Sony SmartEyeglass Developer Edition SED-E1

Still a bit pricey for what is essentially a smartphone on your head. And this has the same social stigma issues as Google Glass. These devices need to be more than eye glass smartphones and socially awkward cameras.

I tend to agree. That external piece is bulky, and wired and how you have to navigate. Also the glasses themselves are bulky and look like they completely block any perifrial vision whatsoever. I dislike it.

It needs to be something more svelt OR designed not to block vision unless it is in use. Some kind of flip down monicle thing. Make it clear what it is, and when it is engaged and when it is just sitting there doing nothing. Have it work with multiple kinds of glasses.

looks like an instant invitation to get robbed. it's clunky, and looks ridiculous. and it was written by sony. which means the interface with do nothing most of the time, and something you don't want, the rest of the time.

Wait a minute! You pair it with your smart phone and you still have a hockey puck wired device that is wired to the glasses?

Except for the dongle thing, they look a little better than Google Glass[...]

What? In what world? Sure, Google's failure may have been mildly dorky looking, but these abominations are the worst flavor of birth control glasses I've ever seen.

And as glasses, these warm-weather ski goggles are wretched. The design makes it obvious that they're reflecting the HUD off the back side of the lens, which means they had to design these horse blinders to block any outside light from slipping around the frame. As a result, it looks like you're losing a good 10-20 degrees of peripheral vision in every direction. And now that I think about it, this design requires a flat reflective surface, which means there's no way it could use any form of prescription lens.

Basically, the only market served here is those fools from the 90's who used to strap on a backpack full of computers and cameras and call themselves "cyborgs".

Seriously! I was instantly reminded of:

m93prq.jpg

Tell me I'm wrong!

No.

This'll be awesome in a few years, maybe 3-6? Right now that just looks terrible, unstable, bulky.

Woulda maybe helped if they used a model with a bigger head, but even so. No.

That's the best looking design they could come up with? Seriously? Did they learn nothing from Google Glass?

Augmented reality is the future, unfortunately it looks like the future is still several iterations away.

From the name to the design, everything about this is terrible. But they might as well make the HUD this.

latest

Those don't look better....if anything they are worse than Glass. :confused:

You'll sell me when you make a contact lens edition without a frigging wire hanging out of them and even then...I probably wouldn't buy it.

those things are hideous, I'd rather wear a "smart" pair of welding goggles

Wait a minute, isn't sony that company which is all for that DRM. We've already seen the DRM stuff for google glass in theaters, how is sony going to be any different?

Abort this launch. It's hideous. Please tell me the hockey puck is part of the prototype.
These are very ugly.

Wait a minute, isn't sony that company which is all for that DRM. We've already seen the DRM stuff for google glass in theaters, how is sony going to be any different?

Seriously. Sony = poor security, drm, root kits, proprietary everything. Stay away from anything this company makes.

Back