YouTube Pushes Video Owners to Join Subscription Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
What happens if content creators decide to leave rather than join YouTube's subscription service?

The key change: YouTube “partners” — video owners who make money from ads on their YouTube clips — will need to let YouTube put their clips in the ad-free service, too. If they don’t, YouTube will make it nearly impossible for a casual visitor to find the videos. It will classify the clips as “private,” which means the only people who can see them will be those preselected by the video owner.

Hard to really judge without knowing more about how the ad revenue works...

Youtube says it will give 55% of revenue to the creators, the same they get from ads currently. While % are the same will they be getting similar compensation for the same amount of views when the check comes in?

If the revenue is the same what is the big deal?

Yet if YT is going to charge a flat rate for no-ads then there would have to be diminishing returns which would probably effect the more popular creators the most (obviously).

Yeah, the article makes the service look completely reasonable to me.

I did not get this quote though:

But I’ve already heard rumblings from some big video distributors, who say they resent having to put their stuff behind YouTube’s paywall whether they like it or not. One possible complication for some of them: It means they can’t put ad-free videos on other services that want exclusive access to those clips.

So they can't put videos on multiple services when those services want exclusive access? duh?

Yeah, the article makes the service look completely reasonable to me.

I did not get this quote though:

So they can't put videos on multiple services when those services want exclusive access? duh?

What it is saying they can't sell add-free exclusive versions to other services, since most of those deals means another ad-free version can't be available elsewhere... Since Youtube automatically will get ad-free versions creators are locked out of selling ad-free versions of their videos.

If the revenue is the same what is the big deal?
Well that's the big "if." It could cause a revenue drop for many channels, it wouldn't be the first time Youtube has kicked the stool out from under a lot of people.

Well that's the big "if." It could cause a revenue drop for many channels, it wouldn't be the first time Youtube has kicked the stool out from under a lot of people.

For this to even matter, would require a substantial number of people subscribing to youtube's service. I have a hard time seeing that happen.

For this to even matter, would require a substantial number of people subscribing to youtube's service. I have a hard time seeing that happen.

This. How many people are going to start paying for YouTube now? I don't plan to.

Actually it doesn't simply because Youtube offering an ad free subscription service will likely drive down what advertisers are willing to pay for ads, even if no one ever signs up for the ad free service, which would mean even lower payment for ad views for the content creators.

Actually it doesn't simply because Youtube offering an ad free subscription service will likely drive down what advertisers are willing to pay for ads, even if no one ever signs up for the ad free service, which would mean even lower payment for ad views for the content creators.

Or, you know, one could just use something like AdBlock completely for free.
Even the road to ruin has its toll.

This. How many people are going to start paying for YouTube now? I don't plan to.
I don't plan to either, but you know how they'll get you over time, by increasing the length, amount and locations of the ads. At some point YouTube might make 1/3 the time of the video a starting ad + ad floating during playback + ad after, all forced with no way to skip it.

I don't plan to either, but you know how they'll get you over time, by increasing the length, amount and locations of the ads. At some point YouTube might make 1/3 the time of the video a starting ad + ad floating during playback + ad after, all forced with no way to skip it.

Seriously, AdBlock or AdBlock Plus, they are your friends.

Possibly, but that will only help force more people to ad blocking. I'm not really against the idea of YT subscriptions, I just think it's hard to start charging for something that's always been free.

All this is, is YT trying to cash in on what ad-block has been doing for years. Personally I watch enough stuff on YT sadly that I could never go back to watching ads on every video and would probably end up paying if there was no other option and it was something cheap like $50/yr. If you don't want to pay for YT, then you can continue to watch ads or use ad-block.

Why would the YT video makers leave? They have no place else to go. It allows any common Joe to just sit in their house talking about random stuff with their friends or do a review and get paid for doing something they normally wouldn't. 95% of the stuff on YT (yes I did just make that number up) is just for pure entertainment, as far as the ones that actually get massive ad-revenue, and doesn't really offer anything of real value to society. If anything, certain instructional or educational videos are probably the only thing that I have found personally to be useful.

Possibly, but that will only help force more people to ad blocking. I'm not really against the idea of YT subscriptions, I just think it's hard to start charging for something that's always been free.

Well, let's be honest, it's not supposed to be totally free, and instead it is paid for by ad revenue in return for users viewing ads, but when over 60% of the viewers are using some form of ad blocking it kills that payment method so Youtube needs to try something else to ensure it's, and it's content creators, survival.

This is a mess we, the viewers, have brought on ourselves so we shouldn't blame them for trying something different, although I would think it would be easier to host the ads locally to get them past the ad blockers.

I watch at least 30 seconds of the ads on Youtube because I want the small channels I watch to get some money.

I watch at least 30 seconds of the ads on Youtube because I want the small channels I watch to get some money.

Really? Why not give them money instead of feeding the ad monster? Fuck ads.

I'd rather stop visiting the site than watch their stupid ads.

I'm not really against ads... I wish I cuold have it it is only activated on some channels, but i can't. I heard there is something out there that does it but it doesn't work with what i gots.

Back