Hydrofoil Mini Drone

Congratulations, you turned a helicopter........ into a boat!
Neat, but seems silly when you think about it lol

Me, I'm more like I want to be able to afford a home with a big ass pool like that, screw the boat.

Reading about a Hydronefoil was a lot cooler before I actually watched the video. That thing looks SLOW.

I would much rather power my watercraft with a propeller in the water, it's ~784x more dense. There's a reason full sized air boats are only used in a few very specific locations and there are no full-sized air powered hydrofoils (afaik).

Those fish are prolly thinking this contraption is easily the biggest water-walkin' insect / dragonfly / somethin they've ever seen.

I have that little guy. Easy to fly, but two of the motors burned out already after about 15-ish flights.

Remember, on these little things, they use normal (cheap) motors, many times these small motors are NOT meant for more than bursts, so make sure they have lots of cool down time after EACH flight, many people buy extra or higher capacity batteries for them, which is really a bad thing. Many of the motors can be had for super cheap however, and many of the little buggers have brushless kits sold for them, not only giving them more power but longer flight times and often little to no need for cool down after flights.

I have seen a few cheap ones hacked apart, higher cap LiPo put in with brushless motors and they can be crazy fast.

Remember, on these little things, they use normal (cheap) motors
Yup! Brushed motors + no heatsink to keep weight down + lots of thrust required to hover and climb, and probably even worse for drones as I'm not positive that they get any airflow at all from the prop.

Now I do use a brushed motor on my airplane with super long flights, but I was sure to mount a MASSIVE heatsink on it with quality thermal paste and because the bird is always moving forward I know it gets good airflow, and with planes when you're flying down or level you don't need much power unlike the quads.

That said, that looks like a great toy for around the pool, as you don't want it to go too fast in a limited area, and the quad is great in tight spaces too since it can hover with minimal skill required to control it. If I had a pool, I'd pick one up. :)

Back