Uber Introduces 'Panic Button' In India

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know about you, but I don't want to ride in any vehicle that had to have a panic button installed. :eek:

Uber is introducing two new safety features for riders in India in response to concerns about safety that followed a passenger reporting she had been raped by a driver. The San Francisco-based taxi alternative company says it will launch a “panic button” in its ride-hailing app that allows riders to notify the police in case of an emergency, and a “safety net” feature that will allow users to share trip details and their location with as many as five other people.

Last edited:
Bad guy installs jammer in car. Your next move?

Attack in progress: get phone out, turn on main screen, open Uber, select panic button.

"[Uber] added that [physical panic] buttons would be vulnerable to wear and tear."

They should possibly fire that driver if his car's panic button is wearing out ...

They should possibly fire that driver if his car's panic button is wearing out ...
Heheh..

but yeah, what's a panic button going to realistic do? Police are not going to instantly converge on that car, especially in India, chances are the woman gets raped/killed/dumped before anyone get a chance to respond (assuming she has GPS turned on with her phone). About the only thing it's good for is to let people know this is the driver that raped you, and I'm guessing they already know that based upon the driver who picked you up.

I'm pretty sure Uber drivers in India are just goats

I'd be pressing it at every intersection. Have you seen how Indians drive?

india-traffic-o.gif

I'd be pressing it at every intersection. Have you seen how Indians drive?

india-traffic-o.gif

That's not even that bad, I don't see any autorickshaws going totally the wrong way (down is clearly a one-way street, but there's nobody coming out of it).

Uber (or some other company with a competing product) should offer a service for women with only women drivers ... it isn't an absolute protection but would probably be well received in these countries with some of the more dramatic safety issues

My girlfriend is from India. This happens quite often and since usually nothing will happen, the women don't report it. The women risk being groped and raped just walking down a populated street. Most of the time when she is out walking in a safer area the guys will stare at her chest and not look away. For example, in a line for groceries or something. The stories she tells me not only makes me worried for her safety when she visits her parents, but makes me sick.

I have to concur with Trevors opinion on India (in Meet the Feebles).

Back