PDF view is the Edge browser now. The free Microsoft Reader app from Windows 8.x is still available in the store and it's blazing fast.

Well, if the user wanted to change defaults, all he or she had to do was click a low contrast link (lol, it's blue text on a different shade blue background) at the bottom of one installation page before clicking Next. Sorry, not sorry you fail at install.

Just an FYI for you folks on here complaining about Windows 10. If you don't like something then join the Windows Insider program and submit your feedback. I work for Microsoft and they are taking community feedback very seriously.

Just an FYI for you folks on here complaining about Windows 10. If you don't like something then join the Windows Insider program and submit your feedback. I work for Microsoft and they are taking community feedback very seriously.

The problem for Microsoft is that many of the people complaining about Windows 10 simply want Windows 7+. Not cloud or services or anything modern that appeals to average consumers, just lots of esoteric options to configure window border sizes, turning off everything cloud related, etc. And yes, make it totally free.

A lot of conflicting ideals and goals for a very old piece of technology that used to dominate the world. And as far as Windows goes it still dominates the world of personal computing for everything bigger than a tablet even while the world of personal computing goes to ever smaller devices that are all about the cloud. Devices like iOS and Android phones that many consider are killing Microsoft.

It's something of a paradox. Windows 10 sucks because of cloud integration but iOS and Android are awesome because of cloud integration? Microsoft found a much better balance on the UI side between desktop and mobile. Now the trick will be finding that balance between the cloud and disconnection.

168784_cgeu-60k-4Y-U-Mad-Brocya.jpg

The most funny aspect of this whole FF-rant is that guy at some point states that Mozilla is all about choice for the user. Sorry... news flash Dear Chap. Last FF which given total control to the user was version 3.x.x. Since then FF turned into semi-chrome clone, just with different rendering engine.

I personally can't stand any of new browsers. Using still trusty Opera 12.17 64b and for pages with issues Waterfox if I really have to.

As for this whole rant. It could be much shorter: screw W10 - reverting back to W7/don't upgrade to W10. End of story.

I was part of it for 7 and 8. Not a single suggestion submitted by myself was taken into account. That pretty much defeats your argument. Even simplest of things like allowing pinning bat files without witchcraft that most ordinary users are totally unaware. Problem probably was that I wanted system for work and MS is only interested in spying on users and eye candy fireworks and rest takes backseat (if there is space at all there ;) ) every time. For all I care W10 can burn.

The problem for Microsoft is that many of the people complaining about Windows 10 simply want Windows 7+. Not cloud or services or anything modern that appeals to average consumers, just lots of esoteric options to configure window border sizes, turning off everything cloud related, etc. And yes, make it totally free.

I have yet to see any of my Windows 8.1 customers use a 'Windows App'.

Superfluous and just adds clutter to an already over fussy Start menu.

Windows 10 is the most cluttered and over the top Start menu yet. Great for 8 year olds maybe not so much for anyone else. Takes a fair bit of cleaning and pruning.

I have yet to see any of my Windows 8.1 customers use a 'Windows App'.

Superfluous and just adds clutter to an already over fussy Start menu.

Windows 10 is the most cluttered and over the top Start menu yet. Great for 8 year olds maybe not so much for anyone else. Takes a fair bit of cleaning and pruning.

On a desktop I can understand why many didn't use store apps. With Windows 10 I think that will change as store apps now work like all other desktop apps. The big issue is getting more quality apps in the store. But some of the included apps like Photos and Map are no brainers for average folks to use as they're quite good.

As for managing the Start Menu tiles, the experience could be improved like being able to select multiple tiles, though a tile group can be moved together. But it's not a particularly burdensome task and it's possible to put many more items on it that the old Start Menu. Pretty much anything that someone wants to put there can go there without limit.

Oh, and I'm sure they will improve the tiles just like they improved the start screen of Windows 8. That's not to say it isn't good enough already, because it is.

Seriously, why people bash Microsoft for doing exactly every other tech company is doing? If they do it they suck, if they don't they're not innovative enough. Make up your damn mind!

This is hilarious. Whats stopping anyone from downloading Firefox with Win 10 default browser?
I guess firefox is mad they will miss out on 65+ year old elderly market...

I think the major complaint is that users who already had a non-MS browser were switched after the upgrade.

Back