Uh-oh! Bill Nye's Solar Spacecraft Needs a Reboot

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Ruh-roh Science Guy, your LightSail Project needs a reboot….literally. The initial test flight of The Planetary Society’s LightSail Project has gone silent due to an internal software glitch. There have been numerous attempts to reboot the on-board computer, but all have failed.

2d7.gif

Bill Nye has responded about this incident..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJ0YIqnD50

As Dekoth noted, the craft successfully rebooted and is now in normal contact with mission control, and is operating as intended. The deployment of the sails is scheduled to go ahead after a systems check is complete.

Glad to hear they got communications going again! Curious to see how this works out.

I blame global warming for any problems they have. That has to be it, right? LOL

Well, apparently they had setup one of those automatic drinking birds to press CTRL+ALT+DEL but later realized it doesn't work without gravity.

What my book pre-supposes, is that... ...maybe he didn't?

:D

Tell that to Boeing, NASA, and others who hired him as a scientist throughout his career....
He's an engineer, not a scientist, though being an engineer does bespeak scientific literacy (one hopes).

How is a mechanical engineer who has dedicated his life to furthering humanity's scientific literacy not a scientist?

^^ This right here...

ITT People who have no idea what Science is and think that there is a career simply called "Scientist"

:rolleyes:

He's an engineer, not a scientist, though being an engineer does bespeak scientific literacy (one hopes).

Scientist: A person who is engaged in and has expert knowledge of a science.

And while I would list the different sciences, there are currently 633 different internationally recognized fields, including Bill Nyes fields, which is just too big of a list to put here. Thankfully Google is around for smaller minds to educate themselves on instead of belittling someones life work and advancement of humanity due to ignorance.

Back