AOL Insider: 'The Sales Team is Getting Annihilated Today'

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It was truly a Black Friday over at AOL corporate headquarters on Friday. AOL announced the layoff of at least 150 workers in the sales area, including the closing of Joystiq and TUAW, two valuable news sites that will be folded into TechCrunch, minus most of their experienced staff.

Our first source tells us this is mostly correct: AOL is moving toward more programmatic and platform-based products, while focusing its content efforts on the sites with the highest traffic, like the Huffington Post.

I can think of a bunch of other sites that should have shut down instead.

I can think of a bunch of other sites that should have shut down instead.

Yep, Joystiq was a regular stop for me due primarily to the fact that they people writing for it knew what was going on. Any new contributors will have to re-establish creditability.

AOL is just code for "how to screw up the stuff you buy."

I like how they use the excuse "AOL is moving toward more <something> and <something><filler text>, while focusing its efforts on <filler text>, <example>". For each round of layoffs as their profits keep shrinking, they will keep "moving toward more <something> while focusing its efforts on <whatever>" until they become a 1-man show. :D

Damn! Joystiq is my main gaming go-to site. While every other site focused on clickbait, Joystiq managed to avoid most of that. TechCrunch, is just another Apple fan blog.

My list of trustworthy sites grows thin.

Maybe they should have shown more upskirt screencaps from the latest Japanese fighting game, right Kotaku?

AOL owns a crapload of blogs I have noticed in just about any industry you can imagine.

Makes me wonder if the #gamergate mags are all owned by the same parent company behind the scenes too.

Back