3D Printing With Light?

So, the light is only visible through the camera? Am I missing the point of this?

So, the light is only visible through the camera? Am I missing the point of this?
There are some practical applications for this...For starters, you could use this to test the accuracy of a 3d printer, or calibrate it without wasting a pile of filament.

You could also place an existing part into the build area. This would allow you to test-print an addition onto it with light, to check for fit.

Yeah I guess it's cheap calibration if you have a camera kicking around. Also the idea of placing a 'temporary' 3D structure to compare to a real physical printed product in the works as said by unknown is a viable use.

I believe magnetic fields would be better for calibration purposes though, but the design of such a system, though very simple, is beyond the bottom-end market this sort of led/camera calibration would accommodate.

Ultimately I feel like this was just a nice little project for some students, kudos to them.

so, they've invented the hologram?

This isn't REALLY that revolutionary. The printer-head moves a little RGB LED in 3D space, the same way a 3D printer normally moves the medium, only there is an open shutter watching the light-print head move around.

Its the same camera technique used to capture this image, only instead of muving the lights around with human hands, its a 3D printer:

article-2150825-135102C8000005DC-343_634x477.jpg

Back