Mythbusters vs. Gorilla Glass

Why didn't they have a windshield with 2 layers of Gorilla Glass?

Mythbusters doing commercials for Corning now. I do have to say that that "drop test" seems flawed because it puts all the weight onto a very tiny area of the sphere's surface hence really high PSI.

And the drop test, looks a lot like tempered glass in how it works. Very strong, until you break the surface then the entire thing explodes.

Why didn't they have a windshield with 2 layers of Gorilla Glass?
Same reason you don't have tempered glass as a windshield, if you get any sort of crack/break in the surface the entire thing goes.

Well, this video was marginally better than that stupid thing Grant did for McDonalds about their "real" food.

They lost me when they changed from a sledge on the first one to ball bearings on the second one. Hit it with the sledge, or GTFO. I'm not worried about a pebble killing me through my windshield, I'm worried about something that weighs as much or more than a sledgehammer killing me.

Not really a drop test, phones drop on their sides not on the face. Glass is pretty weak on it's side taking a point impact.

Mythbusters doing commercials for Corning now. I do have to say that that "drop test" seems flawed because it puts all the weight onto a very tiny area of the sphere's surface hence really high PSI.

And the drop test, looks a lot like tempered glass in how it works. Very strong, until you break the surface then the entire thing explodes.

Same reason you don't have tempered glass as a windshield, if you get any sort of crack/break in the surface the entire thing goes.

But it has the plastic layer to keep it all together.

I'd add that it would probably explode in a manner such that the Rubert Drop did. That seems like a valid explanation as to why they didn't show the gorilla glass windshield's breaking point on video. Millions of little pieces of glass flying right into your face.

I'd add that it would probably explode in a manner such that the Rubert Drop did. That seems like a valid explanation as to why they didn't show the gorilla glass windshield's breaking point on video. Millions of little pieces of glass flying right into your face.

Yeah I'd guess that too, because if he used the sledgehammer I'm sure he could have busted through the interior glass, and like you said, death trap to the face.

This was way more informative than I thought it would be. This is like a deluxe infomercial.

But it has the plastic layer to keep it all together.

Any Alaskan will tell you that tempered glass is not going to work for car windshields. I'm guessing you live somewhere where it doesn't get cold.

Today's PSA: If it drops way below freezing for you this winter, when you warm up your car, start by using the heater only; do not use the defroster for at least ten minutes. Running a defroster on high on a very cold windshield will shock the glass and, sooner or later, make that distinctive long crack that runs along the bottom of the windshield, usually starting at a pre-existing chip or scratch that may have been too small for you to see.

You should never, EVER dump a pot of boiling hot water on your windshield to get ice off it.

I'm surprised Jamie Hyneman went along with this. Some of the lines they gave him were horrible. It would have flowed better if they portrayed Adam and Jamie as equals during the demonstrations.

I'm surprised Jamie Hyneman went along with this. Some of the lines they gave him were horrible. It would have flowed better if they portrayed Adam and Jamie as equals during the demonstrations.

Jamie has to eat too.

While I don't disagree with you, I think that it makes it easier for people with no background in science to try and grasp the idea. You don't have to use your brain, you just follow along and go "eh, I guess it makes sense."

Got a new product? Let Mythbusters pimp it for you!

And with that their credibility is now nil.

Ok, can someone tell me what's better about sapphire than gorilla glass, which Apple wanted too use? Is it cheaper or what?

Running a defroster on high on a very cold windshield will shock the glass and, sooner or later, make that distinctive long crack that runs along the bottom of the windshield, usually starting at a pre-existing chip or scratch that may have been too small for you to see.

I have actually done this on my old car. Oops!

sapphire glass takes longer to make and is more expensive I believe.
I watched a video on how they make it, which was pretty cool.
Sapphire doesn't seem to scratch at all during the demo I was watching, while the gorilla glass did.

You should never, EVER dump a pot of boiling hot water on your windshield to get ice off it.
Father did that when I was 12 or so... he learned the expensive way to never ever do that again. I would say living near San Francisco that he has an excuse due to ignorance... but he grew up in Washington so he should have known better :D

I understand that they might like the product and the product might be good. What I don't understand is why millionaires want to prostitute themselves like this, I doubt they need the money.

I understand that they might like the product and the product might be good. What I don't understand is why millionaires want to prostitute themselves like this, I doubt they need the money.
Same can be said for every actor, athlete, and musician who's done the same thing.

Someone offered them money to do a commercial and they said yes.

Any Alaskan will tell you that tempered glass is not going to work for car windshields. I'm guessing you live somewhere where it doesn't get cold.

Today's PSA: If it drops way below freezing for you this winter, when you warm up your car, start by using the heater only; do not use the defroster for at least ten minutes. Running a defroster on high on a very cold windshield will shock the glass and, sooner or later, make that distinctive long crack that runs along the bottom of the windshield, usually starting at a pre-existing chip or scratch that may have been too small for you to see.

That is why you turn the defroster on before the engine warms up. That way, it gradually warms the windshield instead of just blasting it with hot air.

It is still way faster to dump cold water from the faucet on the windshield though, even if it does flash freeze the first time. 4-5 full glasses of cold water is usually enough to melt the ice off of the windshield.

Launch a blown up tire at it @ 100MPH, or however fast they fly when they come off an 18-wheeler.

I still want to know how slightly THICKER gorilla glass performs. The problem is that they don't make it thick enough on smart phones.

And as someone else pointed out, why not try a double-layer gorilla glass?

And as another pointed out, why not sledge hammer it?

Corning company is partly idiot as well as its customers (unless Corning is fully idiot and is dictating the thickness they are selling to customers).

No, you start by using the defroster with the engine cold and allowing the gradually warming air coming from the heatercore to slowly heat your windshield. This is, of course, only applicable to cars with no block heaters.

They probably had no say in the matter. Discovery owns the Mythbusters brand and have them under contract. In short, you pay Discovery to get the Mythbusters to pimp your shit, they pimp it or risk lost jobs and likely fallout from breach of contract.

Ok, can someone tell me what's better about sapphire than gorilla glass, which Apple wanted too use? Is it cheaper or what?

I'm pretty sure sapphire (made in a lab) is cheaper than you may think, but it is still much more expensive than glass. The idea is not that they simply 'use sapphire', but rather they cut sheets out of a massive single crystal, making the entire surface all one crystal of sapphire. This would mean there is no weak point across the entire surface, and scientists could measure the structure of the crystal and cut allong the crystalline structure, meaning that the resulting surface is even stronger.

Back