New Seaweed Strain Tastes Like Bacon

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Anyone up for bacon-flavored sushi? While seaweed is a nutritious superfood, not everyone enjoys the taste---but apparently, that problem has now been solved.

Some happy news out of Oregon State University this week promises to help with the issue. Researchers at the university's Hatfield Marine Science Center have developed a new strain of seaweed that has the twice the nutritional heft of kale---but tastes like bacon.

have developed a new strain of seaweed that has the twice the nutritional heft of kale
and the ability to go through colon at twice the speed of sound....

Seriously, I'll believe it when (if) I taste it. There's lots of things you could say "oh it tastes like..." and it might give some sensation of, but not actually tastes like. Hell all those veggie burgers used to say "tastes like real hamburger" yeah... no it doesn't, they're a bit more honest now.

I like regular dried seaweed and I'd try this kind.

Time article said:
“There hasn’t been a lot of interest in using it in a fresh form. But this stuff is pretty amazing,” said chief researcher Chris Langdon. “When you fry it, which I have done, it tastes like bacon, not seaweed. And it’s a pretty strong bacon flavor.”
That's the same thing as Bacon Salt. It needs fat for the bacon flavor to really bloom.

I love seaweed in many different forms. I've even had seaweed on burgers and loved it.

"New strain of seaweed tastes like bacon!"

Nope! New strain of seaweed tastes like crap, but reminds some herbivore manimal what they imagine bacon might taste like if they actually ate bacon.

Langson now has two large tanks of the bacon-flavored dulse growing outside his office, which produce about 20-30 pounds of the seaweed each week. The marine science department is working with the business school to explore developing a line of specialty foods, and possibly even an entire new aquaculture industry.

So, if this actually, no bullshit, tastes like bacon, and we can grow 20 lbs of it a week? Fuck all. I would farm that in huge vats and live like a king.

I've been known to eat bacon-flavored Spam sandwiches topped with actual bacon.

So, if this actually, no bullshit, tastes like bacon, and we can grow 20 lbs of it a week? Fuck all. I would farm that in huge vats and live like a king.

It's currently $90 a pound so yea real bacon is cheaper. While this is healthier than Kale but humans do need a good source of protein. We could eliminate pigs in favor of growing this bacon seaweed we could feed many more people, but we'd need another source of protein. I doubt this seaweed supplies any amount of that.

What about bacon seaweed with bacon bits and bacon strips? Why not?

In all seriousness I would like to taste this "new strain" and judge for myself. It at most probably has some bacon-like after taste and nothing more.

BUT GMOS ARE BAD

Like we haven't been eating GMO food since the mid 80's. Technically we've been beading food genetically since 100 years ago. And now we're worried it's bad for us? Food that grows easier and has more nutrition but because it isn't natural it's bad?

Same people who are upset over GMO food are the same idiots who don't believe in vaccinations.

We could eliminate pigs in favor of growing this bacon seaweed we could feed many more people, but we'd need another source of protein. .

Wait, eliminate pigs?
Fuck that.
Seriously? Like eliminate the species?
Where some kind of seaweed might resemble the sole reason for breakfast, it will NEVER replace it.
I would think that if it tastes exactly like bacon, it would only serve as a snack between the times you need the real thing.
Our species didn't develop incisors for tearing through leaves.

You sound kinda like a feminist that thinks just because there are vibrators, they can eliminate men. There is NOTHING like the real thing.

On the one hand, it would be good to have an organic / vegetarian friendly alternative to bacon.

On the other hand, fuck that noise. Sea-bacon? HELL NO

Wait, eliminate pigs?
Fuck that.
Seriously? Like eliminate the species?
No not eliminate the species. Just less of a need to farm them cause the amount of land needed to make a pig compared to just growing crops you'd feed a lot less people. I love bacon like anyone else but it's bad for you and you're feeding less people with the farm land.
Our species didn't develop incisors for tearing through leaves.
We also have wisdom teeth that dentists love to pull out of your mouth that we used to crush veggies.
You sound kinda like a feminist that thinks just because there are vibrators, they can eliminate men. There is NOTHING like the real thing.
Please don't compare me to a feminist. Now I feel dirty. But the reality is real. It takes a lot to make pig meat and feeds less. It's not good for you when fried. Though the #1 source of health problems in the world is sugar and specifically high-fructose corn syrup. Another thing to consider is that Vegan's and more specifically raw vegan's look better when they age. So some bacon flavored seaweed might be great for those who miss their meat and want to live healthier lives? I myself still eat meat but I just try to avoid frying, baking, and etc. Steamed or boiled meat if I can. Mostly cause protein and Vegans spend a lot of time eating high protein food like beans, tofu, and whatever. I'll have my meat. But if I can eat something that taste's like bacon and as healthy as seaweed than why wouldn't I?

raw-foods-fountain-of-youth-corrected.png

I find that hard to believe, I bet it tastes more like bacon-flavoured (the fake kind) seaweed. But I'm willing to give it a try anyway. I'm willing to give anything that's good for you a try, why not?

Oh man bacon flavored (Anything). :) It probably won't be long before they get this stuff in the big time since seaweed grows fast.

Also, just remember that Vegans didn't exist before Suppliments specifically because of Vitamin B12 which is found only in meat. If they did they would have pale skin and weren't around for very many years before dieing because their bodies require it.

I too am skeptical anytime I try to buy that seaweed salad its is more expensive then bacon especially when you consider you have to eat like 3x as much of it to get full. People keep saying plants are easier to grow but I cant find much in the way of cost savings.

Also, just remember that Vegans didn't exist before Suppliments specifically because of Vitamin B12 which is found only in meat. If they did they would have pale skin and weren't around for very many years before dieing because their bodies require it.
Well there are other foods like Soy products and most cereals have B12. But it isn't just B12 that Vegans have to deal with. Some vitamins like Iron just get into your body better if it's a meat source. It's one thing to eat vitamins but another to absorb them.

But if we can have Bacon flavored Seaweed than why not Bacon flavored Seaweed with B12? Just GMO that in there.

We need to consult Jessica Simpson on this! :D

I think trying to save the Buffalo from having their wings cruelly amputated for fast food restaurants everywhere is a full time endeavor ... SAVE THE BUFFALO WINGS ... only you can make the difference :p

The problem with GMOs is not necessarily that we create them. We have technically been selectively breeding crops since before recorded history, which can be considered a type of genetic modification. There are some serious questions with respect to how we genetically modify things and what characteristics are being added or removed. For example, developing pesticide resistant crops has been done by companies that manufacture the chemicals used in the pesticides. Given human nature, I think it is entirely fair to question the long-term environmental and health impacts of this activity. Adding bacon flavor genes to seaweed is cool as long as it is still metabolizable and doesn't destroy the ecosystem by becoming an invasive species.

It's currently $90 a pound so yea real bacon is cheaper. While this is healthier than Kale but humans do need a good source of protein. We could eliminate pigs in favor of growing this bacon seaweed we could feed many more people, but we'd need another source of protein. I doubt this seaweed supplies any amount of that.

From the OSU website:

This strain, which looks like translucent red lettuce, is an excellent source of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants – and it contains up to 16 percent protein in dry weight, Langdon said.

Pretty interesting actually.

Back