Rust Programming Language Reaches 1.0 Alpha

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The developers of Rust programming language announced via their blog that the company has released Rust 1.0 Alpha. If you are not familiar with Rust, it is an open sourced programming language from Mozilla which began in 2009.

Most features and modules that will ship with Rust 1.0 are in place and will change in only limited ways during this cycle, as detailed later in this post. Only a few modules – the key ones being path manipulation and I/O – are still stabilizing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(programming_language)

If you want to see what it actually does. To me, programming languages are starting to exist more for the "hey look at me, I'm different" satisfaction and not because we are actually solving problems. Especially when nearly all modern languages pull concepts, structures and even words/syntax from the founding languages.

Have computational machines really changed so much since they first existed that we need 100's of languages? I mean look at this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages
(honorable mention)

When I see something look at a language like C, I see a professional design. This guy created foundations that the world needed to advance.

When I look at something like Perl, I see someone making tools to make work more efficient. It's to the point, and really offers something that was not available at the time.

But when I look at companies like Mozilla or Microsoft pushing a language, I see someone trying to stay relevant. That's not to say they won't be successful, but the true purpose of the language is to bring glory to the company, not to enrich the lives of the developers out in the field.

That's my take though and I am not a professional programmer.

But when I look at companies like Mozilla or Microsoft pushing a language, I see someone trying to stay relevant. That's not to say they won't be successful, but the true purpose of the language is to bring glory to the company, not to enrich the lives of the developers out in the field.

If this article hadn't pointed out that Mozilla was developing the language, would you have known? It's not even mentioned on http://www.rust-lang.org. To say that they're making the language for the "glory of the company" is silly. They're making a tool to use for their next gen browser engine.

Do you think a C-like low level language, that also supports conveniences like algebraic data types and pattern matching, wouldn't "enrich the lives of developers"? It has mine.

You've never used C# then :p.

Yeah the STL library is pretty powerful. c++14 has come a long way.

Long live Turbo Pascal and the Technojocks Turbo Toolkit !!!

Even downloading the damn manual is complicated!

As someone who has never progressed beyond an introductory hobby programming phase I feel like all these new languages are a double-edge sword. They try to make the syntax more consistent and logical which would be great for a new person just learning but then you have the missing/incomplete/contradictory documentation and serious lack of code examples. It is still better for someone like me to pick up C or C++ purely because of the vast number of search hits one can find searching for an answer to a common problem.

As someone who has never progressed beyond an introductory hobby programming phase I feel like all these new languages are a double-edge sword. They try to make the syntax more consistent and logical which would be great for a new person just learning but then you have the missing/incomplete/contradictory documentation and serious lack of code examples. It is still better for someone like me to pick up C or C++ purely because of the vast number of search hits one can find searching for an answer to a common problem.

The rust compilers for the different platforms will likely be written in C or C++. Same with the next language that comes along.

The loftier the goals the more likely a language will end up in obscurity.

Back