GameWorks Studio Opens NVIDIA’s First Office In Canada

HardOCP News

[H] News
NVIDIA GameWorks Studio — our crack team of gaming technology engineers — is opening a Toronto office. It will be NVIDIA’s first in Canada. At its heart is the cross-platform portability team we’re acquiring from TransGaming, one of that country’s most innovative game-technology companies. Click here to check out TransGaming’s press release on the transaction. The acquisition will enrich our GameWorks effort. The more than 300 computational mathematicians, physicists and artists on our GameWorks team work with developers around the world to make games better and faster.

gameworks... Well this is a dubious way to get Toronto in the news. :(

Nooooooo!

vampire-cross.jpg

And so the dark satanic forces gained strength and now spread as a blight across the lands. Shriveling and locking in those naive and unsuspecting into their dark fold.

Who doth possess the Fury required to fight the gameworks blight back to the deepest recesses of hell?

The AMD Gameworks Butthurt Brigade has arrived. :)

And if I recall they weren't exactly shedding tears for Nvidia customers when it was AMD trying to create their own vendor lockin with Mantle. Their tone when BF4 Mantle benchmarks were coming out showing favorable AMD performance was more like "LOL deal with it"

End of the day, corporations seek to give themselves a competitive advantage, both companies are guilty of it, but the good news is the GameWorks stuff is just optional minor settings in a game that can be turned off. No reason to go wailing like widows over the thing.

Kidding aside, with this development if PC gaming is indeed going to die; hopefully it will at least put up a fight.

And if I recall they weren't exactly shedding tears for Nvidia customers when it was AMD trying to create their own vendor lockin with Mantle.
Mantle titles were never designed or in practice did negatively affect DX11 gameplay, in other words they weren't designed primarily to sabotage the competition like Shillworks does. And mantle ultimately became DX12, which everyone, including NVidia players, are soon to benefit from.

Its the difference between installing a spoiler on the back of your car AMD style, vs installing a oil slick dispenser the way NVidia does.

The AMD Gameworks Butthurt Brigade has arrived. :)
I've been on Nvidia for about the past 7 years and I think Gameworks is a bad thing. They're breaking standards and pretty specific accusations have been made that in several games they've actually managed to LOWER performance for both AMD and Nvidia users, because it hurts AMD more. The crap they're pulling seriously has me wanting to consider moving to AMD, the only reason I've been with Nvidia so long is they have better AA compatibility.

Mantle titles were never designed or in practice did negatively affect DX11 gameplay, in other words they weren't designed primarily to sabotage the competition like Shillworks does. And mantle ultimately became DX12, which everyone, including NVidia players, are soon to benefit from.

Its the difference between installing a spoiler on the back of your car AMD style, vs installing a oil slick dispenser the way NVidia does.

Stop complaining. It's a valid business tactic.

r8xpj5.jpg

*crickets*

Gamers don't run Intel graphics.
Almost 1 in 5 users on Steam use Intel graphics according to the current survey results: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Top 10 GPUs for May:
Intel HD Graphics 4000 4.66% -0.03%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2.69% -0.18%
Intel HD Graphics 3000 2.54% -0.01%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2.50% +0.20%
Intel HD Graphics 4400 2.25% +0.10%
Intel HD Graphics 2000 2.23% +0.06%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2.16% -0.14%
AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series 1.95% -0.05%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1.86% -0.11%
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 1.85% +0.04%

Or do you mean true Scotsman-type of gamers? :p

Almost 1 in 5 users on Steam use Intel graphics according to the current survey results: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Top 10 GPUs for May:
Intel HD Graphics 4000 4.66% -0.03%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2.69% -0.18%
Intel HD Graphics 3000 2.54% -0.01%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2.50% +0.20%
Intel HD Graphics 4400 2.25% +0.10%
Intel HD Graphics 2000 2.23% +0.06%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2.16% -0.14%
AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series 1.95% -0.05%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1.86% -0.11%
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 1.85% +0.04%

Or do you mean true Scotsman-type of gamers? :p

Yeah, I actually gamed on my HTPC on HD 4000 for a year and a half. It's serviceable at 720p on indie games, which is what I played mostly on the HTPC (due to input lag).

But then I got a GTX 750 Ti, and there's just no comparison.

I will never understand how AMD people have equated proprietary GPU features like ambient occlusion and DoF (that, let's face it, most turn off anyway) with the elimination of gaming as we know it. Oh, and FPS sucking virtual hair. Hair is destroying PC gaming, or something.

The only thing Nvidia is destroying with these vendor specific features are their customer's framerates. It's all pointless eye candy that's not worth the performance hit.

I will never understand how AMD people have equated proprietary GPU features like ambient occlusion and DoF (that, let's face it, most turn off anyway) with the elimination of gaming as we know it. Oh, and FPS sucking virtual hair. Hair is destroying PC gaming, or something.

The only thing Nvidia is destroying with these vendor specific features are their customer's framerates. It's all pointless eye candy that's not worth the performance hit.

The beauty is that you can disable HairWorks if you like dated graphics.
But instead of that, people go whine on forums about optional featues.

After playing TW3 for ~80 hours and then watching the "Fallout 4" trailer made me go "Meh".
A dog with no simulated fur = so 2014.
A dead, static, none moving world = so 2014.

So sorry, if I find you "opnion"...worthless ;)

gameworks... Well this is a dubious way to get Toronto in the news. :(

Isn't that where ubisoft makes a lot of games?

Looks like nvidia will use that team of artists to let ubisoft farm out their own jobs and duties of creation the art and effects for their game, at the low cost of only running well on nvidia hardware.

F*CK ubisoft for that, they are not some impoverished company. EA is better than that. I want to see something less depressing, like a new mass effect trailer.

Isn't that where ubisoft makes a lot of games?

Looks like nvidia will use that team of artists to let ubisoft farm out their own jobs and duties of creation the art and effects for their game, at the low cost of only running well on nvidia hardware.

F*CK ubisoft for that, they are not some impoverished company. EA is better than that. I want to see something less depressing, like a new mass effect trailer.

Ubisoft, like any company, loves using other people's money. They are especially good at it too, and execs there are very, very well treated.

As far as I know, ubisoft Montreal is in good part (some would say overly) funded directly by the quebec provincial government for them to keep an office open there (read PR since ubisoft is a french company). The Toronto office is probably also at least funded by the Ontario government, though I cannot confirm that. Ubi$oft is rather good at having other people fund them. Seems they at got nvidia to pickup that bill also in exchange for having their games become at least partially proprietary to nvidia. So far ubi$oft seems confident in their marketing and do not appear at all worried about the complete mess gameworks did last time to them, or alienating non-nvidia gamers.

Back