Quake Running On An Oscilloscope

Thats really cool. I thought it amazing when I had it running on my Palm Pre2!

Still a great game.

That was so cool. I can't believe how accurate it was, even the nail gun looked cool.

I await the day when the next generation of tinkerers gets Crysis running on a toaster or 'fridge.

I say about 10 years.

That's awesome. Wonder if they're actually entirely using the scope or if it's just using the CRT directly?

Pretty damn impressive! Good use of X-Y mode to give you free-form control over the electron gun.

But I imagine it won't look so great on a digital scope :D

That's awesome. Wonder if they're actually entirely using the scope or if it's just using the CRT directly?

Yeah, scope. If it was bypassing and using the CRT, you'd see Quake as it usually looks, but in black and white (or green/dark green :D ) in this case.

It's drawing polygons with the trace. This make sense if you've ever seen people doing dual indexed sine plotters and such on scopes.

now to get some floppy drives playing the soundtrack to go with it

now to get some floppy drives playing the soundtrack to go with it

You mean those dodas that has those floppy things you shouldn't had place on those TVee thing when you were in the 5th grade running the computer lab? :eek:

You mean those dodas that has those floppy things you shouldn't had place on those TVee thing when you were in the 5th grade running the computer lab? :eek:

Don't even think of touching that exposed oval-shaped space!!!

:D

I had a friend (well friend of my dad's) whose son would always get something on his C64 floppies. Food, something sticky, etc. (yuck) Anyway, he'd cut the top off the disk jacket, wash the disk with soap and water, then put it back in, and tape it up. Worked every time. :eek:

Ok, that's neat. When I first read the title I figured it was a modern oscilloscope that is basically a PC anyways.

Pretty damn impressive! Good use of X-Y mode to give you free-form control over the electron gun.

What's funny is I assume this would simply be a digital scope hacked directly to run quake (I think some scopes use some kind of Windows Embedded??)
This was a rather impressive waste of time...

Very, very cool. Hard on my eyes though. Couldn't look at it for too long without being all "ugh" about it.

Quake had the best music of any game in the history of gaming. I love playing on the Nightmare difficulty level.

Nothing impressive about it.
An O-scope has external horz and vert triggers. It is pretty simple to plug a TV horz in at 15750hz and vert at 60 hz; boom the O-scope is a TV.
Did this 30 years ago as an experiment when I was in school.
What is different there was he had the geometry wire frame without the textures to make it look more like a vector scan.

Quake had the best music of any game in the history of gaming. I love playing on the Nightmare difficulty level.

I like Nine Inch Nails, but the Trent Reznor material on Quake sounded to me more like generic sound effects filler than anything else. I think Sims 2's metal station has the best music of any game in the history of gaming, followed by the industrial metal instrumental soundtrack of Quake 2 by Sonic Mayhem and the heavy metal music of Painkiller by a Polish band called Mech. Honorable mentions go to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, San Andreas, and IV.

Back