Petitioning for 970 Refund

Signed this when there was till only a few hundred supporters. I'm pushing for a refund for mine

This is important to you guys huh?

The performance is the same as it was in the reviews that came out.

Isn't this really just a matter of technical minutia?

The only scenario where this can possible effect an owner would be in a game that doesn't exist yet from what I have seen.

NVIDIA was able to reduce the cost of production of the 970 by doing this, and surely that lower price point than typical was welcomed?

I'm disappointed it happened, but I do not feel deceived or lied to.

You guys feel slighted and are pretty burnt about it?

I'd be a little bit upset if I bought a gimped card.

Serious question... Has a single thing on change.org ever actually worked?

This is important to you guys huh?

The performance is the same as it was in the reviews that came out.

Isn't this really just a matter of technical minutia?

The only scenario where this can possible effect an owner would be in a game that doesn't exist yet from what I have seen.

NVIDIA was able to reduce the cost of production of the 970 by doing this, and surely that lower price point than typical was welcomed?

I'm disappointed it happened, but I do not feel deceived or lied to.

You guys feel slighted and are pretty burnt about it?

You obviously have no clue whats going on here.

For editing video work 3.5gb to 4gb can be a noticeable difference.

ok, just a FYI, most if not all europeans who bought the 970 before the official specs was updated, should have the option to return the card to the reseller for a complete refund, due to being promised higher than actual specs when purchasing.

I haven't checked this, is I do not own a 970, and the performance of the card has not changed, despite the specs being wrong at launch.

I'd be a little bit upset if I bought a gimped card.

You obviously have no clue whats going on here.

Maybe I am missing something that you can fill me in on. My understanding is that what you really have with the 970 is 3.5GB of memory, with a 512GB red-headed-stepchild.

However, this wasn't put in place after the performance reviews were done. The card still performs the same as it always has.

What specific scenarios are we even seeing a performance hit vs the traditional 4GB of memory setup?

Wonder how many actually noticed an issue the last four months or so of ownership or they're taking advantage of the situation because newer and better are coming out.

Maybe I am missing something that you can fill me in on. My understanding is that what you really have with the 970 is 3.5GB of memory, with a 512GB red-headed-stepchild.

However, this wasn't put in place after the performance reviews were done. The card still performs the same as it always has.

What specific scenarios are we even seeing a performance hit vs the traditional 4GB of memory setup?

GTA5 may push the limit, then what? Now your gimped card shows its flaws.

I'm making a WILD assumption but, maybe buy one that doesn't have this particular flaw?

Just sayin...

So you're going to buy a 980? Or you're going to buy an AMD card that doesn't exist since no new ones have been released prior to or since the 970's release?

So you're going to buy a 980? Or you're going to buy an AMD card that doesn't exist since no new ones have been released prior to or since the 970's release?

Personally I would return my 970 and then hold out for the next AMD release. Not because the GTX 970 is giving me bad performance in any way, but just because I like messing with new GPUs and I feel that Nvidia handled this poorly. I am not going to sit around and spend time trying to manufacture and environment where I see frame lag, but I will take advantage of any official buyback program that may creep up.

Last edited:
GTA5 may push the limit, then what? Now your gimped card shows its flaws.

That's hypothetical plus it won't be the first time that new games come out that exceeds the capability of a GPU even without 512GB buffer. Then what? Manufacturers are obligated to upgrade your GPU every time that happens?

What specific scenarios are we even seeing a performance hit vs the traditional 4GB of memory setup?[/QUOTE]

Playing at high res (4K) with lots of eye candy
Playing 4 year old games like Skyrim with high end textures
newly-released games like dying light at high res and eye candy on
upcoming games which promise to be far more graphically intensive than those currently on the market.

At least these are the situations I've seen mentioned over the last few days

That's hypothetical plus it won't be the first time that new games come out that exceeds the capability of a GPU even without 512GB buffer. Then what? Manufacturers are obligated to upgrade your GPU every time that happens?

I am saying the game may use the memory past the 3.5gb useable ram and causes the frame rate to drop drastically, which is not exceeding the capability of the card if it came with 4GB of useable ram, which is what it is advertised as.

Reviews didn't cover or had flawed methodology for testing circumstances in which these cards showcase the issue at hand.

For example, Goldentiger returned his 32" 4k 60hz monitor that he can't get the same deal on solely because he thought the stuttering was due to the monitor (it was the graphics cards)

The joke is on you :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have so many video cards that I haven't even used the 970 my gf bought me in November. Got it from best buy, one of the places nvidia can actually directly enforce a refund. Not only that I can still sell it used for more than a retail 970 at this time. No jokes on me, the card doesn't suit my needs anymore with these revelations, that is all.

I asked in the other thread if people would have even bought the card if it was advertised as 3.5GB card. A few said no, and one seemed to prefer the 980, but went with the 970 cause the drastic price difference.

Not included the coming cards that may be, if you got a refund for your 970GTX, what would you buy to replace it? The only comparable options to me would be a 980 (+$200 premium) , or a 290/290x (cheaper but essentially EOL).

I wonder how many people only want a refund to fuel the purchase of a new coming GPUs. If you can get one for that reason, good for you I guess.

All of the fuss about this issue reminds me of the good old days when people fought about 1GB vs 2GB cards. It's been entertaining to read through these threads if nothing else.

I think it would be a fair compromise to allow people to pay the difference to upgrade to a 980.

M
I asked in the other thread if people would have even bought the card if it was advertised as 3.5GB card. A few said no, and one seemed to prefer the 980, but went with the 970 cause the drastic price difference.

Not included the coming cards that may be, if you got a refund for your 970GTX, what would you buy to replace it? The only comparable options to me would be a 980 (+$200 premium) , or a 290/290x (cheaper but essentially EOL).

I wonder how many people only want a refund to fuel the purchase of a new coming GPUs. If you can get one for that reason, good for you I guess.

All of the fuss about this issue reminds me of the good old days when people fought about 1GB vs 2GB cards. It's been entertaining to read through these threads if nothing else.

Me personally I use surround and 1440p with all the eye candy and aa I can muster. I was gonna use 970 sli or tri for this rig tradeoff being lower power draw, temps, less noise, more vrAm, etc. at this point I'm gonna sell/refund and go for 780 ti sli which is actually faster at these resolutions and conditions with mature drivers....just 500mb less vram or whatever.

I think it would be a fair compromise to allow people to pay the difference to upgrade to a 980.

Your compromise is to have people effectively pay full price for a higher margin product.

Quite generous of you.

I doubt it will do anything but I signed it... I would like a refund for my 970, I don't like being lied to... and it's an actual NVidia card made by NVidia too so lets see what they do

good luck folks... i see much disappointment in your future.

Definitely good luck. Go talk to a lawyer....Sort of off topic, but I received an email a couple days ago about the PSN 2011 hack court case...

"If You Had a PlayStation Network, Qriocity, or Sony Online Entertainment Account Before May 15, 2011, You Could Get Benefits from a Class Action Settlement".

So maybe some sort of false advertisement going on here....Good Luck though.

Just because most games don't use 4GB now doesn't mean they are not going to use 4GB soon. Selling a 3.5GB card as 4GB deceived a lot of people. The performance of this card will be affected at 3.6GB or more and that is just a fact. Stutter will occur as the memory pool has a slow segment that will hold the entire GPU back even if its being under utilized. People do not buy GPUs every year and so they do research in order to find a GPU that will last them a decent amount of time. Video ram is an important aspect of any GPU purchase just as much as the bus width or bandwidth of said bus. Trying to downplay this mistake will only blow up in your face.

Now that makes total sense. Lets go ahead and reward nVidia for making a "mistake" with official specs. :rolleyes:

I have a 970, and I would have still bought it even at an advertised 3.5gb instead of 4gb. But I truly do not understand rewarding nVidia for something like this.

I find it comical that people are saying just because you do not currently use 4gb and have not noticed the performance hit that its OK that NVIDIA did this.

My son paid for all his computer parts with his own money and we built it together. He purchased a GTX970 as it was a good card, at a good price that could last him a long time. While he does not push the envelope too much currently, he plans on playing some games in the near future that will require 4gb (he is running a 144hz 1080p LCD if people were wondering on that end). Is it really fair that he will be gimped in the future although he does not currently cap it out? Thats really peoples argument?

If people wanted a gimped card, they would purchase a lower end card. NV advertised a 4gb card, not a 4gb with 512mb gimp mode. There is NOTHING wrong with people wanting a refund on something that they purchased and was falsely advertised. Anyone who says different must be on Obama's payroll.

I find it comical that people are saying just because you do not currently use 4gb and have not noticed the performance hit that its OK that NVIDIA did this.

My son paid for all his computer parts with his own money and we built it together. He purchased a GTX970 as it was a good card, at a good price that could last him a long time. While he does not push the envelope too much currently, he plans on playing some games in the near future that will require 4gb (he is running a 144hz 1080p LCD if people were wondering on that end). Is it really fair that he will be gimped in the future although he does not currently cap it out? Thats really peoples argument?

If people wanted a gimped card, they would purchase a lower end card. NV advertised a 4gb card, not a 4gb with 512mb gimp mode. There is NOTHING wrong with people wanting a refund on something that they purchased and was falsely advertised. Anyone who says different must be on Obama's payroll.

This...

If you paid for a 224 HP car you paid for 224 HP car, not a 192HP or 32 HP.

Also in addition to what I said, you also lose another important factor. Resale value.

If an AMD came out next month like some people (not that I believe this at all) are saying, what would the resale value be on a GTX970? It will be complete shit. The issues are known and how many people want to buy a card with a known issue without a significant discount?

Refund is futile considering this little disclaimer and you are getting 4GB:

•All specifications are subject to change without notice.

Best case is lawyers will get the bulk of the reward and you'll get an Nvidia t-shirt or mouse pad for the cheerleading effort the past several months that it's the best thing on earth up until the info leaked.

It can also be argued that throughput is dynamic just like there's no guarantee on FPS.

Back