Uber Hires Guards In South Africa

HardOCP News

[H] News
I wonder if Uber is taking the added cost of security out of their percentage of the ride fees or the driver's cut?

Uber has been in contact with the police and deployed security to help prevent intimidation by metered taxi drivers at the Sandton City shopping mall and Sandton Gautrain station in northern Johannesburg, the San Francisco-based company said in a statement on its website on Monday.

It's not South Africa but I was propositioned to work for someone in other African countries for the oil industry and my first response was that I am very much white and feel that could put me at risk. The retort was that I could hire body guards for dirt cheap.

Whether or not they would be trust worthy was another topic brought up.

I do like how the article calls South Africans xenophobes for not embracing Uber in their country.

"Xenophobia is the unreasoned fear of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange"

Well that's just the catch all for everyone that disagrees with you huh?

Don't like Sharia law in America? Xenophobe!

Yup, Johannesburg is the per capita murder, assault, rape and carjacking capital of the world. This is the wonderful post-Mandela legacy we were supposed to all clap for, as life expectancy has plummeted.

Funny thing is my brother was a ME over in Africa behind a barbed wire compound the whole time, and they wouldn't let them buy a gun, but yup sure enough they had a armed driver and a passenger with an AK to transport them around. Even with those precautions, we still had multiple issues and recently again four of our employees at Schlumberger were kidnapped in Nigeria.

They probably could use this in Detroit too.

Don't like Sharia law in America? Xenophobe!
Eh, they've been overusing "phobia" for all kinds of crap forever, as if anything disliked is an actual fear. Have you seen someone that has arachnophobia around spiders? They don't go out of their way to find and be around spiders to attack them, they have an extreme flight response. But we call jocks that intentionally pick on and/or beat up homosexuals as "homophobes", when there's zero phobic response, its just hatred. I think the idea of calling it a phobia is to make the disliked aggressor appear weak. So pedos on 4chan probably call everyone pedophobes or something. ;)

Why is Uber so often in the news here? Is it tech related or something? I always forget wth it is, then upon doing the google search yet again I remember why it's so forgettable. Not trying to say it's not news-worthy, just curious how it relates to HardOCP.

Why is Uber so often in the news here? Is it tech related or something? I always forget wth it is, then upon doing the google search yet again I remember why it's so forgettable. Not trying to say it's not news-worthy, just curious how it relates to HardOCP.

It uses an app on a phone so that makes it relevant to tech discussions.

Stop reading and spreading fud and this is from someone who was born in joburg still in joburg.
...severe violent crime situation in South Africa, which in 1998 had already made the country (particularly Johannesburg) the per capita murder, assault, rape and carjacking capital of the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower)
The country has one of the highest rates of rape in the world, with some 65,000 rapes and other sexual assaults reported for the year ending in March 2012, or 127.6 per 100,000 people in the country.[14][15] The incidence of rape has led to the country being referred to as the "rape capital of the world".[16] One in three of the 4,000 women questioned by the Community of Information, Empowerment and Transparency said they had been raped in the past year.[17] More than 25 per cent of South African men questioned in a survey published by the Medical Research Council (MRC) in June 2009 admitted to rape; of those, nearly half said they had raped more than one person.[18][19] Three out of four of those who had admitted rape indicated that they had attacked for the first time during their teens.[18] South Africa has amongst the highest incidences of child and baby rape in the world
A South African insurance company, Hollard Insurance, stated in 2007 that they would no longer insure Volkswagen Citi Golfs manufactured in the previous two years as they were one of the most frequently hijacked vehicles in South Africa.[22] Certain high-risk areas are marked with road signs indicating a high incidence of car hi-jackings within the locality.[23]
A survey for the period 1998–2000 compiled by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime ranked South Africa second for assault and murder (by all means) per capita and first for rapes per capita
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa#Rape

Keep in mind they're not employees. They just arrange for people with guns to watch you when you request a ride and will not be held liable for whatever actions they do to you or anyone else. Sounds safe to me.

South Africa a place where Obamas thrive. It has turned into a shithole. Move on.

Back