Microsoft To Provide Free Windows 10 Upgrades For 2 To 4 Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
What do you guys think about this? Good? Bad? Don't care?

"Revenue allocated is deferred and recognized on a straight-line basis over the estimated period the software upgrades are expected to be provided by estimated device life," the most pertinent slide stated. "[The estimated device life] can range from two to four years." Microsoft will determine the device lifetime -- and thus the support stretch -- by "customer type."

So, instead of 1 year, it will be 2 to 4? Smacks of them fearing what happened with 8, and all those keeping XP/upgrading to 7 instead.
Had they given a route for XP users to upgrade, I think it would have been a big boon for them...

I still want to know if my retail key of 7/8 is consumed and turned into a 1 time use key for what ever mobo i had it installed on at the time, and how fresh installs work.

So, instead of 1 year, it will be 2 to 4? Smacks of them fearing what happened with 8, and all those keeping XP/upgrading to 7 instead.
Had they given a route for XP users to upgrade, I think it would have been a big boon for them...
I'm pretty certain they mean that once you are upgraded to 10, you will get all Win10 updates for free (similar to how 8 users got 8.1). Not that Win7 will be eligible for Win10 free upgrade for 2 to 4 years.
I still want to know if my retail key of 7/8 is consumed and turned into a 1 time use key for what ever mobo i had it installed on at the time, and how fresh installs work.
These are clearly answered in the FAQ MS has posted.

These are clearly answered in the FAQ MS has posted.

Can you point to where it covers what happens to the old Windows key once the upgrade has taken place.
Can the old key be used if Windows 10 isnt preferred?

Does the Windows 7 home license - that allows me to install windows 7 on any machine I like whenever I like - get transferred to a Windows 10 license that allows the same?
All the articles point to the Windows 10 upgrade license being tied to the specific hardware at the time of the upgrade.
Due to this I believe that the new license is not transferable to a new machine and may also be invalidated if I upgrade my machine.

I would just wait and see about how the license transfers or not. I bet some tech site will take a windows 7/8.1 retail key, upgrade it to10 and try to transfer it to different hardware. Let them be the guinea pigs for something like that.

It's worth mentioning that there are two Win10 FAQs:

Windows 10 FAQ & Tips, which is fairly simple and comes up first in an internet search

Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10, which is much more in depth and comes up second in an internet search.

For example, the question of what happens to the original license isn't answered in the first, but is answered in the second:

Can I uninstall Windows 10 if I do not like it or something goes wrong?

Yes, you can see the following: How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10

Microsoft and their licensing is and always has been such a mess. As a consumer I don't even know what to make of this news and I don't think many others will either.

This "Windows as a Service" just sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me.

It's worth mentioning that there are two Win10 FAQs:

Windows 10 FAQ & Tips, which is fairly simple and comes up first in an internet search

Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10, which is much more in depth and comes up second in an internet search.

For example, the question of what happens to the original license isn't answered in the first, but is answered in the second:

It doesnt answer my question though.
No mention of what happens to the old Windows key is made.
Its all about rolling back to the old Windows, I wouldnt want to do this.

Edit to above: after reading more closely, I see now the real question is effectively "can I roll back to a previous version of Windows, then transfer that version of Windows to another device".

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM licenses this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

That last bit is interesting. It may be dependent on how, in a previous answer, it is revealed that "Windows 10 replaces your previous version of Windows by moving it to the Windows.old folder." The question of whether you can roll back to a previous version of Windows without the Windows.old folder remains to be answered.

It doesnt answer my question though.
No mention of what happens to the old Windows key is made.
Its all about rolling back to the old Windows, I wouldnt want to do this.

Okay, that's clearly answered:

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

I'm VERY skeptical of Microsoft effectively giving away Windows 10. No way a Corporate giant like Microsoft is just "giving it away" out of the goodness of their hearts. The question for me is if the consumer is not paying for it, who is? This should give you pause.

Given the revelations of Edward Snowden and Wikileaks, it's quite clear few things are of greater interest and priority to governments (which are to a great extent little more than thinly veiled "illusions" of self governance which in truth is owned and controlled at almost every level by multinational corporations, military industrial complex, & bankers). I wonder how much these organizations are chipping in to make Windows 10 "free" and if that buys them things like....

* Custom tailored O.S. for NSA and other spook agencies to spy & data mine all who use it with even greater ease and efficiency?

* Even better data mining of your browsing, interests, and general activities to be sold to anyone willing to pay for it?

Anyone else think or feel this way with regards to Windows 10?

/Discuss...

I'm VERY skeptical of Microsoft effectively giving away Windows 10. No way a Corporate giant like Microsoft is just "giving it away" out of the goodness of their hearts. The question for me is if the consumer is not paying for it, who is? This should give you pause.

Given the revelations of Edward Snowden and Wikileaks, it's quite clear few things are of greater interest and priority to governments (which are to a great extent little more than thinly veiled "illusions" of self governance which in truth is owned and controlled at almost every level by multinational corporations, military industrial complex, & bankers). I wonder how much these organizations are chipping in to make Windows 10 "free" and if that buys them things like....

* Custom tailored O.S. for NSA and other spook agencies to spy & data mine all who use it with even greater ease and efficiency?

* Even better data mining of your browsing, interests, and general activities to be sold to anyone willing to pay for it?

Anyone else think or feel this way with regards to Windows 10?

/Discuss...

Did not complete my sentence, what I meant to say is...

Given the revelations of Edward Snowden and Wikileaks, it's quite clear few things are of greater interest and priority to governments than spying and profiling every citizen to the greatest of it's ability to get away with.

Shit. They said wiondows 10 would be "free for the lifetime of device". That means in 2 years I'll have to re-subscribe for support. So at most a license will last for 4 years.
Even if that $10000 computer you built will last nearly a decade (except for maybe a gpu upgrade) and still be relevant. Probably an extremely rare example, but I did like being able to transfer my paid for windows keys to new computers when I re built them.

Smart move microsoft. So even if you can't get a new OS out but every 7 years, I'll have to pay you every 4 or more.

I'm not too worried about what Microsoft does with licensing of their OS. By the end of this year, I won't really have as much to worry about because I won't need 100% perfect Office file format compatibility for classes anymore and my workplace is going this BYOD thing where you log with your whatever (Tablet, Phone, Linux, OSX, Windows) device to a web browser based remote host for a virtualized session so the underlying computer pretty much doesn't matter. Both of those things are going to happen long before Windows 7 goes end of life and I can and have been using lots of Linux for most stuff at home already. I'll still play with Windows OSes just because it's nice to see what they're doing, but MS can do whatever they wanna with licensing and it's not a big deal to me.

Shit. They said wiondows 10 would be "free for the lifetime of device". That means in 2 years I'll have to re-subscribe for support. So at most a license will last for 4 years.
Even if that $10000 computer you built will last nearly a decade (except for maybe a gpu upgrade) and still be relevant. Probably an extremely rare example, but I did like being able to transfer my paid for windows keys to new computers when I re built them.

Smart move microsoft. So even if you can't get a new OS out but every 7 years, I'll have to pay you every 4 or more.

If you upgrade from a retail version, your Windows 10 license carries the rights of a retail version, including transfer rights to another computer.

i heard Microsoft representatives mention they are moving to a servicing model for Windows 10, does that mean Windows 10 is going to require a subscription?

No, Windows 10 remains a perpetual license, which means, you can upgrade to Windows 10 and use it forever without it expiring or going into any reduced functional mode.
(source)

You keep quoting answers that arent answers.

I'm going to go back to your original question:

Can you point to where it covers what happens to the old Windows key once the upgrade has taken place. Answer: here
Can the old key be used if Windows 10 isnt preferred? Answer: no

Does the Windows 7 home license - that allows me to install windows 7 on any machine I like whenever I like - get transferred to a Windows 10 license that allows the same? Answer: yes
All the articles point to the Windows 10 upgrade license being tied to the specific hardware at the time of the upgrade. Answer: only if the old OS was an OEM license.
Due to this I believe that the new license is not transferable to a new machine and may also be invalidated if I upgrade my machine. Answer: if your old OS is a retail license, you are wrong

The answer can be found here:

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.
If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):
- Includes transfer rights to another computer.
- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.
- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):
- Includes transfer rights to another computer.
- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.
- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :
OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:
- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel
- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on
- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard
- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM licenses this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the end user license agreement:
15. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

17. TRANSFER TO ANOTHER COMPUTER. a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may transfer the software and install it on another computer for your use. That computer becomes the licensed computer. You may not do so to share this license between computers.

You keep quoting answers that arent answers.
I guess you need to re-phrase your question. Here were the questions I thought you were asking:
Q: Is my Win7/Win8 license consumed in the update?
A; Yes - but you can roll back if you want. You cannot reuse that key on an additional system in any way, shape or form (well, not legally). This is exactly how the Win7 to Win8 "cheap" upgrade was treated, and how the FAQ spells out this new limited offer.

Q: Is my "new" license single use?
A: If you had an OEM Key previously, you still have an OEM Key (not transferable to a new system). If you had a Retail key previously, you still have a Retail Key (transferrable to a new system).

If those don't answer your question(s), can you explain what you need in different terms?

Microsoft and their licensing is and always has been such a mess. As a consumer I don't even know what to make of this news and I don't think many others will either.

This "Windows as a Service" just sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me.

sounds like there moving to an OS X type deal
with updates to Windows 10 over time ie 10.1, 10.2 etc for free or cheap

I'm going to go back to your original question:

The answer can be found here:

Sorry, I dont mean to ball ache you :)
The problem is it doesnt make it clear whether only one change of computer is allowed at the time of the upgrade or if it can again be changed later and if so, more than once.

It would also defy the way that Windows 10 is licensed as stated on that same page.
For example you cannot ever enter the Windows 10 key, it is automatically assigned.
If you change hard drive, you re-install windows and the your hardware is detected and the correct key automatically assigned.
So once a "device" has Windows on it, how do you move that windows install to another "device"?
Microsoft have made it abundantly clear at every opportunity that Windows is "tied" to a "device" for the life of that "device", so it doesnt look possible.

I guess you need to re-phrase your question. Here were the questions I thought you were asking:
Q: Is my Win7/Win8 license consumed in the update?
A; Yes - but you can roll back if you want. You cannot reuse that key on an additional system in any way, shape or form (well, not legally). This is exactly how the Win7 to Win8 "cheap" upgrade was treated, and how the FAQ spells out this new limited offer.

Q: Is my "new" license single use?
A: If you had an OEM Key previously, you still have an OEM Key (not transferable to a new system). If you had a Retail key previously, you still have a Retail Key (transferrable to a new system).

If those don't answer your question(s), can you explain what you need in different terms?

Those questions and answers dont appear on the previously linked pages.
I need clarity from Microsoft, an interpretation of statements that can be interpreted in more than one way isnt enough.

What do you guys think about this? Good? Bad? Don't care?

Yet again, King MS tried to install the "Important" Up-Date (KB3035583) onto my computer, which allows them to install Windows 10 on to my Computer!

This must be at least the third time they have tried to do that, but like the "Energizer Bunny", they just keep going, and going, hoping that I will be stupid enough to let them do it this time?

Wonder when I will fire up my Computer one morning, and find out that I am using Windows 10, instead of the Windows 7 Pro that I love, and plan to hang on to "Until Hell Freezes Over"!

Yet again, King MS tried to install the "Important" Up-Date (KB3035583) onto my computer, which allows them to install Windows 10 on to my Computer!

This must be at least the third time they have tried to do that, but like the "Energizer Bunny", they just keep going, and going, hoping that I will be stupid enough to let them do it this time?

Wonder when I will fire up my Computer one morning, and find out that I am using Windows 10, instead of the Windows 7 Pro that I love, and plan to hang on to "Until Hell Freezes Over"!

Please, just please stop with the FUD! No, Microsoft is NOT FORCING Windows 10 to install on peoples computer. Ah, forget it, carry on, I am sure it is fun for you. :p

Please, just please stop with the FUD! No, Microsoft is NOT FORCING Windows 10 to install on peoples computer. Ah, forget it, carry on, I am sure it is fun for you. :p

We are both entitled to our own opinions, which I have served my country for almost 40 years, to protect for you, but only time will tel which of us, if either one of us, is right, or closer to the way it will actually turn out!

Yes, and I served in the USMC for 6 years, so? There is right and wrong, you are just spreading FUD when it comes to what you said. However, thanks for serving, although it has nothing to do with this topic at hand.

What I think about it is that the guy at Computerworld has ADD and is writing trash headlines for page hits. Thanks for reminding me why I avoid anything with "world" tacked on the end, like "Computerworld".

Poor guy...can't read...and what he is able to read he doesn't understand and misinterprets. Microsoft has made this plain as day in dozens of forums and there are still people who can't wrap their little-bitty heads around the fact that no "conspiracy" is taking place here...;) Free is free, and a legitimate qualifying upgrade license for Win8/.1, Win7, gets you Win10 free, for the life of the supported device. Retail 8/.1, 7 gets you a retail Win10 license which follows you, not your hardware; an OEM 8/.1, 7, license entitles you to a free OEM Win10 license which is tied to the hardware you upgrade, and not to you--ie, you change out the motherboard with an OEM you have to get a new license. If you have a retail Win10 license, you don't.

If memory serves, these are the same people that also found a conspiracy in Microsoft's free upgrade offer of Win8 to Win8.1! Best to ignore such drivel...

So, instead of 1 year, it will be 2 to 4?

That is not what they are saying. They are saying you only get updates to Win10 for the life of your device it is installed on which is determined by them and is about 2 - 4 years. That means after 2 -4 years you have to buy a new license.

There is the catch.

FU Microsoft, I will stay with Win8.1.

sounds like they're getting worried that a lot of people will be sticking with Windows 7

Which is funny, because as a Win7x64 user extending the free upgrade period makes me want to wait and study everything people can dig out of the OS before going in. I want to see full on packetlogs, I want to see everything that phones home, I want to see everything they block and hinder and obstruct. Chances are they really intend to unify everybody on the same (ish) OS but the mumblings on the internet leave me in need of a breath mint every time I look into Win10.

Does the update only happen if your system has the minumum specs? If not alot of unfair performance hits will be blamed on them.

That is not what they are saying. They are saying you only get updates to Win10 for the life of your device it is installed on which is determined by them and is about 2 - 4 years. That means after 2 -4 years you have to buy a new license.

There is the catch.

FU Microsoft, I will stay with Win8.1.

You do not have to buy a new license to continue to use Windows 10. :rolleyes: If I were forced to guess, it would be that you would not get Windows 10.5 in 2020 for free on that computer. However, you would get 10.1 through 10.4 without cost. This is only a guess but, no, you do not need to buy a new license.

In fact, both my retail Windows 8 keys I bought for $40 in 2012 with be upgraded to retail Windows 10 Pro. Then when I purchase my computer upgrades sometime in early 2017, my retail Windows 10 Pro will transfer to the new builds, easy peazy.

Does the update only happen if your system has the minumum specs? If not alot of unfair performance hits will be blamed on them.

I would have to say that any machine that can run Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 is fully compatible with Windows 10. Either way, some folks will want us to do the upgrade for them, just in case.

I think the wording has thown people of the real point of the article

Basically after a short 2-4 (tbd) introductory period, Windows becomes a de facto subscription service. Technically you pay for updates which due to security issues is pretty much required.

Yes, and I served in the USMC for 6 years, so? There is right and wrong, you are just spreading FUD when it comes to what you said. However, thanks for serving, although it has nothing to do with this topic at hand.

Thanks for your Service too.

Guess you are so sure you are on the side of "Gods Truth", any other view is "FUD", whatever that may mean?

I think the wording has thown people of the real point of the article

Basically after a short 2-4 (tbd) introductory period, Windows becomes a de facto subscription service. Technically you pay for updates which due to security issues is pretty much required.
I would guess that for some time the consecutive versions like 10.1, .2, etc will be free for the next 4 years and then they will charge a fee for the next iteration of updates. I am just curious how that is going to work vs. buying a $150 license from the get go.

OS as a service sounds like a subscription, but how much are we talking here? If they are moving towards a sub model then they think they will make more money that way, otherwise there would be no point in ditching the license model.

I really hope they dont turn it into a money pit, otherwise their already so so reputation is only going to get worse.

The 2 to 4 years represents the life of the hardware.
They are indicating that is how long your license will last because you will change your hardware enough to invalidate the key in that time frame.
They keep repeating that the license is tied to the "device" for the life of the device so the hat fits.

The key cannot be transferred to a new machine.
You have to buy a new one.

Back