Apple Shelved TV Plans More Than A Year Ago

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, Apple scrapped its plans to introduce TV set well over a year ago.

Apple Inc had scrapped plans of introducing an ultra-high-definition television set more than a year ago, Wall Street Journal said citing sources familiar with the matter. The iPhone maker is now focused on creating an online TV service and redesigning the Apple TV box, the report said citing its sources.

Kind of funny Amazon introduced the FireTV with voice control a year ago.

They'll bring it back when the superthin display technology becomes cheap. There's not much you can do to sexy up 46" LCD panel regardless how many Ks it is. I have no doubt that Apple could do a better SmartTV than most TV manufacturers, but I feel better with OTT set top boxes. At least you know the apps are getting updates.

Nah, they will bring it back when they can collude with content producers to strong arm the likes of Netflix out of needed material.
It would look like competition is exploding in the streaming business.. I don't think Apple will 'walk away' from TV anything.. tech will not be an issue for them to crank out a product (I mean its all already done) Its software and programming.. possibly margins too low for Apple's high-end taste.

I doubt Apple wants the TV market, its pretty fucking terrible. Its easier to dominate content on the TV with support items like their AppleTV. All they need is their own sound system.

Guess they figured even the iBots wouldn't pay twice as much for a TV with last years technology and built in iTunes.

Nah, they will bring it back when they can collude with content producers to strong arm the likes of Netflix out of needed material.
It would look like competition is exploding in the streaming business.. I don't think Apple will 'walk away' from TV anything.. tech will not be an issue for them to crank out a product (I mean its all already done) Its software and programming.. possibly margins too low for Apple's high-end taste.

Not fond of smart sets in general. I would prefer an easy way to attach a smart device to a tv without requiring cables. So a smart docking system. This way you could plug in and upgrade the smart features as needed, maybe even attach a pc.

Back