Scientists Achieve X-ray Vision With Safe, Visible Light

HardOCP News

[H] News
Physicists have found a way to see through opaque materials such as living tissue. While that is certainly impressive, most of us just want to know if it can see through clothes. :cool:

If you think X-rays and other forms of radiation have a monopoly on penetrating opaque objects, visible light begs to differ. It actually can pass through things like paint and human tissue, which has powerful implications for medical research and other fields. Regular lightwaves could one day replace X-rays or even allow scientists to remove tumors with lasers instead of risky surgery.

My dream to finally see people naked has finally come true. And they won't have to die from cancer either.

reminds me of some childrens toys that would see through layers of some items with just illuminating the bright lights in a room.

Near-infrared light (in the 620nm-900nm range) can penetrate human tissue, but not more than a few centimeters without significant tissue-heating. Pulsing more intense flashes of light mitigates the tissue-heating effect and allows for slightly greater penetration. This is used in physical therapy and in... medical research. Specific wavelengths can activate corresponding portions of the mitochondrial cytochrome-C-Oxidase (CCO) chain.

This article discusses an entirely different method, but I do wonder if the tissue-heating limitation would still be present.

There's already terahertz imaging for seeing though clothes.

On the cheap, IR will also work on some clothing. It's not hard to modify a camera to do it either.

With the widespread popularity of Yoga pants hasn't your dream already been fulfilled?

75926.jpg

Wallace Carothers will go down as one of the greatest men in history.

No, it's completely normal, so you're not.

I never claimed I was "normal" (which is a debatable thing anywho so using it might be a little bit off in this situation). However, if I don't want someone to go leering at me and do nothing at all to dress or act like I'm interested, but they do it anyway or, even worse, go getting all x-ray creeper about it, they should have to go into a reprogramming vat to have their defective lack of self control fixed by removing the organs that are responsible for most of those defects.

Back