If you have a Fury Tri-X, check your TIM

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
Just a little note, I decided to take my card apart today and found possibly the worst TIM job I've ever seen, it was dried out as well. Same went for the thermal pad on the VRM, it crumbled to dust when I touched it. Note the extra thermal pad on the left of the cooler by the ports, it looks like there could be another VRM there but nothing on the PCB.

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

This is how I re-applied it, not sure if it was right but it worked fine:

IMAG0089.jpg

Where your temps bad? Or did you check it out of curiosity?

Interesting in seeing what the temps are like now. :D

Where your temps bad? Or did you check it out of curiosity?

Interesting in seeing what the temps are like now. :D

Temps weren't bad, but the cooler is so big it can hide that sort of thing, unlike say a reference 290X. One of the HBM stacks was only half covered even with that extreme amount of TIM on there (I could put a whole small tube and not get that much on it).

I was just curious mostly, but AMD board partners seem to have a history of applying thermal paste badly so I wanted to be sure. I haven't got it back in the machine yet but I'm hoping its a little more stable now (I was getting a random BSOD now and again during games).

How thick was the thermal pad you used on the VRMs?

No idea sorry, I don't have the labels any more just a stack of loose ones (I think they're the 1.0mm though). I matched the thickness of the original one which should be fine since the fujipoly don't compress as badly as that chalky stock stuff. I looked in the sides with a small flashlight and checked that they made good contact and all is well.

When you go Sapphire, you get extra everything! :p

I'm pretty happy with the card besides the coil whine, I've been having a fun thread benching against a 980 G1 gaming on OCN, his card goes to 1540mhz, mine barely makes 1050mhz. Interestingly, at 1080p and 1440p he runs away with many of the tests but at 4K the Fury takes the lead most of the time even with the huge clock speed disparity. I bought this thing just to check it out, but I think I'll keep it for a while. Games at 4K much smoother than either of my 290X.

haha wtf

that TIM application looks worse than the first one I ever did when I was like....11 years old.

I'm pretty happy with the card besides the coil whine, I've been having a fun thread benching against a 980 G1 gaming on OCN, his card goes to 1540mhz, mine barely makes 1050mhz. Interestingly, at 1080p and 1440p he runs away with many of the tests but at 4K the Fury takes the lead most of the time even with the huge clock speed disparity. I bought this thing just to check it out, but I think I'll keep it for a while. Games at 4K much smoother than either of my 290X.
yeah that's pretty much what Fury X does. Why it is slower at 1080p and 1440p is beyond me considering it is great at 2160p.

afaik all of the Fiji GPUs end up looking like that. They're over-compensating paste to cover the HBM.

Note: This voids your warranty, btw.

afaik all of the Fiji GPUs end up looking like that. They're over-compensating paste to cover the HBM.

Note: This voids your warranty, btw.

Every brand says that but I've never seen any act on it unless you break something.

Every brand says that but I've never seen any act on it unless you break something.
For sure, it's just a technicality.
As long as you don't physically damage the PCB they don't care / won't know.

MSI uses warranty stickers, for example. Sapphire doesn't. I actually emailed them a while ago and they rep literally said as long as the card is returned in original condition, then it's okay.

For sure, it's just a technicality.
As long as you don't physically damage the PCB they don't care / won't know.

MSI uses warranty stickers, for example. Sapphire doesn't. I actually emailed them a while ago and they rep literally said as long as the card is returned in original condition, then it's okay.

Of course there is always a chance they can tell it's not stock TIM...

OP's card was working fine, the reason companies use a lot of TIM is because it is a more reliable application method.

Maybe... As long as the color is the same, they'd never know. Hopefully your paste isn't solid white.
OP is totally safe in that regard. Both light gray.

Over years seen that as a grey area (use similar looking paste, no worries..).

Anyone know what the four 'mini cores' are outside of the main core? Memory controllers?

Anyone know what the four 'mini cores' are outside of the main core? Memory controllers?

Those are the HBM stacks. 1GB each.

It's the VRAM, High Bandwidth Memory (HBM).
Replaces GDDR5.

R8QPEMh.jpg

V5BmEsd.jpg

Thanks! Mind blown - that stuff is tiny. Assumed it was elsewhere on the PCB.

What thickness of thermal pad did you use on the VRMs?

No idea sorry, I don't have the labels any more just a stack of loose ones (I think they're the 1.0mm though). I matched the thickness of the original one which should be fine since the fujipoly don't compress as badly as that chalky stock stuff. I looked in the sides with a small flashlight and checked that they made good contact and all is well.

was a few posts up in case you missed it

Be careful poking around on that interposer while you clean it.

Definitely. There are little grooves around the core and HBM stacks where TIM will be down inside. The old stuff was so dry I used an electronics brush (looks kind of like a toothbrush) and just took it off with that. On the cooler the TIM was practically fused with the copper, it was really bad.

kinda makes ya wonder what they're using...of course we all know arctic silver drys out not to mention is conductive, but for it to be so dry already? them things haven't been out a month yet lol. Surely there not stockpiling new hot sellers in warehouse just for the timing of things? Then again maybe they are:D

Back