FTC Asked To Investigate YouTube Kids For Deceptively Targeting Toddlers With Ads

HardOCP News

[H] News
YouTube Kids is being investigated for "deceptively targeting toddlers with ads?" Isn't that supposed to be a big no-no?

Their complaint accuses YouTube Kids of mixing commercial content with children's video programming using practices banned on broadcast and cable television by another agency, the Federal Communications Commission. Those restrictions -- such as banning children's TV hosts or cartoon characters from hawking products during a show -- emerged in the 1970s in response to research showing young children have not developed the cognitive skills to resist advertising or understand they are being targeted.

"in response to research showing young children have not developed the cognitive skills to resist advertising or understand they are being targeted." Most adults that I know still haven't developed those skills. Just sayin'

So parents shouldn't control what kids watch. Big Brother knows what's best. A steady diet of PC sanitized corporate (Disney/Comcast) swill is ok though.

"in response to research showing young children have not developed the cognitive skills to resist advertising or understand they are being targeted." Most adults that I know still haven't developed those skills. Just sayin'

Yup. It doesn't help that there are entire careers based on tricking people into doing what you want.

This.

/thread

smoke weed every day! :D

(jokes)

My Saturday Morning Cartoons were populated with commercials targeted to kids.
It is the way.
Kids programming, regardless of source, had ads targeted to them.
Duh.

Since when could toddlers buy stuff? They just cry in the store until their parents buy it.

My Saturday Morning Cartoons were populated with commercials targeted to kids.
It is the way.
Kids programming, regardless of source, had ads targeted to them.
Duh.

Just to clarify, they aren't saying commercials are the problem. They are saying the the host or actors in the show cannot be the ones selling product. Kids largely ignore commercials, what they don't ignore is Big Bird or Barney or Spongebob. Also, they trust those hosts.

So Barney can't talk how amazingly good McDonnald's chicken nuggets are and how happy all the other children are that get to eat them.

So wait, let me understand this.

The TV shows that children watch can NOT have advertisements using the characters that the children watch.

BUT they can do commercial breaks every 10 minutes advertising various products with various characters appealing to children. (IE: Squirt guns with little kids using them, or Barbie Dolls with little girls playing with them). How does this shit make sense? You can't appeal to kids! That's just wrong!... unless it's a commercial break every 10 minutes. Then it's bawwww good.

So true. It is disturbing to me how trusting people are of large corporations and believe every word that is said on a commercial, and don't even think for a second that a corporation that doesn't care about anything but profits and share price would ever take advantage of them.

Back