Selfies Caused A Deadly Plane Crash

HardOCP News

[H] News
How is it NOT against regulations to take a selfie in the cockpit of a plane? Especially when you are the one flying the damn thing?

As a pilot flying a Cessna 150K aircraft under general aviation rules, Singh was not violating Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations by taking photos in the cockpit. Nevertheless, investigators concluded in their report, “It is likely that cell phone use during the accident flight distracted the pilot and contributed to the development of spatial disorientation and subsequent loss of control.”

Now if that could only happen to every one else taking a selfie!

Spontaneous human combustion caused by the wavelength of light in the flash with human DNA? nah too many innocent bystanders

You can't regulate everything Steve.

I don't know if you are a pilot or understand how things work in the cockpit but piloting any aircraft, like most things in life, doesn't require your absolute concentration for every second.

There are long stretches where nothing more than occasional checks that everything is normal is more than adequate.

The professional training and skills come in to play during takeoff, landing, bad weather/emergencies/the unexpected, and navigation.

In short, there's really tons of time to take selfies while flying an aircraft.

The issue isn't a need for regs. The issue is that a particular pilot chose to be distracted at a bad time.

You can't regulate that.

In the article, it says this guy was taking selfies during takeoff & landing and didn't have the experience to fly in the conditions or with passenger. Dumbass had it coming.

Can't we just simply that requirement to "don't take selfies" :D

anKvvZL.jpg

Congratulations, you win a Darwin Award, thank you for by your own stupidity taking yourself out of the gene pool.

I'm guessing they found photos of the pilot and the other guy from before the plane went down?

I'm guessing they found photos of the pilot and the other guy from before the plane went down?

From the article:
The camera and memory card survived the crash, and investigators observed Singh and his passengers on flights immediately before the one that crashed “taking self-photographs with their cell phones and, during the night flight....

Basically the guy was a moron for taking pics while:
a) to close to the ground
b) at night
c) with not enough logged flight time

My dad was a general aviation pilot and I've been up with him many times when I was a kid, so I know what it takes to fly safely.

idiot, was thinking it was a big plane from the term deadly.

From the article:

Basically the guy was a moron for taking pics while:
a) to close to the ground
b) at night
c) with not enough logged flight time

My dad was a general aviation pilot and I've been up with him many times when I was a kid, so I know what it takes to fly safely.

Bingo. Plus b2) Using the flash at night

When I'm at the controls, I don't use the camera unless I'm on autopilot. If I want to take pictures and autopilot isn't an option, I hand the controls off to the person in the other seat. Or, even better, hand the CAMERA to the person in the other seat, and ask them to take the pictures. And never, *NEVER* use the flash.

He was trying for the elusive "plane crash" angle for his dating profile

there was no video of the current flight and crash, just video from previous flights and they assumed photography caused this crash based on video of the previous flights.

I love feel good stories like these. Retards removed themselves from the gene pool without hurting anyone else. Feels good man. :)

So you're calling his PASSENGER A retard too?
He was MURDERED by the pilot!! Why are you blaming PASSENGERS now?

So you're calling his PASSENGER A retard too?
He was MURDERED by the pilot!! Why are you blaming PASSENGERS now?

Maybe the pilot was like "here hold my stick while I take some pics" and the passenger thought it would be funny to push the stick forward.

Maybe the pilot was like "here hold my stick while I take some pics" and the passenger thought it would be funny to push the stick forward.

Would still be the fault of the pilot. Pilot is responsible for the safety of everyone onboard. Also related to it being a crime for a captain to abandon his ship ahead of the passengers getting off safely.

I was thinking that it was a commercial carrier when i first saw the title. It could have been way worse to say the least.

I don't fly a plane, but when you're in the middle of the air does it really require that much attention to keep it in the air? I would not imagine a small plane like that would have any kind of auto pilot though, so like, does it just do a nose drive the minute you let go the controls? Just seems odd that a selfie would cause a crash condition that is unrecoverable in such a short time.

I don't fly a plane, but when you're in the middle of the air does it really require that much attention to keep it in the air? I would not imagine a small plane like that would have any kind of auto pilot though, so like, does it just do a nose drive the minute you let go the controls? Just seems odd that a selfie would cause a crash condition that is unrecoverable in such a short time.

The guy had no business flying at night in those conditions with the kind of hours he had. Add a few blinding flashes and a turn (which naturally confuses your body's sense of motion) into the mix and it looks like he flew the plane straight into a stall without noticing it. At that altitude he would've had to recover fast, but considering he didn't know what he was doing anyway, I guess it wasn't gonna happen.

The guy had no business flying at night in those conditions with the kind of hours he had. Add a few blinding flashes and a turn (which naturally confuses your body's sense of motion) into the mix and it looks like he flew the plane straight into a stall without noticing it. At that altitude he would've had to recover fast, but considering he didn't know what he was doing anyway, I guess it wasn't gonna happen.

Yeah true guess at night it's much harder to get a sense of direction. You could think you're flying straight and you're actually sideways pointed down or something. Sounds like he did not have much experience so that did not help.

I'm glad it wasn't a commercial aircraft, though I guess something would be seriously wrong if any airline actually hires a pilot that retarded.

Yeah true guess at night it's much harder to get a sense of direction. You could think you're flying straight and you're actually sideways pointed down or something. Sounds like he did not have much experience so that did not help.

Is this not why they have fly-by-instrument?

I've driven by gps in my car when I couldn't see curves very well due to fog. That was quite fun but fortunately only required 2 dimensions and not 3.

Is this not why they have fly-by-instrument?

I've driven by gps in my car when I couldn't see curves very well due to fog. That was quite fun but fortunately only required 2 dimensions and not 3.

I don't know if driving by GPS is a good idea. :p It's not going to show you obstructions and/or people on the road.

Laptop + webcam = problem solved!

Strange thing is it takes intelligence to get a pilots license :rolleyes:

Back