Reddit Gives User Data To The Feds 58% Of The Time

HardOCP News

[H] News
Reddit's first transparency report reveals that the company gives up user data to the authorities 58% of the time. Hey, at least it's not 100%.

In 2014, we decided not to provide user information in response to 42% of all government and civil requests for private information. We pushed back and did not remove content in 69% of requests to remove content.

About 60% of the time, they are government shills every time.

What actually bothers me more is the shadow-banning. Either ban people or don't, none of this crap where people don't even know they were banned, any reason for it, or anything... I notice this is very common on the web though and not just a Reddit thing. Heck, on one site I always got tons of thumbs up for witty comments, then all of a sudden nothing even for pure gems... then realized I was shadow banned after making fun of a silly error one of the site admins made that had gotten topranked.

So, it appears that reddit wants to have their cake and eat it too. They keep the content which brings them page hits, and "readdily" divulge their user's info 58% of the time so they can proceed on their own way unmolested.

If they didn't comply with legitimate requests they wouldn't be in business very long.

If they didn't comply with legitimate requests they wouldn't be in business very long.
The various federal, state, and local governments make non-binding demands regularly, and the question is whether or not there is pushback before its released. Its not much different from how police officers will frequently make requests for information from you that you have zero legal obligation to provide, but from their point of view it doesn't hurt to ask.

At least you can say that Reddit is being up front that they won't protect your privacy if its inconvenient, and will hand everything over with the exception of the most egregiously ridiculous requests.

Yeah, I wonder how the mcfatty neckbeardington fedora douche brigade feels about that.

The various federal, state, and local governments make non-binding demands regularly, and the question is whether or not there is pushback before its released. Its not much different from how police officers will frequently make requests for information from you that you have zero legal obligation to provide, but from their point of view it doesn't hurt to ask.

At least you can say that Reddit is being up front that they won't protect your privacy if its inconvenient, and will hand everything over with the exception of the most egregiously ridiculous requests.

Huh? According to the report it's nearly all warrants and subpoenas, I was under the impression that those were legally binding. Of course I don't claim to be an authority on US law, I could easily be wrong.

You can say your the authority on anything. I can say if I am the best at it, I am it for this thread. Who they are is not what matters. What matters is this: I am the authority.

Huh? According to the report it's nearly all warrants and subpoenas, I was under the impression that those were legally binding. Of course I don't claim to be an authority on US law, I could easily be wrong.

Yes, they are certainly legally binding. All the anti-government warriors are welcome to refuse to comply with court orders at their own businesses, but I certainly don't fault reddit for it.

Since when is a subpoena an act of God? Subpoenas don't require any oversight, probable cause, or anything and can be issued by a lowly clerk or private attorney. Because of this, the only thing you are required to do is not ignore it, and its normal to challenge it and its not until this point that a judge will look at it and either throw it out (as does still happen with Reddit obviously) or cut out what you contest if they are asking for too much for example. But naturally its a question of return on investment, and as a business obviously they are usually going to take the path of least resistance unless a request is ridiculous (submit all the IP addresses of users on your board for the last 3 months) or something like that.

This is kind of expected, considering that a majority of redditors regularly create throwaway accounts so they can admit to having sex with animals, confessing to beating and raping women, and stealing from the homeless.

Back