Tim Cook Says Lack Of Diversity In Tech Is 'Our Fault'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple's CEO took time out of his busy schedule to speak on behalf of the entire tech industry about its lack of diversity.

Cook doesn't subscribe to the idea that women just don't want to be involved in tech — calling that argument a "cop-out." "I think it's our fault — 'our' meaning the whole tech community," he says. "I think in general we haven't done enough to reach out and show young women that it's cool to do it and how much fun it can be."

Right, because women can't figure out what they want to do on their own, and rely on a man to show her things, especially in the information age where anything you want to know you can dive into anonymously/androgynously in seconds with no effort.

Right, because women can't figure out what they want to do on their own, and rely on a man to show her things, especially in the information age where anything you want to know you can dive into anonymously/androgynously in seconds with no effort.

I strongly agree with this comment.
As a guy i feel it would be equally as insulting to make these remarks. "To show the women how much fun it can be"? Is that what they think? Women want to work in only fun careers?

Listen, we all want to work at a job we enjoy. But to imply that women can't figure this out on their own is belittling. If women aren't drawn to a certain field, industry, etc. then they shouldn't be made to feel like less of a person because they didn't get into a science, technology, engineering or mathematics field.

It is dumbfounding how these corporations think.
ZOMG! We need a 50/50 male to female split! and each gender much have equal parts of each race or we will labeled as racist!!

Talk to me when they push for more gender equality in coal mines or some other nonsense. Otherwise, this is just a PR stunt by a company to win favor.

Meh, women are incredibly judgemental of one another and especially girls. A girl is raised in an environment where other girls and grown women love to pick at everything she does or wants to do. I truly believe the vast majority of the blame lies with women. I'm a builder, I used to work in tech, my eldest daughter loves working with me all summer so she's decided she wants to build log homes when she finishes school. All of the boys and men I know think a woman with a chainsaw is hot, you know who thinks she must be a bull-dyke man-hater?

Women.

Men do the same thing, but never with the same energy. I will never understand how cruel women are to girls, it's pressure, pressure, pressure. Men are tough on boys, but it's a supportive sort of tough, too many women just want to rip people apart.

ZOMG! We need a 50/50 male to female split! and each gender much have equal parts of each race or we will labeled as racist!!
Except you never hear the call for greater racial diversity in basketball or football, that we need to reach out to more white children in schools, and ask what blacks are doing to provide a white-unfriendly culture in those sports and why the industry isn't taking a more active role in promoting white players that statistically should make up 75% of the teams. No one is complaining that there aren't enough male teachers in our public school system, and that students are being deprived of a male perspective which can stunt their development. There is no outrage that the growing medical sector is dominated by females, and what steps are being taken to right this wrong, particularly what women are doing to remove this entrance barrier to males.

At some point this whole "CIS white male devil" punching bag phase will hopefully grow old, where somehow in someway everything is "his" fault by default by either doing something or not doing something. :rolleyes:;)

Considering how Apple was in a lawsuit colluding to keep worker wages low, I feel like the whole diversity talk is just a smokescreen to keep your attention off the things they'd rather you not focus on. Afterall, I doubt Apple cares whether they hire men or women as long as they can keep the wages low.

More BS from Cook--he just doesn't "get it" and never will, but that is pretty much Apple from day 1...;) When I started in tech no one "reached out" to me to "show me how cool and fun it could be." Rather, I decided I liked tech and so *I* reached out and began learning everything I could learn about it as fast as I could learn it....;) Any woman who wants can do the same, and lots of them do--Cook wants to "steer" everybody and "guide" people--that's why he doesn't much understand the role that individual initiative plays in every area of life, including tech. Talking about racial/ethnic/sex quotas in any profession is dumb, dumb, dumb.

He's right. I know from experience that if I hadn't been exposed to certain things I would have been oblivious to them. Everyday I read and learn something new that's interesting. When I was in school my teachers exposed me to new ideas and concepts that I still find exciting today. Hell my dad was almost 50 when I was born, and he used to sit and listen to new ideas that I would tell him about that I learned in college. To be exact he would ask for more information and then drop some science on his buddies in the middle of a debate. :) Humans never stop learning and these learning experiences make life interesting.

Maybe if more females were exposed to the tech industry they would find it interesting. Can't hurt to invite children at an early age to Apple for a look see. Or sponsor some tech curriculum without making a school buy an Ipad. Nothing wrong with planting seeds of knowledge into the general population.

I think this has absolutely nothing to do with meeting a quota. Sometimes it just makes sense to invent new ways to fish for future talent. Especially since Apple's competitors like Samsung are nipping at it's heels.

Those women who love tech will create their own niche and tell Tim Cook to fuck off (or just totally ignore his ass like he never existed).

Tim Cook is right, though. It's his fault.

This sort of shit just makes women and minorities look like hapless children. The whole soft bigotry of low expectations thing.

More BS from Cook--he just doesn't "get it" and never will, but that is pretty much Apple from day 1--Cook wants to "steer" everybody and "guide" people--that's why he doesn't much understand the role that individual initiative plays in every area of life, including tech. Talking about racial/ethnic/sex quotas in any profession is dumb, dumb, dumb.

What they really need in silicon valley is some political diversity, but I doubt they will be pushing for that any time soon. They are too happy sitting in their little fantasy world to see the damage they are doing to the rest of the state/country.

The tech money in silicon valley, combined the far left culture in the bay area, has pulled the entire state of California to the far left. There's nothing the rest of the state can do except sit back and watch the destruction unfold like a disaster movie.

99.99% of engineers aren't doing design work. If you're spec'ing a connector to have 4 rows of 5 pins or 5 rows of 4 pins you're probably in the top 10% of engineers who are actually doing a little product design. Almost no one is designing robots, rocketships or artificial hearts as a percentage of where you will end up. Over-sell something is a horrible thing to do to teanagers and kids.

Especially most fields of engineering, the course load for the degree is almost non-salvageable to another degree. If in year 2 or 3 you decide engineering is not for you, you'll be lucky to salvage more than a semester and that's only if you go math or physics. So basically your sort of stuck unless you can toss away a couple years. So overselling on the front end if just fucking evil.

So we're empowering women by telling them they're not automonous enough to make their own decisions? Or that they have too much autonomy and we need to take that away from them since they're making the wrong choices?

Gender politics are so damned confusing...

corrrection. 99.99% of engineers aren't doing 'cutting edge' or glamourous design work...

This sort of shit just makes women and minorities look like hapless children. The whole soft bigotry of low expectations thing.

A lot of people are very proud of themselves for looking down on the rest of society. The same people responsible for a 'firm hand to handle the inferior' from the end of the civil war until the end of the civil rights efforts of the 20th century just changed over to pity driven low expectations and the need for handouts and excuded behavior. The latter incarnation of racism is far more insidious and corrosive to the victim than the former.

Yeah, if Apple products were more diverse, things would be better. That is definitely their fault. What, isn't that what we are talking about? :p

I think Apple has been a joke since Tim Cook took over, its very easy to see through his dog and pony show. Instead of focusing on the product like Jobs did, Tim sees fit to shove his social opinion and believes down everyone's throat and is personified like a god in the media. Well I am not buying it he can diversify himself buy shoving a iPad up his arse.

Wait... people think WHITE and male when thinking about those in Tech?
Male sure, but white?

When you say tech worker the first thing that comes to my mind is H1B Indian or similar

Male sure, but white?

When you say tech worker the first thing that comes to my mind is H1B Indian or similar

Hang on, I think Indian when talking about the tech field.

After all the flak Apple has gotten about lack of diversity at least they're now making a little progress. It used to be all gay men on the leadership board but now they have a couple of women but it seems like they're saying "here is your diversity with middle finger" with the bottom placement.

https://www.apple.com/pr/bios/

Compared to other tech companies that are more diversified.

https://www.google.com/about/company/facts/management/

Male sure, but white?

In "social justice" Asians have been lumped into the Americentric class of white people, which includes India and its people.

I find this to be a useful map when trying to think like an SJW in terms of their ethnic labels.
http://i.imgur.com/eLUyxow.png

This is all coming from feminists forcing their radical sensibilities on everyone. In order to advance their agenda they must convince people it is somehow acceptable to discriminate against men. They must be stopped.

I demand more diversity for sewer maintenance, garbage collection and people working in the slaughter house industry. ;)

I find this to be a useful map when trying to think like an SJW in terms of their ethnic labels.
http://i.imgur.com/eLUyxow.png
LMAO! I love how Africa is full of African-Americans on that map, hah! I got into a debate with a guy once, why I used the apparently offensive term "black" instead of African-American.

I tried to explain that African-American is for starters just impractical to use in daily speech since its seven syllables (like in 5th element when she said her name is LeeLoo Mini Lekatariba Laminatcha Ekbat Dee Sebat, I'm all pulling a Bruce Willis with a "yeah... no" look), everyone is fine with 'white' instead of European-American including government documents, and most painfully obvious is if African-American is an actual race then what do you call black people that live in Canada or non-black Africans with dual-citizenship in America or a British black guy working in America on a visa? So, yeah, African-American is by far the dumbest choice for a race name that liberals ever could have chosen.

My company is full of woman execs that keep pushing hiring woman and they suck. We even pay for their schooling. All they want to do is talk and hold meetings and ignore what the men say.

So when is the Nursing, teaching, dietitian, etc. industry gonna start giving us men some training and perks to lure us into their field and diversify?

Right.

And yes white male is stupid. More like yellow male.

I strongly agree with this comment.
As a guy i feel it would be equally as insulting to make these remarks. "To show the women how much fun it can be"? Is that what they think? Women want to work in only fun careers?

Listen, we all want to work at a job we enjoy. But to imply that women can't figure this out on their own is belittling. If women aren't drawn to a certain field, industry, etc. then they shouldn't be made to feel like less of a person because they didn't get into a science, technology, engineering or mathematics field.

Talk to me when they push for more gender equality in coal mines or some other nonsense. Otherwise, this is just a PR stunt by a company to win favor.

It's not the corps. It's the government driving diversity policy and attaching tax breaks and regulatory policy to it. That is what is driving this fad of getting females into STEM fields and failing. They simply do not want to do it and bemoaning from jackoffs like Cook et al. won't help the situation anymore than it already has. People will go where they see they can best fit, if they can. Corps will do what is best for their bottom line, not because they are forced to do it, but because they can do it.

I demand more diversity for sewer maintenance, garbage collection and people working in the slaughter house industry. ;)

Need to break up that monopoly of the mexishens. They've totally taken over. PROTEST NOW!!!

Gender equality will never happen because

1. Men and Women are biologically different, therefore it is literally impossible to for us to be 'equal'

2. Laws protecting men and women are different (Paternity leave is usually much shorter than maternity leave for example).

3. Society has not yet fully accepted the concept of a family whose female is the bread-winner and the man being the househusband if you will, therefore for families with kids, it's either both parents are working, or just the man is working, which naturally tips work force population in favor of man, not to mention that there are generally more men than women.

I agree with women fighting for fairer treatment and job opportunities, I think they really should. But fighting for total equality will never end well because Laws governing each side is fundamentally different, therefore men and women cannot possibly be 'equal', which is ironic given that most democratic constitution begins with "everybody is equal before the law" and is then subsequently violated by every law that follows it.

Considering how Apple was in a lawsuit colluding to keep worker wages low, I feel like the whole diversity talk is just a smokescreen to keep your attention off the things they'd rather you not focus on.

I think it's to lower tech wages. If they can get more people into the field, they can lower their wages. It's when H1 visas were limited that all these companies started saying more women should be in tech.

They want the supply of workers to exceed the demand, to keep wages down. Greed is almost always the motive of a big corporation.

What I find funny, is what they are really saying is women are too stupid to get into tech on their own, they need us to push them into it.

Christ, don't be stupid. Culture plays a massive massive role here.

Back