FCC Questions PayPal's New Robocalling Clause

HardOCP News

[H] News
Could the days of eBay and PayPal doing whatever the hell they want be finally coming to an end? We can only hope. ;)

"PayPal's recent amendments to its User Agreement raise serious concerns for the Enforcement Bureau," the FCC wrote. The letter noted that FCC requirements "directly prohibit" requiring a consumer to consent to autodialed telemarketing calls as a condition of purchasing a good or service.

I never answer the phone unless I know the person on the caller ID. If its important they better leave a message. Telemarketing, Donation Drives, Surveys, etc are annoying as hell.

Well, the law is that if you do business with a company that company has the right to call you even if you've put their number on the Do-Not-Call list. Of course, the law also says that you do not have to answer the phone if you choose not to, and that you can legally turn off the ringer on your phone, even. I do that often and people who have something important to say will leave a message--the others don't.

But apparently there are people in the world for whom the above remedies are far too complex--so much so that they depend on "their government" to keep these evil companies-who-sell-us-stuff-that-we buy-like-there's-no-tomorrow at bay. Imagine that--some company somewhere having the cheek to actually sell me something I want to buy! Bastards...!

Seems like the FCC is the only functioning part of our government.

At least marginally. I'm still disappointed they didn't mandate line-sharing, would've liked to see the broadband industry open up and become competitive like the old DSL market was.

I never answer the phone unless I know the person on the caller ID. If its important they better leave a message. Telemarketing, Donation Drives, Surveys, etc are annoying as hell.

Even better, my phone has a blocked caller list. I've gradually added most the telemarketers to the list, so now we hear the phone ring once, and then it hangs up on them.

I could disable the 1st ring so we don't hear it, but it's kind of satisfying to know how many are being hung up on automatically :)

Now, if I could just do something about the ones who purposely blank their caller ID, or set it to something I can't block. :(

PayPal's website does not let you remove or delete your phone number (I tried). Typical and expected underhanded move; however, updating it with 10 random numbers does work.

Mine new phone number is 000-000-0000.

Back