How Amazon's Website Has Changed Since It Was First Launched

Crazy to think that amazon started out as a bookstore!

Too bad USPS is the end delivery for prime shipping now. Bah :(

Doesn't look much different than it does now. You'd think after 20 years they'd have a modern site with a decent search engine.

The lack of a decent search engine I wonder if its by design. How many people search for one thing and end up buying something else. If you are a system builder, its irritating because your need info to make comparisons and you don't have time for detours. Imagine the wife searching for a scarf and a pair of shoes come up. How likely could you end up with a scarf, shoes, and handbag in the cart?

Crazy to think that amazon started out as a bookstore!

Too bad USPS is the end delivery for prime shipping now. Bah :(

Maybe just your area? I order ALLOT from Amazon, and have received probably over 40 orders in the past month and every single one was dropped off by UPS. Even if it did go to USPS, if it gets here on time I don't care. I also have a good USPS driver.

Looks like everyone beat me to it!

Not only is Amazon’s website a cluttered mess but their search engine is worse than every other company’s, it purposely returns wrong and inaccurate results.

Maybe just your area? I order ALLOT from Amazon, and have received probably over 40 orders in the past month and every single one was dropped off by UPS. Even if it did go to USPS, if it gets here on time I don't care. I also have a good USPS driver.
USPS is so bad in my area I had to call Amazon and told them not to ship anything to my house unless its shipped FedEX/UPS.

Looks like everyone beat me to it!

Not only is Amazon’s website a cluttered mess but their search engine is worse than every other company’s, it purposely returns wrong and inaccurate results.

Agree with this so much, some things are SO hard to find, and forget about category browsing, sometimes you cant even find the right one, and have to do some weird searching to be able to bring it up. People can say what they want about NewEgg, but they got it right, easy searching and browsing, and with Amazons money and power, there is no reason for them not to have top notch search and website.

A quantum leap refers to an electron jumping from one energy to another within an atom's sub-atomic structure, and is therefore very small.

hello, fellow physics nerd.

I would advise you to come to terms with the fact that people are going to abuse language in ways that will upset you. I learned this long ago, and life is much easier now :)

hello, fellow physics nerd.

I would advise you to come to terms with the fact that people are going to abuse language in ways that will upset you. I learned this long ago, and life is much easier now :)

I know, I know :(.

The lack of a decent search engine I wonder if its by design. How many people search for one thing and end up buying something else. If you are a system builder, its irritating because your need info to make comparisons and you don't have time for detours. Imagine the wife searching for a scarf and a pair of shoes come up. How likely could you end up with a scarf, shoes, and handbag in the cart?

I love searching for memory on Amazon and getting hp printer cartridges instead.

I'm pretty sure the search has something to do with it bein impossible to break down everything sold like NewEgg does it.

They could offer a PC section that mimics theirs but it would be outside their aesthetics.

I use Newegg to find the parts I need and read reviews then just order off Amazon. Effectively newegg is my Amazon search engine.

I'm pretty sure the search has something to do with it bein impossible to break down everything sold like NewEgg does it.

They could offer a PC section that mimics theirs but it would be outside their aesthetics.

I use Newegg to find the parts I need and read reviews then just order off Amazon. Effectively newegg is my Amazon search engine.

Any good search engine could do this, I am sure they have the resources to put it together as well. Newegg has allot more than computer parts and the category browsing as well as searching still works far far better than Amazon. With Amazon much of the time you get results that have nothing at all to do with what you are searching for.

If only someone would make a browser plugin that let's you shop at new egg and automatically returns the price and direct link to that product on Amazon. ;)

Haha, no it is by design. Their search engine is obviously programmed to return inaccurate and often completely wrong/unrelated results so that stupid consumers purchase more than they otherwise would have.

Haha, no it is by design. Their search engine is obviously programmed to return inaccurate and often completely wrong/unrelated results so that stupid consumers purchase more than they otherwise would have.

Is this the Internet sales equivalent of putting all the candy and gum at the register so that you have no choice but to stare at it while waiting for that lady in the front of the line who brought way too many items to the express checkout?

Back