The Roomba For Lawns Is Really Pissing Off Astronomers

HardOCP News

[H] News
How in the hell do you go about pissing off astronomers? The folks at iRobot found a way.

But one group is really, really unhappy about this boon to the slothful: Astronomers. Some of them are so upset, in fact, that their objections might put the kibosh on the whole thing. How could this be? In a scenario that sounds straight out of the Golden Age of sci-fi, it all comes down to robots versus telescopes, and how they all communicate.

I know there is a lot of "Not in my back yard" politics going around, but this is the first "Not in your back yard" complaint I have heard!

I'm in agreement with the astronomers. Science is more important than consumerism for the lazy.

If the spectrum is reserved for astronomy as the article claims, why should anybody else get to use it? Let me file a waiver for channel 37 access, since 'nobody is using it' (also reserved for radio astronomy)

Lots of people install underground wires for invisible pet fences, it doesn't seem arduous to require that for a lawn bot. Work hard one day, so you can be lazy and let the machines mow your lawn, and your feet, and your car tires and whatever else. :)

In this case I would say that modern convience comes first.

Because observing space is neat, but nothing has come of it yet that has helped humanity in any tangible way.

Because observing space is neat, but nothing has come of it yet that has helped humanity in any tangible way.

We now know without a doubt that the sun will not last forever. That's kind of important. Maybe not right this minute, but eventually it will be a problem.

We know that huge chunks of rock could hit our planet destroying all known life. That's kind of important. Not that anything is approaching us, but how will we know if we aren't looking?

hold up what is wrong with edging your property with the electric fence or hell you can take it on a mapping run no beacons nothing just set it down in one spot walk it over your lawn manually once then at a set start you push the button it retraces a route saved in memory.

using the same thing a short range passive beacon you stick down that does not broadcast constantly like rfid over 3 to 5 feet you could even put them down in a path like pac man...

We now know without a doubt that the sun will not last forever. That's kind of important. Maybe not right this minute, but eventually it will be a problem.

We know that huge chunks of rock could hit our planet destroying all known life. That's kind of important. Not that anything is approaching us, but how will we know if we aren't looking?

Yeah but in either of those two cases there is nothing we can do about them, so knowledge of them is meaningless. It's just like me saying you will die eventually! I mean what do you do with that info.

But... modern convenience actually gives us time back. if by using this spectrum I can save 2 hours every week or so. That is real time we can use to enjoy life to its fullest before the sun explodes.

In this case I would say that modern convenience comes first.

First, you allow robotic lawn mowers. What's next? I don't know what the precedent is for radio but I would think it should be a little more difficult to bend the rules. This isn't 'Nam, after all.

Gow strong does the transmitter have to be? And how the hell would that interfere with a telescope? Most people don't have a telescope next to them

First, you allow robotic lawn mowers. What's next? I don't know what the precedent is for radio but I would think it should be a little more difficult to bend the rules. This isn't 'Nam, after all.

Hardly the first time, is it? Didn't they have this issue with GPS? Someone bought unallocated spectrum but GPS makers have been using those spectrum and therefore disallowed the person who bought to use it because of GPS issues or something? I'm pretty sure that happened a couple of years back. I wonder what happened with that, now that I think about it.... did GPS maker get reigned in?

Yes but we are only in theory into it's young yet another 250 million years before it goes red and likely we will have poisoned the earth to inhospitality long before that I doubt we will last another 20,000 years as we are.

also the problem is those telescopes are so sensitive they can pick up every one of those transmitters on that face of the planet. My question is why does the robot have to use that range at all if they used any of the methods I stated before it would be able to use a weaker and much lower frequency also I'm not sure why the dog fence is an issue sounds like this idea was born out of laziness before convenience. I would think putting an rfid into a sprinkler system then giving robot mower a map of it's route if it does not pass over the sequenced tag alert the owner honestly a whirling bladed device operating with no supervision bothers me and while yes I can imagine how convenient it would be to have this thing charging in a bay then at a set interval no matter where I am go about my lawn. I would be liable if say a toddler or house cat was in my lawn and they let this thing near them let alone run over them. I know they should know better than to be trespassing or to be touching it but shit happens and people are stupid I'm sure someone will find some way to get hurt by this. So while I'm in favor of not needing to mow my own lawn I do feel that while it does its thing I should be there if only to drink lemonade while it does its thing.

Telescopes are absolutely vital to the advancement of science, and not just the "what's out there really far away from Earth" sciences. Still, the question this raises for me is this: How many frequencies should be available for protection in this manner? After all, another astronomically (teehee) productive frequency could be found tomorrow.

That said, in this case, they should be able to find another solution. While the RF solution might be the easiest, couldn't the bot be fitted with sensors to determine where it should stop? A camera could be used to detect stakes (yes, a few more would be needed but they'd be less complex) placed for this purpose. They could even have IR reflectors so that the lawnbot could see them in the dark.

If this isn't a troll, then it's just idiotic.

So morons now want their own laziness to take precedence over science? Nonsense. This should be a cut and dry case. Why should there be any waiver given?

High and mighty people who don't have to cut a lawn themselves have spoken.

Lawn mowing is just perfectly fine at the moment with existing tools such as a lawn mower that you only have to push around your lawn.

No one is saying there should not be any automatic lawn mower, but the world can wait for them to find a new solution to their lawn mower issues. This is merely a tool of additional convenience, not a solution to some kind of problem people are facing.

i find it funny that a lot of you consider the robotic lawnmower a tool just for the lazy. while i will absolutely agree that a lot of the people buying one of these is just doing it because they don't feel like having to mow, so what? the fact remains that the robotic mower could actually improve the lives of a LOT of people.

1) disabled people
2) elderly people
3) people with allergies
4) people who live in extremely hot climates
5) people who just don't have the time to mow due to working hours

speaking personally, i live in TX where it has been known to stay 100°+ for weeks/months at a time during the summer. a few years ago it stayed above 100° for more than 90 CONSECUTIVE days. i don't know about you, but to me, it's a MISERABLE experience having to mow in weather like that. i actually gave up trying to do it myself and i let the owners of the property i rent do it instead, and i just pay the $25 mowing fee...after all, they have riding mowers and can do the job in like 6 - 8 minutes, vs. me using my push mower and spending 30 - 45 mins out in that heat. no thanks.

disabled and/or elderly people obviously cannot really get outside and mow, especially when it's really hot outside.

people who have severe allergies will no doubt be ecstatic to not have to go out and mow the lawn. as a result, they could end up sleeping much better, which increases their productivity for the entire rest of the next day.

there are people who work really long hours and it's dark both when they leave for work and when they get home from work. it would be awesome for these people, they can just let it run either while they're gone to work, or let it run right after they get home (if it's still early enough to avoid noise ordinances), and just let it do its thing in the dark, since it doesn't rely on sight.

and like someone else mentioned, so what if you're buying it because you're lazy? not having to spend the time mowing (and the time spent bathing afterwards) allows you more time to do other things, like cook dinner or spend time with the kids. there's not a person alive today who couldn't benefit from more time...and time is the only thing you can't ever reclaim during your lifetime. once it's gone, it's gone.

^The ironly cant be lost on only me...

You start by shaming people who are accusing lazy people of wanting this, Then start a list with disabled people... while ending it with lazy people.

You go on to day that you yourself dont like to do it not because you are disabled or any of the things you listed, but because it is too hot for you... Then excuse people who work for a living who dont want to mow the lawn on their days off...

"Im entitled to not work in extremely hot weather or work on my days off". Yeah. Lazy.

Lawn mowing is just perfectly fine at the moment with existing tools such as a lawn mower that you only have to push around your lawn.

No one is saying there should not be any automatic lawn mower, but the world can wait for them to find a new solution to their lawn mower issues. This is merely a tool of additional convenience, not a solution to some kind of problem people are facing.
Try mowing a lawn with divots in your ankle joint cartilage. Yeah, I don't need to walk or stand the rest of that day.

Hiring someone is $50/wk at least and your own riding mower is $1500 for a craptastic get the job done mower and $2500 for decent one. I double any of the above consume less fuel than the robo mower concept either.

What would be more cool is to put a kid to work to mow the lawn instead of letting a robot do it.

Try mowing a lawn with divots in your ankle joint cartilage. Yeah, I don't need to walk or stand the rest of that day.

Hiring someone is $50/wk at least and your own riding mower is $1500 for a craptastic get the job done mower and $2500 for decent one. I double any of the above consume less fuel than the robo mower concept either.

All depends on the size of your yard and area. If you have a small yard or rather the average, your figures are rather high. Also a small rider is going to do as good a job or better than this would. The more expensive ones only offer time savings as properly sharpened blades cut the same. Also you can save money and usually pick up nice used higher end for well under a grand if you look.

I have almost an acre of grass and it only costs me $35/wk to have it done.

I'm in agreement with the astronomers. Science is more important than consumerism for the lazy.
They can blow me. They literally have the most absolutely MASSIVE plots of lands already designated as radio silent zones.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...uiet-zone-where-cell-service-wi-fi-are-banned

No cellphones, no electric fences, no automatic door openers, no gasoline engines, no wireless routers, nothing. The people have to live like in the stone ages, so they have that.

There is no reason to make the rest of the entire country abide by that.

Stick to your radio silent zones, and don't hold back the advancement of mankind in the rest of it!

Take my money on the lawn bot. I've got an 880 and it freakin rocks. Screw the telescopes - I've got a lawn that needs mowing now!

What would be more cool is to put a kid to work to mow the lawn instead of letting a robot do it.
Even if the kid doesn't just race through your yard doing a really bad job, there's a chance he could still go full retard and run over his foot or something and then, yup, you're liable for $600,000 in medical expenses and exploitation of child labor. The libs have ensured that personal responsibility is a thing of the past, so the old days of 10 year olds mowing lawns and weed whacking and what not like I used to do back in Alabama are over.

And even the illegal aliens charge an arm and a leg now. The illegals don't get the money, I'm sure, but their english speaking "manager" that picks them up from home depot in the mornings and gets them their work probably keeps a lion share. The guy my parents use for example has a really nice Cadillac SUV, and I'm pretty sure those are about $50K.

And that's how Roomba lawn mowers get connected to politics. :D And here I was doubting that there'd be a way to grumpify and politicize this thread.

All depends on the size of your yard and area. If you have a small yard or rather the average, your figures are rather high. Also a small rider is going to do as good a job or better than this would. The more expensive ones only offer time savings as properly sharpened blades cut the same. Also you can save money and usually pick up nice used higher end for well under a grand if you look.

I have almost an acre of grass and it only costs me $35/wk to have it done.
I'm in Michigan an we only have 1st world labor to draw on. $50 is cheap.

Why can't Roomba use other frequencies? OR The FCC can simply pass a restriction that the devices cannot be used within XX miles of an Observatory?

I mean really....How many us of live near one? The closest one to me is almost 100 miles away.

Wanting such a device doesn't mean you are lazy. A lot of lazy bastards own a car instead of walking. A lot of lazy bastards buy an electric can opener. A lot of lazy bastards own a washing machine, etc. etc. etc.

I'm in Michigan an we only have 1st world labor to draw on. $50 is cheap.

I live in NY, last I checked it wasn't illegals cutting my lawn. But like I said, region plays a part. However the majority of your post concerning the cost and value of a lawn mower was misleading at best.

That all said, for those that bothered reading instead of knee jerking the headline. They are talking only about the area's surrounding the telescopes where there are currently limitations. They just want to ensure those limitations remain enforced.

They can blow me. They literally have the most absolutely MASSIVE plots of lands already designated as radio silent zones.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...uiet-zone-where-cell-service-wi-fi-are-banned

No cellphones, no electric fences, no automatic door openers, no gasoline engines, no wireless routers, nothing. The people have to live like in the stone ages, so they have that.

There is no reason to make the rest of the entire country abide by that.

Stick to your radio silent zones, and don't hold back the advancement of mankind in the rest of it!

...If you read the OP....that last sentence would suddenly seem really foolish and you would shake your head at yourself.

...If you read the OP....that last sentence would suddenly seem really foolish and you would shake your head at yourself.
Rule # 1, don't ask people to read something, essentially calling them stupid, if you haven't double-checked it yourself and ensure you understand it. Its like saying "Learn to spell, stuped!" :D

I'll await your "oops" apology.

That's ok.

The thing will probably just stop and beep a "Clean Blade" code every 4 feet anyway.

i find it funny that a lot of you consider the robotic lawnmower a tool just for the lazy. while i will absolutely agree that a lot of the people buying one of these is just doing it because they don't feel like having to mow, so what? the fact remains that the robotic mower could actually improve the lives of a LOT of people.

1) disabled people
2) elderly people
3) people with allergies
4) people who live in extremely hot climates
5) people who just don't have the time to mow due to working hours

speaking personally, i live in TX where it has been known to stay 100°+ for weeks/months at a time during the summer. a few years ago it stayed above 100° for more than 90 CONSECUTIVE days. i don't know about you, but to me, it's a MISERABLE experience having to mow in weather like that. i actually gave up trying to do it myself and i let the owners of the property i rent do it instead, and i just pay the $25 mowing fee...after all, they have riding mowers and can do the job in like 6 - 8 minutes, vs. me using my push mower and spending 30 - 45 mins out in that heat. no thanks.

disabled and/or elderly people obviously cannot really get outside and mow, especially when it's really hot outside.

people who have severe allergies will no doubt be ecstatic to not have to go out and mow the lawn. as a result, they could end up sleeping much better, which increases their productivity for the entire rest of the next day.

there are people who work really long hours and it's dark both when they leave for work and when they get home from work. it would be awesome for these people, they can just let it run either while they're gone to work, or let it run right after they get home (if it's still early enough to avoid noise ordinances), and just let it do its thing in the dark, since it doesn't rely on sight.

and like someone else mentioned, so what if you're buying it because you're lazy? not having to spend the time mowing (and the time spent bathing afterwards) allows you more time to do other things, like cook dinner or spend time with the kids. there's not a person alive today who couldn't benefit from more time...and time is the only thing you can't ever reclaim during your lifetime. once it's gone, it's gone.

This post is wrong in so many ways. Disabled people is about the only valid class in here. Everyone else should do themselves a favor and mow it by hand, or not have a lawn in the first place.

Elderly people have been shown to live healthier and longer by being active and having things to do...Like taking care of pets, or mowing the lawn or otherwise working on things they care about.

Allergy severity can often be reduced with exposure therapy, another point in favor of getting out in the world and living.

Extremely hot climates? Mow at dawn/dusk.
If it's really that hot though, why the heck do you have a lawn that needs mowing in the first place?! What a freaking waste of water to keep a lawn growing in weeks/months of 100+ weather. Speaking of which, maybe ithere are places that have daily highs of 100+ for weeks at a time, but 24/7 100+ weather? I call BS, it's really tough to hold that kind of heat overnight.

No time due to work? Well, if you can afford a lawnbot, it's probably sedentary office work, not manual labor and you need to get more exercise anyways.

Hate to point out the obvious here, but "huge radio telescopes" are typically far away from the suburbs, in fact they want to get as far away from most man made radio sources in general. I can't imagine these roomba "fences" put out much energy at all.

That said, I can't exactly put my finger on it, but fast spinning metal blades being allowed to automatically move around without any supervision strikes me as something we shouldn't do...

Just saying if you live in a place where it regularly gets 100°+ for months at a time maybe you shouldn't have a lawn in the first place, I don't know put something in that's more suitable for that climate.

Yeah yeah I know... 'muricuh!

Don't you 'Muricans in many of the states where temps get hotter actually get things like property tax breaks for NOT having grass (for water preservation and all that)? If that were the case, then how is "It's too hot to mow the lawn" even an excuse?

On another note, what ever happened to "I was here first"? Haven't the astronomers been using that radio frequency range for a LOT longer than iRobot has even existed?

My yard is pretty big. Guess around .2 acres or so of grass. It's $30/week to mow/edge. That's in texas though. not sure how that compares to the rest of the US.

I would never think of buying an autonomous robot to mow my yard. Sounds dangerous and expensive. Who is responsible if this robotic spinning blade injures somebody? So what if they were tresspassing, you could still be liable. Then of course what is stopping from somebody stealing the beacons or the mower itself? Do I have to sit outside while this thing runs to make sure it doesn't go missing?

Can't say I necessarily agree with nasa or roomba here, but I think the product is stupid. RC controlled lawnmower might work because a human controls it but I think we are a ways off from an autonomous spinning sharp blade from cutting grass in suburbia. And I'm saying this as a technology enthusiast, not somebody who is afraid of autonomous robots. I just don't think it's worth the hassle or risks for the average homeowner. Find a neighborhood kid or call around to get somebody to mow your yard.

Don't you 'Muricans in many of the states where temps get hotter actually get things like property tax breaks for NOT having grass (for water preservation and all that)? If that were the case, then how is "It's too hot to mow the lawn" even an excuse?

On another note, what ever happened to "I was here first"? Haven't the astronomers been using that radio frequency range for a LOT longer than iRobot has even existed?

Get out of here with your sense and good reason! This is America where wasteful nonsense like insisting on having a green yard in the middle of a barren desert experiencing an unprecedented drought and then complaining about how obviously trivial things like the pursuit of knowledge are robbing us of our right to avoid the heat we're too obese to tolerate when all our watering causes a necessity to mow is our way of life!

Back